"chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." !!BOOM!!

Started by ummagumma, December 20, 2010, 04:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

well I saw a big bin full of chestnuts while I was grocery shopping, so I picked some up, with this song stuck in my head

of course, no one ever told me you need to poke holes in them to let the steam escape

:roll

put 5 in my toaster oven to test out, saw a couple develop splits in the shell as they roasted...great, easier to peel!!

and then

**BOOM**

one at the back exploded...kinda like when I put an egg in the microwave, as a kid, to see what happened  :whistling:

cracked oopen the glass to pull them out, and

**BOOM**

another one exploded

good thing I didn't have it in my hand...woulda been embarrassing in emerg explaining the shrapnel

now there are toasted chestnut guts sprayed all over the inside of my toaster oven  :angry:

...let this be a warning to anyone else naiive to attempt this without proper precautions  :blush:

Goodthing to know.I'm glad I prefer mine pre-roasted.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The user instructions specifically state ..."on an open fire". Time to read the manual again.  :cheers
Ron

haaa...

well if I'd done that, there'd be chestnut guts all over the living room...yes, that's where my fire pit is, right in the center of the livingroom....just like Asterix & Obelix :beer

Gotta say, but that is my favourite Christmas song of all time.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Wow!  That is quite a Christmas story.  Glad you are ok.  Sorry about your toaster over, though.

But the question is, now that you know how to cook them are you going to try again?

:donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut :donut

Chestnuts are awful.  Go out in the yard and gather up some acorns, roast those and you will have the same thing and it won't cost a dime.

Absolutely the worst thing I have ever eaten in my life.LJ :yak:

wow that's a pretty in depth article...interesting about soaking/boiling them before roasting, I'll have to try that

LJ -->unf no acorn trees in my back yard...but I'll buy some of them next time & roast as well, good idea

I've had some prepackaged chestnuts that tasted awful, like chewing the thumb off an egyptian mummy....not that I've ever done that...but these fresh roasted ones I did tasted great

smilodon: yep, going to give it another shot!

I have 15 oak trees in my yard.  I will save a bucket full for you next fall.

I have to admit, I never had the fresh, roast them yourself kind, only pre-roasted ones I bought at a stand somewhere.  Ack!

My wife said years ago she tried to roast some in a pop corn popper in the fireplace and the chestnuts burned a hole through the popper and fell into the fire.

One dangerous snack, I am thinking.

Quote from: ummagumma on December 21, 2010, 05:08:47 PM
wow that's a pretty in depth article...interesting about soaking/boiling them before roasting, I'll have to try that

LJ -->unf no acorn trees in my back yard...but I'll buy some of them next time & roast as well, good idea

I've had some prepackaged chestnuts that tasted awful, like chewing the thumb off an egyptian mummy....not that I've ever done that...but these fresh roasted ones I did tasted great
smilodon: yep, going to give it another shot!

This thread is making my day.   :roll

Quote from: ummagumma on December 20, 2010, 10:30:16 AM
haaa...

well if I'd done that, there'd be chestnut guts all over the living room...yes, that's where my fire pit is, right in the center of the livingroom....just like Asterix & Obelix :beer

Funny story. Thanks

I seriously considered putting a fire place in the house like that. My wife didn't care for the idea. She's a city girl. I should have done it anyway. We opted for a freestanding fireplace.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

LOL ROFL
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"