Taylor Nylon String

Started by AndyMcDandy, December 28, 2010, 10:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody!

What do you guys think of the Taylor NS line of guitars?  I played the new Jason Mraz Signature at the local G.A.S. (Sam Ash NYC) station a month ago and was BLOWN away.  I ordered myself on for christmas  :blush: 

What are you guys' thoughts on the NS series?
:donut :donut2
Larrivee OMV-10 unicorn inlay
Martin 000-1 (now a discontinued model)
Fender SRV custom (a relic'd 1992 srv artist series)
Gibson Les Paul classic black with gold hardware
Fender american strat 3 tone sunburst with tortoise shell pick guard
Mesa boogie F-50

The first time I played a nylon string Taylor guitar I was shocked that Taylor built such a bad classical guitar. I did a bit of research and discovered that Taylor doesn't claim to build classical guitars but rather nylon string crossovers. In the latest issue of Wood and steel Bob Taylor admits that he does not know how to build classical guitars but he is now learning. The nylon series Taylors are good guitars in there own write as they are great fingerpickers and have a softer sweeter voice then there steel string counter points but they don't sound like true classical guitars.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

You were blown away, so that's what counts! Enjoy it.

Yes, I concure. I did not mean to be rude. Enjoy your guitar.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

I liked the ones I have played.  They are not classical guitars, but nylon string guitars for people who usually play steel string.  I found the ones I have played to be really nice instruments and well suited to finger style playing.  I have toyed with buying one for some time and probably will at some point.  I am really not interested in a true classical guitar, but the Taylor really does appeal to me.

LJ

Quote from: Dr. LJ on January 02, 2011, 07:46:33 AM
I liked the ones I have played.  They are not classical guitars, but nylon string guitars for people who usually play steel string.  I found the ones I have played to be really nice instruments and well suited to finger style playing.  I have toyed with buying one for some time and probably will at some point.  I am really not interested in a true classical guitar, but the Taylor really does appeal to me.

LJ

You said that well. Myself, I love a true classical, a flamenco even better. The Taylor nylon doesn't give me what I want from those - but they are sweetly made.

I love the sound of nylon strings but do not love the feel of the neck that feels as wide as a freeway  :winkin:

Larrivee OMV-10 unicorn inlay
Martin 000-1 (now a discontinued model)
Fender SRV custom (a relic'd 1992 srv artist series)
Gibson Les Paul classic black with gold hardware
Fender american strat 3 tone sunburst with tortoise shell pick guard
Mesa boogie F-50

My friend has one and I had it for about a month.  I think it sounded pretty good but in terms of a true classical it left me wanting my traditional 2" neck.  That's just personal preference however.  They are a nice hybrid alternative.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: AndyMcDandy on January 03, 2011, 08:22:37 AM
I love the sound of nylon strings but do not love the feel of the neck that feels as wide as a freeway  :winkin:

You should like the Taylor NS series as they do NOT have the traditional 2" width at nut that almost all classicals have.

Find one, play one and as original post said, if it blows you away, ENJOY it for a long time!

Play in good health!
:nanadance
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

I just had one briefly...  a NS32CE.  I've played electric for nearly 40 years and acoustic for about 20.  I wanted to play around with the nylon sound.  I don't know classical guitars at all.  The Taylor sounded better than any other nylon string guitar I've tried.  It played ok, too.  I've never been able to play on the 2+ inch wide fingerboards that classicals have.  At 1 7/8", the Taylor was playable.  The more I played it, the more I came to appreciate the sound.  In the end, I decided it would take longer than I wanted to spend to get a real useful sound out of it and the switch between nut widths was more than I was up for.

For a steel string player who wants to try nylon, they seem to be a good solution (with some work, as expected).  For people wanting to play classical, not so much.  That is based on comments from people I know who do play classical and have tried them.

Ed

I've wanted to like Taylor NS guitars, but I've found them to be a big disappointment. In fact, I've had two tries - an NS-44, and a 72 - but both went ebay way in the end. The problem, as others have suggested, is the acoustic sound. I know they're not a classical guitar and we shouldn't expect them to behave like one, but they should sound distinctive and imnpressive in some way, given the quality of woods and the cost.

I tried a number of Taylor nylon string guitars.  Then, I stumbled upon a Lowden nylon guitar, the S25 jazz.  Love, love, love it, especially plugged in.
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote from: AndyMcDandy on January 03, 2011, 08:22:37 AM

My search for a narrower neck nylon led me to an Ibanez electric acoustic EWN28xxx after finding Godin's slender neck wasn't really an acoustic since it can only be played plugged in.  Custon wise... the Kirk Sands model are terrific, expensive, and also need amp but are beautiful.
Larrivee LSV11E Fingerstyle
Martin SW00-DB Machiche LE; Martin LX1E
EJHenderson Koa 00 OMC; Gretch Hawaiian Delux

I like them if you are going for that particular "nylon sound" but still want to play in the style of a steel string flattop.  If, however, you are looking for the true classical nylon string guitar, the Taylor is not what you are after because of the neck. 
I do think it is a great hybrid, especially if you are looking for the "Jason Mraz" sound.  :nana_guitar
10' Martin D-18VS
67' Martin 0-16NY
10' Martin M-36
94' Martin HD-28
12' Martin 00-15M
04' Martin J-15
06' Gibson CJ-165 (Blonde maple)

I like the Taylor as I was going to take the nylon plunge but went with the Guild GAD n4 as the first try. Lower cost in case I do not take to it and it came with a 1 3/4. At first blush I like it but it came with medium strings and think I want to go a to the harder strings, probably the dell'arte
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Prestige Eclipse

I think for what these are the Cordoba Fusion is a better deal..

I haven't played the Taylor, but I have owned a Breedlove Atlas NS for a few years and LOVE it.

It's a PacRim guitar, but with the solid cedar top and rosewood back and sides, the thing is amazing.

Especially for the price.  :thumbsup

Definitely worth looking at if you're in the market and don't wanna drop a Bunch-O-Dough.  :guitar