Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something New  (Read 6777 times)
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »

Oh boy something new!   

I guess I will have to get a mandolin now.

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »

Oh boy something new!   

Mike

You and all the rest of us.     gotpics?     

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »

Oh boy something new!   

Mike
So many of you make want  an RS I can't get, and now I AM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET A MANDOLIN I'LL WANT EITHER!?  crying

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »

So many of you make want  an RS I can't get, and now I AM TO NOT BE ABLE TO GET A MANDOLIN I'LL WANT EITHER!?  crying

+1

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »

Get a mandolin.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »

Yes! Please DO buy a Larrivee mandolin!!!  +1 +1 +1

As a person who has owned several mandolins (mandolin is my primary instrument) the Larrivee mandos are one of the best deals out there right now.

In my opinion, for whatever reason, their guitars have never received the amount of respect they deserve and the mandolins are experiencing the same.
arbutusq

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »

I think the reason Larrivee doesn't get the respect they deserve is they are neither fish nor fowl.  Larrivee guitars (and the mandolins I;ve played) are balanced and versatile, straddling traditional and modern, making them incredibly versatile.

Their mandolins for example,don't quite have a traditional Gibson sound but they aren't as modern as say a breedlove, so a player specializing in bluegrass is less likely to use one, but they are still great for the style.
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »

I agree on the guitar versatility aspect, but not so sure about the mandolin.

I think the mandolins just don't get enough exposure. They are fairly traditional, moreso than the guitars they build, yet folks (especially bluegrassers) aren't drawn to them by the name. Larrivee just isn't part of the BG brotherhood. Definitely no problem in my book.

From my experience, and a primary reason I shied away from BG in my early days, it's INCREDIBLY clicky. You either owned a Gibson, or played a model from a small shop run by a luthier that had been anointed by the BG police as a Gibson disciple.
arbutusq

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »

Bluegrass is very cliquey, even if you own a Gibson mandolin it has to be an f style.  I get looked down on for my Gibbie A9 because it don't look like what Big Mon played, yet its tone is second to none.

I think the Larrivee mandos have a great tone for BG.  A bit brighter than a traditional Gibson but still a great tone.

I got dumped on in the other acoustic guitar forum for suggesting that an OM guitar could hold its own in a bluegrass jam.  Apparantly  because Tony Rice used a dreadnought I have to too....
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »

Ya' know, I like this forum more and more!  +1

I was certain I was going to have the local representative of the BG Police Association read me the riot act for my anti-establishment comments.

Don't get me wrong, I love BG music. I'm just not big on the 'Establishment'. Your A9 experience being a perfect example.

It's kinda like what my brother says about our sister: "She's my sister and I love her, but I sure don't have to like her!"  -
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

I'm not in the heart of bluegrass country (although I did buy some seed yesterday), so those "clicky" things don't really apply where I am.  Most people that see and hear my mandolin are really impressed with it, and Larrivee does make a great mandolin.  It doesn't sound like a Gibson because it isn't.  Take it for what it is and play the snot out of it.  It also amps very well, but that is a whole different discussion.

I've played a Breedlove, Weber, Gibson A-9, a Collings and a few other different mandolins since buying my Larrivee and still have a smile on my face.  They were all good in different ways and I enjoyed playing them, but nothing got my head scheming to try and acquire.  

My mandolin needs are covered, but I have kids coming up the rear.  An octave mandolin/bouzouki might be in the cards for my oldest son and that leaves my youngest son (soon to be 6).  They really want a scroll.  I originally thought I could hand down the Breedlove to my youngest, but I don't think he wants to give it up as he's become quite attached to it.  I could get something like a "The Loar", Kentucky or Eastman.  Not too expensive, but from what I've heard, decent sounding and playing.  OR, I could get and my oldest an F-4 style (oval hole, scroll) and hand down his Breedlove to his little brother.  Still lots to figure out, but I'm in no rush.

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »

Bluegrass is very cliquey, even if you own a Gibson mandolin it has to be an f style.  I get looked down on for my Gibbie A9 because it don't look like what Big Mon played, yet its tone is second to none.

I think the Larrivee mandos have a great tone for BG.  A bit brighter than a traditional Gibson but still a great tone.

I got dumped on in the other acoustic guitar forum for suggesting that an OM guitar could hold its own in a bluegrass jam.  Apparantly  because Tony Rice used a dreadnought I have to too....

Phew, Boy! An OM playing BG?  cop cop cop  That musta been a doozie!

I have an OM and it sounds just fine playing Jerusalem Ridge.

It's really kinda sad there is that much bias.

Like I mentioned earlier: It's great music and is a definite part of North American heritage.
arbutusq

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 04:18:47 AM »

I bring my OM to any jam I please, but I think the reaction of some folks is funny.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

Phew, Boy! An OM playing BG?  cop cop cop  That musta been a doozie!

I have an OM and it sounds just fine playing Jerusalem Ridge.

It's really kinda sad there is that much bias.

Like I mentioned earlier: It's great music and is a definite part of North American heritage.

That's the problem: too much conformance and not enough performance. Personally I think BG would be much BIGGER if new sounds were created (and you don't do that with F-5 Gibbies and D-18 Martins, period!). I applaud builders like Larrivee and Breedlove for daring to be individualistic.

As far as NEW Grass: Has anyone heard The Waybacks featuring James Nash playing a SCGC OM or the founding member, Stevie Coyle playing a Collings 00? And I LOVE their sound!!!

"Only an opinion but it's MINE!"

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

The few time's I've gone to BG jams I always brought my Gibson A3 which is an oval hole teardrop and my Gibson L7 which is an archtop.Most laught until I started playing them.I have stated before that until B.Monroe started playing his F style the teardrops with either F holes or ovals were used and many time's the guitars were archtops.I too have used an OM to play BG.Its so much fun bucking the system.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »

Its so much fun bucking the system.
You're such a rebel, unclrob. 

(here, have a donut.)   
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »

Thanks I think I will.I believe I have some in the oven. bigrin

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »

The few time's I've gone to BG jams I always brought my Gibson A3 which is an oval hole teardrop and my Gibson L7 which is an archtop.Most laught until I started playing them.I have stated before that until B.Monroe started playing his F style the teardrops with either F holes or ovals were used and many time's the guitars were archtops.I too have used an OM to play BG.Its so much fun bucking the system.

I hear what you're saying, but I believe Monroe took Old Time Mountain Music and (for lack of better term) 'Jazzed it up' with his playing and they started calling it Bluegrass. Thusly, we now have the guy considered to be the Father of Bluegrass playing an F-style mando, so EVERYBODY is supposed to follow suit, or it just ain't Bluegrass... I don't agree with this, and mean no offense to those that do.They are certainly out there. I run into them quite frequently. Usually playing my Arches Flat Top Oval Hole!  +1

Just about ANY type of mando was used in the playing of Old Time. Even cigar boxes with a stick and bailing wire strung from one end to the other.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »

It ain't whatcha play! It's HOW you play!!!

I really like hearing that a lot of us on this forum are rebels at heart!!! Buck the system and have some fun, dangit!

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: