How many of you play mandolin?

Started by Johnny M, December 08, 2010, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: CZERO9RW on December 05, 2011, 09:51:29 PM
Actually, it looks as though it may be one of the mandolin store's custom distressed Weber models.

I've owned a few Webers' and feel Bruce makes a nice instrument.

This one above looking to be a fine example!

Yep it's a DiamondBack

1 look at the frets though and you can tell it gets played, a lot.

I'm thinking about getting a refret in stainless
Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD

Quote from: Johnny M on October 21, 2011, 11:12:39 PM
I saw your post over on the mandolin cafe about your trip to the Mandolin Store.  I would love to be able to sit down with that many mandolins around me at one time.  You must of thought you died and gone to mando heaven  :winking:

My son has been playing for just over 2 years and I promised him when he started that I'd get him an F style if he practiced hard and stuck with it.  Well, he kept his end of the bargain so I had to keep mine. Here is a picture of him just after opening the case and one of him playing it.  And here is a link to a video of him playing it last night.  Great mando, but I still prefer my Larrivee A-33 over it!

John

Lonesome Fiddle Blues on Weber Yellowstone

Wow, your son was amazing! 

I love the mandolin so much, I could possibly give up guitar for it ( though I'd probably get more gigs AND money for my guitar playing )
Just have a Michael Kelly A+ that works for me. My friend Andy won at Winfield ( not sure if it was guitar or mando ), won a Gallagher guitar. But more importantly, he's the owner of a new Larivee F model!. It was only a couple of weeks old when he let me play it. What a nice instrument! I'll never be able to justify that kind of money to my wife but IF I had disposable income, I'd dispose of it that way............ :thumbsup

+1 here
The fiddler in our band started playing mandolin (some songs required its sound more than the violin's), and after trying his 1919 Lyon&Healey, I was converted too.
It feels very easy and fun to play. Currently making first steps on Fender FM62SCE thinline but definitely see a "proper" acoustic in my future.
Maybe even a Larry, if I'll be lucky enough to find one used.
Cheers!
:nana_guitar

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

I stuck my toe in the water over the past couple years, too. Been trying out Eastmans (Eastmen?). I'd love to try a Larrivee but I've never seen one around here...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Wow! Beautiful Eastmans! I tried 505 at our recording session recently. Liked it very much.
Though I knew that I'd be restless until getting a Larry :) So one deal is in works now ;)
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

I can do the two finger chords when called upon.  Don't have my own however.  http://www.tennesseesounds.com/Articles.asp?ID=252
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I'm a beginner on mando too. According to Joe Walsh pegnation course you can use D, C, ang G chord patterns to play virtually any chord. Easier than on guitar ;)
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

:donut :donut2 :coffee
The pic is of my Suzuki mandolin which was given to me as a gift 40 years ago.
It is the instrument I have owned the longest. It is pictured with my newest guitar, a Forum V RS-4.
The neck has sort of split from the body, so it is no longer playable.
I used it on some home recordings. I would like to get another mandolin.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Beautiful guitar on the background!
:nice guitar:
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on December 12, 2015, 04:03:48 PM
Beautiful guitar on the background!
A convenient cameo appearance opportunity. :bgrin:
Mike
Suzuki Model 45
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 20, 2011, 10:09:19 AM
Very nice Atlas! Do you know the builder's name?

i remember seeing a few magic twangers plaued in vancouver and victoria back in the eighties and ninties.  they are really cool.  i found a warby octave mandolin a few years ago. had a top crack that was repaired but the tone is fantastic. better than many that cost three times as much terry warby is a great ugy and a loss to instrument making as he now mostly makes jewelry.  he found he made a lot more money with that, and had more creative range.  cool instruments.

i have never tried a larrivee mandolin. wish i could decades ago i was in spokane washington at the "sound hole" music store and found a gibson 1924 snakehead A mandolin. rode hard but a cannon. bought it and never looked back.  i am not a new high end mando guy.   i love the sound of old gibsons from the teens and twenties and i think they are waaaay under priced to this day.  (except for lloyd loar f 5s).  i have a refinished snake head and a 1919 a4 now, different but all fantastic mandolins with that loud woody tone that made gibson famous. i have a couple of japanes or korean cheap ones that have good tone. there are some decent asian mandolins, and i prefer my korean special for busking in winter.(an aspen f hole A)

i would like to try a larrivee someday.

i have 2 jcl mandos. a F-33 and an oval A. BOTH ARE EPIC

Quote from: dlsteel on October 05, 2017, 11:25:09 PM
i have 2 jcl mandos. a F-33 and an oval A. BOTH ARE EPIC

:gotpics:
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

jBovier F-5 Vine.  Carved Sitka top, carved maple b/s

My Eastman 805V.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

I recently picked up this bad boy. Octave Mandolin
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Lovely!
Serge

2009 Larrivée A-33

I have owned a Collings MT for a few years.  Still very green but such a nice instrument.  A lifetime keeper.