Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Yarrow Larrivee  (Read 1699 times)
Stare Vidro

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »

Hi, i saw some of you guys are asking questions about Peter Yarrow's Larrivee. I just had an ability to touch this exact guitar and ask him a few questions about it (after the recording session in the studio).

So, maybe this will help.

It's a custom Larrivee made 15 years ago especially for him. As a replacement for the one that was stolen and recovered in 2005. Peter says he prefers Larrivee for the beautiful lower mids, which no Martin can give.

As I can judge, it's an L-body, spruce top, rosewood back and sides (Brazilian, probably), mahogany neck with a ebony fretboard. Sure, all solid. The bracing on a back is pretty unusual - looks similar to the classic guitar. Bridge is rosewood, some original rosewood pins are missing and replaced with the plastic ones. Fretmarkers are tiny and hardly seen. Abalone around the sound hole and on the headstock. And that's basically it.

Peter also told me that his first Larrivee came back broken, but he fixed it later. He's still using it (and loves the sound), but not on a tour - it's too fragile.

As for me, his current Peters' Larrivee is in a pretty pour shape. There are a few big cracks in a lacquer on the top, the lower side of a sound hole is a bit crushed with the pick. And on the upper bout are pieces of paper (stage lists, i guess), sticked with the scotch tape layer by layer. Man just not seems to care much about the guitar. It still sounds great, though))))

Concerning the rubber band, which covers the logo, i believe it's not about the endorsement, it's much simpler. Peter just using it to hold the thump pick on one side and a regular pick on the other. I'm not sure sure, but it looks like this))

That's the story))http://starstime.com.ua/articles/1205.html
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »

Cool post!

Imagine how that axe would sing without a bunch of paper and Scotch tape all over it ...

"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »

Wish I'd known you were going to be meeting him. I used to see Yarrow a couple of times a year when I was in college. We'd gotten friendly when I covered a concert of his for a college paper. He was in Boston frequently, on tour, political fundraisers, etc. He put together some amazing concerts when John Kerry started running for office; Yarrow wasn't just a performer, he recruited the artists, worked all the sound, etc. Very committed, talented guy.
I'd love to know if he remembers the two young men who came to his hotel room with their new handmade guitars from out West. Yarrow seemed really taken with the instruments and that was the year he got his first Larrivee--almost 40 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago (and I'm that old!
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »

Stare vidro,  Thanks so much for sharing that.  The first time I realized he played a L body Larrivee, I got a huge charge.  As an eight year old kid I learned my first chords and songs from a PPM song book.  Mom had several of their early albums and that's what sparked me to learn guitar,  singing and how to harmonize.  I am blessed to have seen them live twice.
Stare Vidro

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »

Wish I'd known you were going to be meeting him. I used to see Yarrow a couple of times a year when I was in college. We'd gotten friendly when I covered a concert of his for a college paper. He was in Boston frequently, on tour, political fundraisers, etc. He put together some amazing concerts when John Kerry started running for office; Yarrow wasn't just a performer, he recruited the artists, worked all the sound, etc. Very committed, talented guy.
I'd love to know if he remembers the two young men who came to his hotel room with their new handmade guitars from out West. Yarrow seemed really taken with the instruments and that was the year he got his first Larrivee--almost 40 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago (and I'm that old!

Hey, leftync

I'm afraid i have no chance to ask him. That was just one recording session, and that's it
Stare Vidro

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »

Cool post!

Imagine how that axe would sing without a bunch of paper and Scotch tape all over it ...

I don't think that paper affect sound much. Some people think that guitar is a thing worth caring or even woreshipping, and some just don't)))
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »

I guess his Larrivee didn't have a clear pickguard on it. I replaced them on two of mine with the Larrivee tortis, which looks very nice on the old, classical-rosette Larrivees. But any pickguard is better than none. Well, Peter looks great for a man his age and sounds great as well. Hope I run into him again some time.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »

Unless there are some custom elements about his Larrivee (and there certainly could be), the bridge is probably ebony (which is what Larrivee uses on all their acoustics). Just don't want anyone to be confused about that.

(The Rev) Mikeymac

My Larrivees (left-handed):     1992 OM-05     2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top     2009 RS-4 w/Larrivee humbuckers in Rootbeer Burst    
2010 RS-2 w/P-90's in Amber satin    2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
GCEA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »

Peter's first guitar with PP&M was a Martin D-28S made for Wurlitzer.  It had many guitar players fooled as it did not have the Martin logo on the headstock.  I can see why he switched to Larrivee because the L-body is very close to the D-28S (slope neck body - 12 fret) but it gives the extra 2 frets of a 14 fret neck.  I think the L is a perfect hybrid of a dred and an OM body guitar and is one of the most under-rated of all steel string guitars on the market today.

Jack
Stare Vidro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »

I guess his Larrivee didn't have a clear pickguard on it. I replaced them on two of mine with the Larrivee tortis, which looks very nice on the old, classical-rosette Larrivees. But any pickguard is better than none. Well, Peter looks great for a man his age and sounds great as well. Hope I run into him again some time.

In fact, it has a pickguard. I noticed it, looking at certain angle
Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »

My Local PBS station (KQED, San Francisco had a fund raising drive a few weeks ago and Peter was on it. He was definitely playing a Larrivée.

Larrivée L-03- (LH)
Larrivée L-03R- (LH)
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7 (LH)
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: