Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would like everyone to weigh in on your opinion. Luthers and Pros Especially  (Read 3747 times)
xeroid

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 03:21:47 AM »

Of course they should but you don't have a warranty issue because that is the type of product they sell.  I'm not sure how to say it any other way - you say the guitar is in a certain state and Larrivee claims this state is within their specs so it stands to reason that the guitar you bought is the type of guitar they intend to sell. This philosophical and ethical crusade is a waste of energy. If you don't want a guitar with a borderline neck set don't buy or keep a guitar from a company who sells guitars with borderline neck sets.

I had a customer just today who had exchanged a product at least half a dozen times prior to today. We finally decided to cut our loses and give him his money back. The guy then threw a fit saying we should just upgrade him to a better doohickie, what about all the gas it took to drive back and forth, he needs this doohickie and we have to honor the warranty. So a manager gave in and let him exchange it one more time. In the near future some idiot will come in upset because his doohickie quit working again.

I certainly understand your logic.   I am afraid that if this problem is not rectified as I feel it should be under warranty, and it is the opinion of Larrivee that marginally set necks are not a problem they want to address,  then indeed I will have to conclude as you mention that this is the quality of product Larrivee intends to sell to the public and I will also conclude that their warranty is worthless.  As a business man myself, and even in tough economic times, this would not be the direction I would want to take my company in.  It's short sited.  Sure Larrivee may save on not doing the right thing with this one .... but it will cost them many more sales down the road.  I still hold Larrivee as the one who should be responsible and not the dealer.  I would certainly return to the same dealer, but not to buy another Larrivee product if in fact Larrivee does nothing or says that sanding the bridge is the fix.  Remember, this is not a problem on my other Larrivee parlour.  Nor would I recommend anyone else buy a Larrivee.  NOW ........ There is still a chance that Larrivee may indeed see this neck is set borderline or the dealer may.  And then again, they may not.  I know it can be fixed by sanding away some of the bridge ..... but it's not necessary on my other parlour and I am sure not necessary on many other parlours in the stores across the country.   I mean, come on, there has to be a few of you guys that might own a parlour guitar.  Have any of you had to sand the bridge down to achieve a normal action?   So it all comes back to the same thing .... should Larrivee be responsibility and honour the warranty?

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 04:07:23 AM »

Larriveee has said that the guitar is in spec.They feel there is no reason to reset the neck.Would I want to force the issue"NO" its not worth it to me and I'm a major a**h*le and proud of it.So now what do I do,"I" return it for a refund and move on.I see all sorts of brands of guitar,new and used and have told clients that there new/used guitar has issue's and if it where me I'd return it to the "store" they bought it from.I don't think I can say more clearly.Also no 2 guitars no matter what the spec's come off the line the same.Here's something too scare you in the last 20 years of doing repairs I have yet to have a guitar come across my bench that didn't need fret work.this include cheap junk and more then a few custom builds in the thousands.Also you would never have to remove an 1/8 of an inch from any bridge bottom.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
xeroid

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »

Larriveee has said that the guitar is in spec.They feel there is no reason to reset the neck.Would I want to force the issue"NO" its not worth it to me and I'm a major a**h*le and proud of it.So now what do I do,"I" return it for a refund and move on.I see all sorts of brands of guitar,new and used and have told clients that there new/used guitar has issue's and if it where me I'd return it to the "store" they bought it from.I don't think I can say more clearly.Also no 2 guitars no matter what the spec's come off the line the same.Here's something too scare you in the last 20 years of doing repairs I have yet to have a guitar come across my bench that didn't need fret work.this include cheap junk and more then a few custom builds in the thousands.Also you would never have to remove an 1/8 of an inch from any bridge bottom.

Now lets be reasonable.  Larrivee could say it's within their parameters, or anything else they want to say,  but that only tells us that they think it is normal  to have bridges on their new guitars sanded down to obtain a reasonable action, while I do not as I am sure others will agree.  And I am sure as well as I think you are, that not many Larrivee guitars that go out of the factory would need any sanding down of the bridge ever.  As a matter of fact I have another Larrivees that will never need the bridge sanded down and can set any action up I want.  So what does this tell you?  It just tells me that this guitar is not the same as the rest of them .... that this one is borderline or marginal.   And to me when buying a NEW Larrivee is unacceptable.

What if they take off 1/16 to 1/8" right off the top of this bridge?  Would that be a bad idea?  Wouldn't that give us more showing of the saddle and allow more adjustment today and into the future and also give more string bend over the saddle?   Is this really going to give any negative effects?  And wouldn't you think this would certainly be covered under the warranty?  I don't think anyone would think that sanding down a bridge would be considered a NORMAL part of a set up on a new guitar.

You say to simply return it to the dealer and get one that is not marginal .... do you think the dealer wants this one back on the shelf?  That they will simply agree to exchange it?  

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 05:22:12 AM »

No one's being unreasonable.You feel that they should reset the neck and they have basically said no.Next step is bring it back,explain that you've been in touch with Larrivee and your not happy with there responce and you wish to return it as you are unhappy with.A reasonable dealer will take it back and either replace it with anothe or even just refund your money.This doesn't seem to be your goal.You want us to say that Larrivee should just fix it under warranty as that produced a bad product,this isn't going to happen.They say shave the bridge.If the bridge is shaved its shaved from the bottom not the top.I have shaved many a bridge bottom for those that don't want to pay for a neck reset,in my book its a viable option,many don't,too each his own.In the long run you bought the guitar from a dealer and too the dealer you should go to get resolution.We do not own Larrivee on this forum were just fan's for the most part.We do not dictact there policies.Many have posted things that there not happy with and wanted what you want and didn't get it.Some still hang here some don't.I don't understand why your beating us up and yourself for that matter.The solution is now in your hand and the dealers hands as again you bought it from them not Larrivee.Call,email showup at the store and I am sorry its 4 hours away but thats out of all of ours control.Which has been stated in almost all the post.Hey maybe you should show up at the factory and demand that they honour there warranty no matter the fact that they see no problem.If it helps I had a client that spent $8K on a custom build that had the worst setup and abunch of other things wrong with it.He sent it back the builder told him that that was the way he built his guitars and it was perfect and he should learn how to play.When he asked for a refund he was told "That ain't gonna happen" hung up the phone on him.$250 latter he got the guitar he thought he paid for.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
xeroid

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »

No one's being unreasonable.You feel that they should reset the neck and they have basically said no.Next step is bring it back,explain that you've been in touch with Larrivee and your not happy with there responce and you wish to return it as you are unhappy with.A reasonable dealer will take it back and either replace it with anothe or even just refund your money.This doesn't seem to be your goal.You want us to say that Larrivee should just fix it under warranty as that produced a bad product,this isn't going to happen.They say shave the bridge.If the bridge is shaved its shaved from the bottom not the top.I have shaved many a bridge bottom for those that don't want to pay for a neck reset,in my book its a viable option,many don't,too each his own.In the long run you bought the guitar from a dealer and too the dealer you should go to get resolution.We do not own Larrivee on this forum were just fan's for the most part.We do not dictact there policies.Many have posted things that there not happy with and wanted what you want and didn't get it.Some still hang here some don't.I don't understand why your beating us up and yourself for that matter.The solution is now in your hand and the dealers hands as again you bought it from them not Larrivee.Call,email showup at the store and I am sorry its 4 hours away but thats out of all of ours control.Which has been stated in almost all the post.Hey maybe you should show up at the factory and demand that they honour there warranty no matter the fact that they see no problem.If it helps I had a client that spent $8K on a custom build that had the worst setup and abunch of other things wrong with it.He sent it back the builder told him that that was the way he built his guitars and it was perfect and he should learn how to play.When he asked for a refund he was told "That ain't gonna happen" hung up the phone on him.$250 latter he got the guitar he thought he paid for.

If I may .... could I ask you why it's the bottom of the bridge you say to sand and not the top.  I think Larrivee suggested the top.  And when you look at the picture, it is at it's thickest along the saddle and bridge pins and it's thinest at the outer edges.  So removing wood from the bottom would make the outer edges even more thin, not to mention you would have to remove and then re glue the bridge.  It just seems a lot easier to take it off the top.  But I am sure you have a reason.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 05:36:27 AM »

You say to simply return it to the dealer and get one that is not marginal .... do you think the dealer wants this one back on the shelf?  That they will simply agree to exchange it?  

Yes I do!!!!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
xeroid

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 05:38:23 AM »

Yes I do!!!!!!!!!

I'll let you know if it works  bigrin
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »

If I may .... could I ask you why it's the bottom of the bridge you say to sand and not the top.  I think Larrivee suggested the top.  And when you look at the picture, it is at it's thickest along the saddle and bridge pins and it's thinest at the outer edges.  So removing wood from the bottom would make the outer edges even more thin, not to mention you would have to remove and then re glue the bridge.  It just seems a lot easier to take it off the top.  But I am sure you have a reason.

Removing material from the bottom can be done in a standardized fashion, from the top will be free hand. Removing from the top will lower the depth of the saddle slot and mess up the bridge pin hole chamfers.

xeroid

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »

Removing material from the bottom can be done in a standardized fashion, from the top will be free hand. Removing from the top will lower the depth of the saddle slot and mess up the bridge pin hole chamfers.

I see your logic, but wouldn't it be an easier job and a more clean / neat job to increase the depth of the saddle slot and and clean up the bridge pin holes instead of removing the bridge off the sound board and having to re glue it back on.  Just a thought 
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »

I see your logic, but wouldn't it be an easier job and a more clean / neat job to increase the depth of the saddle slot and and clean up the bridge pin holes instead of removing the bridge off the sound board and having to re glue it back on.  Just a thought 

A good repair person can remove the bridge reduce its height not affecting the bridge pin holes, contours or any shaping the bridge may have, and reglue.  To me this would provide the best result.  (And easier IMHO)

That said, if I had a brand new guitar that had an issue like you describe I would return it to the dealer.  I don't buy many new guitars but the ones I have purchased came from dealers with good return policies regardless of what the manufacturer is willing (or not) to do.   

Steve ....aka the SMan
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »

No

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »

Back in the late 70's early 80's we took it off the top.Now for reason's stated we take it from the bottom.Please take it back,call or email first.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: