GOTOH Tuners

Started by ffinke, November 26, 2010, 11:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's funny how a few years ago everyone was talking about changing from the Ping tuners to Gotohs. Well, I got caught up in the frenzy and, having just purchased a used L-03 I decided to upgrade the stock tuners.

Every time I pull the guitar from the case I'm amazed that the guitar is in perfect intonation from the last time I played it. The Gotohs (mine are the black NON-510 variety) are absolutely the best tuners I've ever dealt with. I've got two other guitars with Waverlies on them so that is saying something and they cost less than half.

On Breedlove's new American Series guitars (and I believe on other series as well) they are using the Gotoh 381 tuner. To me that spells class! I couldn't be happier with my Gotohs!!!

What's everyone else's preference in tuner?

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Its funny but I'm just as happy with the Pings as I've never had a problem with them.Thats not to say that the Gotoh's are bad I just don't have a reason to change them.Most people have me install Grover's as replacements.I have used the Gotohs and find them to be fine tuners.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I put Gotoh deltas on my D-05 and they are splendid but the Grovers on my 1975 L are still the best tuners I've ever used.  

Quote from: ffinke on November 26, 2010, 11:20:40 AM

What's everyone else's preference in tuner?

Schaller, Gotoh, Grover, Ping.  in that order.

Edit to add:  I don't actually think the full-sized Pings are that bad, but the mini-Pings like on my 12 string and Parlor are really sloppy.

I've no problems with the Pings, mini or standard. Guitars are always in tune no matter how long they have been cased.

:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Other than my F3, which got Gotoh Deltas for the looks ( it was so special I just had to "pimp" it ) I've only replaced tuners when I've had a failure. They all work reasonably, but the Gotoh 510s are really outstanding, even compared to some Waverly's -

I would jump on a nice set of used ebonoid knob/gold body tuners for my Patterson if anyone has an extra set - again, just for looks - the ones it has are working fine -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I'm thinking of upgrading the pings on my J-05 with Gotoh 0903s. I want something that will drop in without issue and these seem to fit the bill. I was hoping to find some Schallers that would just drop in but I can't seem to find any. I like the Schaller look for some reason.

I don't know if anyone else has had trouble locating the catalog for Gotoh tuners but I have. I know that Stew-Mac has their own stock number system which can get confusing. I finally found what I believe to be the de facto Gotoh catalog. The site also has a link to the 'official' Gotoh Web-site. I always thought they were English made but I guess not.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to look at the catalog they can find it here: http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/Gotoh.html

f

And if anyone wants to order a set, it may well be worth your while to contact Scott Ando at Domo International  -  <domointl@gmail.com>  -  He was very helpful in trying to do a group order for the Forum 3, and will special order any combination of tuner/color/button that Gotoh makes -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: ffinke on November 28, 2010, 10:43:09 AM
Anyhow, if anyone wants to look at the catalog they can find it here: http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/Gotoh.html

f

Thanks, saved a copy to my Puter.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I just picked up a used D-03 (clear pickguard vintage)....any issues changing out the Ping tuners to the Gotoh 510's that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
David

As far as I know the 510s and the 381s should fit. The thing to make sure of is the 45 degree offset of the securing screw.

That would look GOOD! And play good, too.

f

I have it on good authority that a set of chrome 510 21:1's will find their way into my my 00-03R's stocking this year :nanadance

Quote from: zpcm04 on December 03, 2010, 08:16:45 AM
I have it on good authority that a set of chrome 510 21:1's will find their way into my my 00-03R's stocking this year :nanadance

We'll see how you behave the rest of the year.  :whistling:

You and I think alike, I've steered my wife in the same direction for Christmas, not the Delta's but the 18:1 510's for my new L-03IS.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I have had a large Ping go bad. With no change to the knob tension it could be very loose one moment and jammed tight a moment later. I assume that wear was allowing the shaft to move around and bind up somehow.

I do have several sets of Pings that are fine. Not great, but certainly adequate.

However, I also have a set of Gotoh 510s, and they feel better than any other tuner I've used. Even the cheaper Gotoh's on my Ibanez AS73 feel better than any Pings I've used.

I don't think the open Gotoh's on a Martin I tried were all that great, but frankly I don't "get" the fuss over Waverlys either. Imho, they don't hold a candle to the 18:1 510.

I would probably never choose 21:1 except for possibly a guitar that would always be strung with mediums. I've never tried them, but 18:1 feels like plenty to me. 'Course, that may be because I'm more accustomed to 14:1 or even stiffer.

Quote from: unclrob on November 26, 2010, 12:15:34 PM
Its funny but I'm just as happy with the Pings as I've never had a problem with them.Thats not to say that the Gotoh's are bad I just don't have a reason to change them.Most people have me install Grover's as replacements.I have used the Gotohs and find them to be fine tuners.
In all fairness, I have a beat-to-heck '72 00-18 with Grovers that still feel great. Not as nice as the 510, but entirely respectable.

Quote from: sgarnett on December 05, 2010, 01:14:34 PM
I have had a large Ping go bad. With no change to the knob tension it could be very loose one moment and jammed tight a moment later. I assume that wear was allowing the shaft to move around and bind up somehow.

I do have several sets of Pings that are fine. Not great, but certainly adequate.

However, I also have a set of Gotoh 510s, and they feel better than any other tuner I've used. Even the cheaper Gotoh's on my Ibanez AS73 feel better than any Pings I've used.

I don't think the open Gotoh's on a Martin I tried were all that great, but frankly I don't "get" the fuss over Waverlys either. Imho, they don't hold a candle to the 18:1 510.

I would probably never choose 21:1 except for possibly a guitar that would always be strung with mediums. I've never tried them, but 18:1 feels like plenty to me. 'Course, that may be because I'm more accustomed to 14:1 or even stiffer.

I have it on high authority (!) that the big problem with Ping's from Larrivee have been the ebonoid buttons which often behaved badly and failed. So they switched to the metal chrome and it seems problem solved.

FWIW I put GOTOH 510 Deltas with Rothesay buttons on my L-09, and have stock Ping Mini's/metal on my P-09. The 00-03 came with Schallers and the Eastman 12 with Schaller Mini's. All have been just fine, thought the Gotoh's have a extra feel of excellence when I think about it.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on December 06, 2010, 11:53:37 AM
I have it on high authority (!) that the big problem with Ping's from Larrivee have been the ebonoid buttons which often behaved badly and failed. So they switched to the metal chrome and it seems problem solved.

The Pings on my P-01 parlor and D-03R-12 are still pretty crappy. (all chrome) The Grovers on my Guild are much more precise and a lot less sloppy.

Quote from: cke on December 06, 2010, 11:53:37 AM
....though the Gotoh's have a extra feel of excellence when I think about it.

That's the feel I was referring to: just smooth and rock solid.
f

I did indeed have an ebonoid knob fail. However, that was on the same tuner that was already binding. I'm not convinced there was anything really wrong with the knob design. They just weren't strong enough to fight against the binding tuner.

My Gotoh's have plastic knobs too (I chose them to keep the peghead weight down). I don't expect any problem, since the turning effort is so smooth and consistent.

And yes, I know the Ping knob tension is adjustable. That doesn't help when a tuner is both too loose AND too tight without changing the tension.