How many of you play mandolin?

Started by Johnny M, December 08, 2010, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've got an old Harmony Monterey that mostly hangs on the wall and looks cool.  I've had to replace the tuners and bridge which is a pain on those Harmonys.  I enjoy playing it, I just don't do much of it, especially with the new OO.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 22, 2011, 10:54:12 AM
Flake off spammer! 

Thankfully the moderators have taken care of this poster. Office Pro indeed! He (the newbie spammer) had tacked basically the same come on replies on three other topics.

I'm all for "live long and prosper" but not by spamming us to buy (likely illegitimate) products.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: GeeNorm on June 22, 2011, 04:25:43 PM
Thankfully the moderators have taken care of this poster. Office Pro indeed! He (the newbie spammer) had tacked basically the same come on replies on three other topics.

I'm all for "live long and prosper" but not by spamming us to buy (likely illegitimate) products.

Norman

I wish they'd have removed my post as well. Now I kind of look ... even crazier than usual.  :laughin:

But Duck I already know that your crazier then what most think.Keep it up. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I own a mandolin...don't think that qualifies for playing, at least not yet. Would LOVE a Larry mando, F style of course as I LOVE the strap holder. :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

HEre is mine:

Flat Spruce top
Rosewood back and sides
Oval Soundhole
3 piece back
Made by an instrument maker in Canada. I met him while he was building this mando.
Here is another of his instruments:
The Magic Twanger. It is a mix of Mountain Dulcimer and Mandolin

Very nice Atlas! Do you know the builder's name?

The Brand is Celtic Heart and the builder is Terry Warbey from Salt Spring Island.
He quit building guitars and instruments years ago. I feel very blessed to have these two. If the mando got stolen or broken, I know I could replace it with something that would work for me. If the Magic Twanger was lost I could not find a replacement...

I play a bit.  here is one I built:

A friend playing it.  He is an awesome player on mando, fiddle, and guitar.  This was when it was just done and neck adjustment was still to be done as well as it had a couple of high frets.  Thankfully there are no clips of me playing it.   :rolleye:

I play an Eastman 505, A-style. My wife plays it much of the time when we're making music together.  It's a great instrument. 

Here's mine. Heritage H40 Mandolin. Heritage only had a few of these babies made, back in the '80s/early'90s. This is from our gig this past weekend in Steelville, MO for the Patriot Guard.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Here's a couple new...well, one of them is not exactly new: it's a Gibson A Jr. circa 1924-25'ish. The Eastman Mandola is a special project between David Grisman (the Dawg) and Eastman. It's a replica of his 20's era Lyon & Healy Brownface. I'm loving it!

Here's the little A Jr. :

...and, here is the Mandola :

...and here is a pic of them both sitting in my reading chair just a-waitin' to be played!

Ahhhh... life is good!  :arrow

I saw your post over on the mandolin cafe about your trip to the Mandolin Store.  I would love to be able to sit down with that many mandolins around me at one time.  You must of thought you died and gone to mando heaven  :winking:

My son has been playing for just over 2 years and I promised him when he started that I'd get him an F style if he practiced hard and stuck with it.  Well, he kept his end of the bargain so I had to keep mine. Here is a picture of him just after opening the case and one of him playing it.  And here is a link to a video of him playing it last night.  Great mando, but I still prefer my Larrivee A-33 over it!

John

Lonesome Fiddle Blues on Weber Yellowstone

Quote from: CZERO9RW on October 13, 2011, 12:28:47 PM
Here's a couple new...well, one of them is not exactly new: it's a Gibson A Jr. circa 1924-25'ish. The Eastman Mandola is a special project between David Grisman (the Dawg) and Eastman. It's a replica of his 20's era Lyon & Healy Brownface. I'm loving it!

Here's the little A Jr. :

...and, here is the Mandola :

...and here is a pic of them both sitting in my reading chair just a-waitin' to be played!

Ahhhh... life is good!  :arrow
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Awesome! I sure do wish my Dad, or anyone for that matter had bought me a Weber when I was first starting out... Well, I guess Weber wasn't around all those many days ago!  :laughin:

Very nice mando that should last him and inspire him to play for quite awhile.

Yes, it is always nice to visit Dennis & Brian's shop. I have been working with Dennis for many years. Back when he was just starting up in his old shop in Ohio.

I was doing cartwheels when he called me and told me he was moving to Arizona. They originally were in Wickenburg, a couple hours away. They moved to Surprise, essentially West Phoenix this past Summer and that puts them only 45 minutes away... Not so sure that is a good thing!  :nana_guitar

I noodle, my mandolins are much better than I am, hopefully I will catch up, donuts and coffee for everyone :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee
1999 Larrivee P-01
Rover Rm-75 Mandolin
Too Many Projects, not enough finished guitars.

I have a really nice Breedlove Americian 00 in Sunburst. I have a K&K pickup installed and it sounds soooo much better than piezio's!!
Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits

Here's my Mando

More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD

Nice.
And it gets played!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Actually, it looks as though it may be one of the mandolin store's custom distressed Weber models.

I've owned a few Webers' and feel Bruce makes a nice instrument.

This one above looking to be a fine example!

I've playing mandolin for about 30 years now and I'm lucky enough to have asked the great John Monteleone to build me one in 1982. Now I would be able to afford it but it's such a great instrument, I will never sell it. :beer
Just because you can doesn't mean you should