Thoughts on C03E Island Edition Mahogany Top? (Khaya)

Started by lumbage, December 03, 2010, 03:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a limited edition model so I can't find much buzz about it...
Does anyone have any thoughts on this guitar?  I have played two different guitars of this exact model and they are quite nice.

What do you think?  Good value at this price range?  What else should I be trying out before making a decision?

http://tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=241&inv=148612

Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

:smile:

Considering the appointments I think the price is fair. I have a hog top OM and love it, haven't experienced Khaya.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thanks for your thoughts.  By any chance do you know what "C03E" means?  ...or where I could find out?  
I think the "C" may stand for Cutaway, and "E" for exclusive.... but what about the numbers?

C stands for Florentine cutaway (as opposed to V for Venetian cutaway)
E stands for pickup (electric)
O3 is appointment level

Wow, that's a pretty tricked out 03!  The cutaway, pickup, headstock inlay and larger fret markers.  Looks nice.

This is a unique model, and I expect will sell out fast once it becomes known. Mahogany tops have a sound that many players like. A C-03 with mahogany top is rare. I expect this guitar is great in open tunings like slack key players use as well as others.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I expect this guitar is great in open tunings like slack key players use as well as others.

That would explain the palm tree

I played one a few weeks ago - for only a few min while i was picking up strings tho....

Here's a few thoughts;

1) on first glance it seemed very golden in color, and i thought it might be straight grained Koa.. certainly more color in it than most of the somewhat pale colored Mahog that Larrivee uses

2) i had played an all Koa OMV10 that is about ten years old a few days earlier and in my mental comparison i preferred memory of the OM, it had a sweetness and clarity in the mids, a real growl in the low end that the C03 did not show.. so all up i thought i would prefer to wait for the right Koa to cross my path, and put the C03 back in the hanger

Your mileage may vary, and in 10 years one of these might be every bit as good & then you get the fun of getting to that point your self ;-)

d/

Quote from: dermot on December 03, 2010, 09:38:54 PM
I played one a few weeks ago - for only a few min while i was picking up strings tho....

Here's a few thoughts;

1) on first glance it seemed very golden in color, and i thought it might be straight grained Koa.. certainly more color in it than most of the somewhat pale colored Mahog that Larrivee uses

2) i had played an all Koa OMV10 that is about ten years old a few days earlier and in my mental comparison i preferred memory of the OM, it had a sweetness and clarity in the mids, a real growl in the low end that the C03 did not show.. so all up i thought i would prefer to wait for the right Koa to cross my path, and put the C03 back in the hanger

Your mileage may vary, and in 10 years one of these might be every bit as good & then you get the fun of getting to that point your self ;-)

d/

Very doubtful you'll get an all koa for 1500 bucks.

Quote from: Walkerman on December 04, 2010, 12:54:21 PM
Very doubtful you'll get an all koa for 1500 bucks.

Oh yea!

The one i played (thanks ST!!!) was a bit more expensive - but for me the experience renforced the idea that it's worth waiting for the right. guitar..  they will always find you...  the only reason i picked up the C03 was my experience with the Koa wonder, i really did think the C03 was straight grained Koa at first glance

To some extent it's apples and oranges tho...  this OMV10K - still totaly mint after a decade of playing, and a new C03;

That C-03 has the California palm tree logo that my old LV-19E had on it.

Seems like it's found a new use, and I like it.............

.................but I don't have a spare $1599 right now :crying:
Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.

I just acquired one of these. To my understanding, there were only 19 of this exact model made. Are there any thoughts on this? Is that a fact?
Are they really that rare. Also, what was the original MSRP for these? Thanks in advance for the help.  :cheers
Larrivee C-03MT "Island Edition"
Epiphone AJ-500RNS
Epiphone Swingster "Black Royale" Limited Edition

Quote from: Brushes on April 30, 2013, 02:57:46 PM
I just acquired one of these. To my understanding, there were only 19 of this exact model made. Are there any thoughts on this? Is that a fact?
Are they really that rare. Also, what was the original MSRP for these? Thanks in advance for the help.  :cheers
:donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut2                                                                                                                                                                             Tom lee got 34  + (1 from larrivee Vancouver shop just before they closed ) :+1:

Quote from: Brushes on April 30, 2013, 02:57:46 PM

I thought there were 24 (+2 extra). But maybe there was 18 (+1 extra). I can check if someone gets me a serial number on any of them. I can also pull up the MSRP. They were all built for Tom Lee music of Canada.

Wow. Way to dig up an old thread...  :ohmy:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut.   . Tom lee music Island edition  " 32 in the original run " (larrivee service department).  May 9 2017. Email 
Quote from: C 03 mt on June 09, 2018, 03:27:42 AM
             :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut2                                                                                                                                                                             Tom lee got 34  + (1 from larrivee Vancouver shop just before they closed ) :+1:

Sn 112574 sept 22 2010.  $ 3000 Canadian  ???  ////      Notable guitars : island edition limited run 2013 c03k ( 11 koa + spruce. / 4 koa + mahogany  ) sn 122190    $3299 us.   :cheers

Mine has a spruce top.  C-03 K Island Edition Vancouver, BC 5/28/2013  serial number 122192.  Awesome guitar...
George

I changed the bushing / washer and buttons with some spare parts I had ( black ). The black bushings  and washers make the headstock inlay stand out more. IMO

I put nickel Gotoh 510's on mine, enhances the headstock nicely...
George

LS03mt  was for sale in Vancouver bc. Seller said it was 1 of 16