Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telecaster Model  (Read 13507 times)
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:43 AM »

Hey, Sman, what's the "Carvin" cab in that last pic? Speaker cab? Amp?

Carvin speakers that go with my MX842 8 channel mixer.  They work great to hold up my counters in the cave.  

Steve ....aka the SMan
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »

Some updated pics of my Warmoth flamed walnut Tele with newly added pickguard...Lollar Special T in bridge and Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy in neck with a 4-way switch (...and yes, the switch tip fell off during some of the pictures!).

Very nice ! What is the weight like on that one ? Somehow I always equate dark coloured wood with being heavier than light coloured 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »

Very nice ! What is the weight like on that one ? Somehow I always equate dark coloured wood with being heavier than light coloured 

I was always the opposite - think maple vs mahogany  both theories are equally wrong tho I'm sure 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »

In this case it's very light, because it's actually a thinline body without an F-hole...so it's light and resonant! Just weighed it for kicks - 7.2 lbs.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »

I also have a tele parts guitar in the works and should be finished in a few weeks. I am calling this one the "Teleporter" because it has the look of an original '52 with some intricate electronics that will give a wide array of tone options. It will have a '52 reissue pickup in the bridge position and 2 Seymour Duncan mini-pickups (Vintage at the neck and Seymourized in the middle). A five-way switch will give the usual strat-type pickup combinations. A push-pull volume pot will engage an expander circuit that turns on the bridge and neck pickups (think David Gilmour) in the 1st and 5th switch positions. An on-on-on mini-switch will control serial/coil splitting/parallel selection for the middle pickup.   

The main problem with combining single coil and humbucker pickups is finding the right balance between potentiometer resistance and capacitor values. If you get it wrong, you will wind up with either the dreaded icepick to the ear or a muddy sound. Wiring schematics for Fender hotrod and Fat teles and for the G&L ASAT Bluesboy (see their websites) provided some insights on parts selection and I will experiment with different caps when I get the guitar assembled.

My hope is that by trying different electrical components, I will be able to get a good tone balance. I should mention that I picked these mini-pickup models because their output is not too high for use with a '52 bridge pickup. Just to be sure that this project will work out, I plan to install a tone control that provides a high level of control over treble and base. The push-pull tone circuit I am using provides separate high- and low-bypass filtering. I always liked the way my G&L Legacy had separate tone knobs for treble and bass (too bad it is long gone).

If anyone is interested, I will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers 

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender `54 Special Edition Stratocaster
Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster
`62 Stratocaster parts guitar (my best playing and sounding guitar)
Pizzecci acoustic

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »

If anyone is interested, I will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers 

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender `54 Special Edition Stratocaster
Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster
`62 Stratocaster parts guitar (my best playing and sounding guitar)
Pizzecci acoustic

Interesting and Interested gotpics?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 01:19:38 AM »

thirdlake,

I'm definitely interested in keeping up with your build.  Considering adding a second pkguard/pup option to my ASAT so that I have a "minihum" option to go with the MFD single coil bridge.  Can swap the sets back and forth depending on my whims.

G&L makes a "bluesboy" edition of the ASAT classic with a bridge humbucker using the same 250k pot set up as the "standard" model.  Lots of players are very enthusiastic about the sound.

So please bring on the pics, wiring diagrams and recordings...

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2006 G&L Tribute ASAT Classic (modded pickups)
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »

I am waiting for the last pickup to arrive. If it does this week, you won't have to wait long. First, I have to get the router out to make room in the body for the two mini-humbuckers and to put a hole in the pickguard for the middle pickup. Not a job to rush. Next step is to install the shielding.

My inspiration for this build was the Legatto Deuce by Vinetto. Nice to see top boutique builders updating tele-style guitars. Leo Fender kept making improvements with his G&L line and I hope the trend continues.

http://www.vinettoguitars.com/index_files/guitars.htm

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »

My inspiration for this build was the Legatto Deuce by Vinetto. Nice to see top boutique builders updating tele-style guitars. Leo Fender kept making improvements with his G&L line and I hope the trend continues.

http://www.vinettoguitars.com/index_files/guitars.htm

They have an incredible neck

thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »

The G&L neck? I had to learn to do fret work and guitar setups after owning one. Once you are spoiled by such a high level of quality, you can't settle for less.

The neck on my G&L Legacy Deluxe had zero relief (no neck bend), but had super low action with no buzzing. That is a sign that the frets are perfectly level. Typically, factory specs aim for 0.01 inch or higher relief at the 7th fret to solve buzzing problems from sloppy fret work.  Now, when faced with a new guitar neck, whether US or elsewhere, I level, crown and polish the frets and start to set up the action by adjusting the truss rod to give zero neck relief. I will then increase to a maximum of 0.004 inches if I can`t get the action as low as I want. Of course, there are lots of other adjustments (bridge, neck shims, tremolo springs...) along the way.

Anyway, the point is that G&L makes a great guitar that is usually set up perfectly at the factory. I have seen enough Fenders to know that they can build some great guitars, but you usually have to work on them to make them play well. 

More and more factories are using PLEK machines to replace a manual setup that will take a couple of hours if done right. If that is what it takes to get a good player - Long Live PLEK!

Cheers

thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »

Hi, I finished my double fat tele today and am very pleased with the outcome. The electronics were pretty complex so it is a big relief that everything worked on the first try. I am not allowed to post pictures yet, but will when I can. You may or may not like my choice to go down the aging road. It took me a while to get used to the idea, but I flip-flopped and am now a believer for some guitars. 

I will be experimenting to find the sounds that I like the best, but it can twang, quack and may even shred (just not by me). I may need a map to keep track of all the sound possibilities from the 5-way switch plus expander, parallel, series, and coil-splitting options. My first impression of the PMT Dual Mode Tone Control is also very positive. 
thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »

I forgot to mention that the 250 K pots and 0.022 pf cap were the best choice for these pickups. They work for the G&L Bluesboy and they do the trick in my Teleporter.
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »

The G&L necks are amazing, especially the birds eye versions ...

This one is on an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow

and this is on an ASAT Classic Custom

thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »

Love those G&L necks. Has anyone used both the American and Tribute ASATs? Just wondering if the import models measure up to a similar level of quality.

This tread stared with a question about tele versatility. I don't really think think they are very versatile and Hendrix said that it only gave one good sound. That is one reason I just made a telecaster with three pickups ('52 reissue single coil bridge pickup and the Seymour Duncan Vintage and Seymourized mini-humbuckers). The mini's are so smooth. They fit nicely between the bell-like sounds of most strats and the wall of sound from a Les Paul (they give more definition in the treble and mid-range frequencies).  They also combine nicely with the singe-coil.

Here are the promissed pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]
thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »

Ok, so I need to learn how to send pictures. Trying again...

thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

One more try

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »

WOW very neat work,I just rewired a PRS that was done by a pro that looked like a bomb went off in the control cavity,it so nice to see clean neat work.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »

I've been thinking about adding a middle pickup to my Warmoth Tele for the very reason Hendrix mentioned...I feel like there's something lacking - especially in the middle position. And the 4-position switch doesn't fix the problem, in my experience...it's just a beefed up version of the middle position sound, which I'm not that crazy about.

Thanks for the encouragement to move forward - and my apologies to those of you who truly love your Tele's "as is".

BTW, all that wiring fit back into that tiny control cavity on the Tele? Amazing...according to the pics you got it in there...  wacko

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
thirdlake123

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

It all went in with room to spare. There is lots of depth to the cavity.

Wiring jobs get pretty messy at times: even from the factory. My 2010 Les Paul is an exception. It is so neat that they put an acrylic cover over it so that you can see it.

Wiring is more than just adding heat and solder, but not much. You can put a hot soldering iron on a potentiometer for an hour before it will melt the solder and you will destroy the pot doing it. The secret is in using tip tinner. The solder will melt after a few seconds and you wind up with a much better connection. You have more time to think about how to organize your wiring.
KenHolden

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

I've been looking at Tele's lately too, and I'm trying to decide between an American Standard, 52 reissue, or a MIM Nashville.

My other option is to put it together myself with a warmoth body and neck, and get the rest of the hardware to build it how I want it.  Has anyone built a tele from parts? was it more expensive to do it this way rather than buying a stock one, and making small mods?

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print