Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jld Bridge System  (Read 1171 times)
jcbuggs

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2004, 11:54:31 PM »

Anybody have any experience with this?

http://www.jldguitar.com/index.html

I have a thirty year old Alvarez 5023 that has a bellying problem. The saddle is adjusted as low as it can go, but the action on the upper frets is still terrible. Although the sound of this guitar is pretty amazing for a relatively inexpensive instrument, I don't want to spend a lot of money to have it repaired. But this is a new item to me and sounds like it could help solve the problem. It seems like an simple fix, but being a bit skeptical of all things simple and cheap, I am looking for anyones input.

Thanks.

Joe  

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:22:05 AM »

I've used them now and again to save a guitar or two.The biggest down side is you have to run a screw though the bridge to conect the system.Its best to have it installed by a pro,that said makesure they truely understand what there doing.You can easily mess up.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:23:11 PM »

It does work for an otherwise unsalvagable top.  And it does change the tone somewhat.  But it is a pretty slick idea.  Installation best left to someone who knows what they are doing if you don't.

E. Shoaf
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 11:43:29 PM »

This sounds like a "kids don't try this at home" project. I know that Breedlove uses this system on most of their guitars. I'm wondering if part of their signature sound, which I hear as big round sound with a real slow attack, is because of the bridge truss?
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:28:56 AM »

I installed a JLD on an older Yamaha FG

It straightened out the top, will keep it from bellying again, and improved the tone.  A real winner of a product IMO

As for installation, if you have any small degree of mechanical type aptitude, it will be an easy fix - just think through all the directions after reading thoroughly.  Piece of cake

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 12:52:26 PM »

Breedlove does use the JLD on most models, but they design the top around it, which is different from using it to shore up failing braces.

E. Shoaf
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:06:44 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their input. It sounds like this thing works, but the question is, do I have the mechanical ability to install it or should I have someone do it professionally. I did read through the directions and they sounded detailed and complete. I guess I'll sleep on it for a bit, while I acquaint myself with my new L-03R.

Thanks again for your responses.

Joe

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 02:14:44 PM »

BM,

Before you did this install, did you have any experience working with guitars or guitar repair? The directions sounded straightforward to me, but I have never attempted any guitar work on my own, so I am a little skittish about it.

Thanks.

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 04:20:35 PM »

Hi jcbuggs,

I have a 30 year old Takamine with the same problem and have been considering the JLD as well. If you decide to install the JLD let us know how it went.

BTW, have you inspected the neck joint too? Sometimes guitars as old as ours need neck resets and I don't know if the JLD would help out there. I would also personally leave it to a pro - I just couldn't see myself drilling a hole through my bridge without messing something up!  :o  

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 05:27:04 PM »

BM,

Before you did this install, did you have any experience working with guitars or guitar repair? The directions sounded straightforward to me, but I have never attempted any guitar work on my own, so I am a little skittish about it.

Thanks.
I was a bit concerned myself.  I make saddles and do most basic setup work and have done so on about 10 to 15 guitars through the past year.  I wouldnt say that I am an expert but I have learned to get things right - or to know when something is BEYOND my capabilities and for a pro.

The directions ARE fairly straightforward.  As you reread them try to understand the reasons for each step.  When you proceed go slowly and deliberately making sure you understand the following steps.

It has been a year or so since I installed one, but my main cautions to you would be in drilling through the bridge for the attachment screw - go slowly and dont go too far (though recoverable if you did).  It suggests a certain kind of bit to do that job.  I think I got mine at a Home Depot.  Also, make sure you dont cut the dowel too short, thinking through how it will go through the block and adjustability with the little screw.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.  IMO, if you routinely try to do it yorself type projects and are careful, you can do this...

Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Gibson L-130
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »

I've got an old Applause that cooked in my car when I was in the ignorance of youth instead of the ignorance of middle age, and this thing looks just like it might be the ticket for fixing that guitar.

I wonder if it would work on a curved sided Applause however.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Big Martin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 02:19:16 PM »

I've got an old Applause that cooked in my car when I was in the ignorance of youth instead of the ignorance of middle age, and this thing looks just like it might be the ticket for fixing that guitar.

If the applause has a tail block pece of any kind it should work.

If it doesnt have one, it will be harder to install, maybe impossible

The JLD has to have a bearing surface down on the inside tail of the guitar to work

Larrivee 000-50
Gibson L-130
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 04:36:54 PM »

If the applause has a tail block pece of any kind it should work.

If it doesnt have one, it will be harder to install, maybe impossible

The JLD has to have a bearing surface down on the inside tail of the guitar to work
I wrote JLD and asked, and it won't work on my thin-body applause - rats!!!!!

I might just perform some surgery with his idea, however, and put some torque on the underside of the bridge by pulling it towards the back, kind if 1/2 way between a direct projection of the bridge onto the back, and where the endpin is located.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: