GOTOH Tuners

Started by ffinke, November 26, 2010, 11:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sounds like the shaft was tweaked or bent - maybe it got hit, that would also weaken the knob.

But the Gotohs are really nice, and I wouldn't be too upset about needing to buy a set -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

No, it was not hit, bent, or otherwise damaged. However, it was strung with mediums.

My guess is that the casting is made of a cheaper/inferior alloy, and the stress of mediums caused the hole for the shaft to wear or deform enough to get the gears misaligned.

I know the Gotoh 510 are a drop in replacement for the Pings, but are these?...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Large_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html?tab=Details

I don't really want to spend a lot on the D-02. One of the tuners is a little catchy for some reason.

Thanks!
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

These are what I put on my Larrivee's, direct drop in replacements...midsize.  I love them,  the 18:1 gear ratio is really nice for precision tuning, I do not like 16:1 at all. It does look like the ones you linked to are drop ins too but I do not know.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Mini_510_Tuners_with_Metal_Knobs_3L3R.html
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I had 510 mid size on my L-09. Fantastic tuners. I wonder if those minis would work. I kind of like the smaller buttons.

Does anyone have a pic of the 510 minis on a guitar?

But I am trying to contain cost, so the above question still remains.
It's still morning, so..  :donut  :coffee
Dave

Just found the answer in the FAQ section.!

Still looking for pics of a guitar with the 510 minis (not midsize) on it. Thanks!
Dave

If cost is a factor and you just want a working tuner, you may have success posting in the gear section and asking if anyone has an extra stock tuner that isn't needed. I used to have some but have given them all away to forum members.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Open-backs: Gotoh - I just love those tuners on my Eastman

Closed-backs: Gotoh - love the 510's on my Canteri

Schaller closed-backs are the war horse of tuners together with Grover Rotomatics.

Having said this all I have to agree with Rob that I have never had problems with the standard Pings that were fitted to my 3 Larrivees.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: dave42 on April 23, 2013, 09:30:13 AM
Still looking for pics of a guitar with the 510 minis (not midsize) on it. Thanks!

The model # of the 18:1 minis is SGS510Z.

http://www.japarts.ca/Article.asp?fID=2013-03-AG-Parlor&Title=Installing+Gotoh+AG+Aged+Gold+Minis+on+a+Larrivee+Parlor+P-03

I have the 21:1 regular sized ones on my Larrivee - they are a whole other universe of smoothness and precision.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: GGBB on April 26, 2013, 02:34:23 PM

I have the 21:1 regular sized ones on my Larrivee - they are a whole other universe of smoothness and precision.

I'm curious. From your point of view, do you like 21:1 over 18:1?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on April 26, 2013, 02:49:09 PM
I'm curious. From your point of view, do you like 21:1 over 18:1?

Definitely.  But I'm comparing Larrivee Ping 18:1s versus the Gotohs, so not exactly apples with apples.  There's a noticeable increase in the sense of precision that you get when making fine adjustments.  Not dramatic, but definitely noticeable.  And they are so smooth and tight!
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: dave42 on April 23, 2013, 07:36:19 AM
I know the Gotoh 510 are a drop in replacement for the Pings, but are these?...
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Large_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html?tab=Details

I don't really want to spend a lot on the D-02. One of the tuners is a little catchy for some reason.

Thanks!

Gotoh model # is SG381 and, yes, that drops right in. I installed the black ones on my L-03 and they fit perfectly.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1721be48c8410eae&id=1721BE48C8410EAE%21167
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

If you like vintage style buttons, Warmoth has the SG38 a little cheaper than StewMac: http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-SG38-Tuners-C727.aspx.  I put them on my Squier '51 - extremely good for the price - nice and solid.  Not sure of the difference between the SG381 and the SG38.
Gord

I decided to go with these tuners on my D-02.. Much better than the Pings that were on it. Drop in fit. Although I really like the 510's, I saw a pic over at UMGF of a dread with 510's on it and they looked out of place on such a traditional style of guitar.

The D-02 had been fitted with Martin bridge pins at some point. I had slotted the bridge a couple of weeks back and turned the pins backwards. I had an extra set of Stewmac unslotted ebony bridge pins in my Collings' case, so I tried them in the Larrivee's bridge. Perfect fit! So I ordered these with the black dot. The sound is a bit more... mature.. It sounds like the wood is working better. (I'm terrible at describing things!)

Anyway, I'm done messing with the D-02... Time to play!
Dave