69 Things to Love About Bob Dylan.

Started by ducktrapper, November 25, 2010, 01:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 26, 2011, 11:48:32 AM
You have an interesting relationship with dogs then.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I wouldn't treat a dog like that either, hence I don't have any dogs in my house.

And maybe I have no idea what Dylan's talking about, but it just don't sound right.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2011, 11:44:35 AM
Well ... b*tches are b*tches, after all.  :whistling:

yes, shame on you for that one ducktrapper.   :cop:
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 06:44:06 AM
What? I was kinda hoping we'd all evolved a little more than to still have those views. Sounds like the kind of thing your old man would've said. :smile:
I hope I am misinterpreting this, but it seems as if you you are championing men becoming more effeminate?
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

Quote from: Glennd on January 26, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
I hope I am misinterpreting this, but it seems as if you you are championing men becoming more effeminate?

What does "effeminate" mean?

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 11:58:40 AM

I wouldn't treat a dog like that either, hence I don't have any dogs in my house.

Ok, so you don't want women or dogs in your bed. Got it.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 12:07:54 PM

What does "effeminate" mean?
female like, as in more like a female than a male
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

To be more precise, it deals with males who are more female. A woman is not considered to be effeminate. She can be more or less feminine, however.  

ef·fem·i·nate   /adj. ɪˈfɛmənɪt; v. ɪˈfɛməˌneɪt/  Show Spelled
[adj. ih-fem-uh-nit; v. ih-fem-uh-neyt]  Show IPA
adjective, verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing.  
–adjective
1. (of a man or boy) having traits, tastes, habits, etc., traditionally considered feminine, as softness or delicacy.
2. characterized by excessive softness, delicacy, self-indulgence, etc.: effeminate luxury.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 26, 2011, 12:19:11 PM
Ok, so you don't want women or dogs in your bed. Got it.

How did you end up with that conclusion? 

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2011, 12:49:32 PM

–adjective
1. (of a man or boy) having traits, tastes, habits, etc., traditionally considered feminine, as softness or delicacy.
2. characterized by excessive softness, delicacy, self-indulgence, etc.: effeminate luxury.

None of that is allowed if you are a real man, unless you are a musician and you can make your guitar gently weep.

How ridiculous does this have to get?  :gotdonuts:

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 01:05:32 PM

None of that is allowed if you are a real man, unless you are a musician and you can make your guitar gently weep.

How ridiculous does this have to get?  :gotdonuts:

Ridiculous? Words have meanings. Decisions have consequences. Trends have ... um ... destinations. And George Harrison was hardly effeminate.  :smile:

If

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2011, 01:23:07 PM

George Harrison was hardly effeminate.  :smile:

Then in response to:

Quote from: Glennd on January 26, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
it seems as if you are championing men becoming more effeminate?

I would say, no I am not championing men becoming more effeminate, but rather,  less macho and condescending toward women as in Dylan's song "Just like a woman" and less needy and dependent like in "lay, lady lady" 

But hey, that was all forty-five years ago, I trust Dylan's grown up a bit since then.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 01:05:32 PM

Lay Lady Lay(Across my big brass bed) + "I wouldn't treat a dog like that either" = joke

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 01:40:22 PM
If

Then in response to:

I would say, no I am not championing men becoming more effeminate, but rather,  less macho and condescending toward women as in Dylan's song "Just like a woman" and less needy and dependent like in "lay, lady lady" 

But hey, that was all forty-five years ago, I trust Dylan's grown up a bit since then.
Just shows how dumb I amm. I thought all these years "Lay Lady Lay" was a love song. Telling his lover what she meant to him. Thanks (I think) for educating me.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Quote from: Glennd on January 26, 2011, 01:56:09 PM
Just shows how dumb I amm. I thought all these years "Lay Lady Lay" was a love song. Telling his lover what she meant to him. Thanks (I think) for educating me.

Well it probably means that too for most people. I just think that calling the woman you sleep with and claim to love "lady" sounds so bizarre. Don't we usually reserve the name "Lady" for female pets?

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 02:06:08 PM
Well it probably means that too for most people. I just think that calling the woman you sleep with and claim to love "lady" sounds so bizarre.
Bizarre to me is flip flopping on your opinions. You called down "Duck" for saying too many singers (male) sing and look like women, which are physical attributes, then you say you meant attitudes. Would your wife prefer being calle d b***ch to being called "Lady"?
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Quote from: Glennd on January 26, 2011, 02:13:46 PM
Would your wife prefer being calle d b***ch to being called "Lady"?

I really don't care for either one. And I don't call her "Babe" either! That's reserved for female pigs.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 26, 2011, 01:46:12 PM
Lay Lady Lay(Across my big brass bed) + "I wouldn't treat a dog like that either" = joke

That's what I thought you had in mind. Some people do let their pooches on the bed, hence my thinking Dylan wrote that song to a golden retriever.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2011, 02:15:17 PM
I really don't care for either one. And I don't call her "Babe" either! That's reserved for female pigs.
I didn't ask which you preferred, I was seeking a female opinion!
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Quote from: Glennd on January 26, 2011, 02:27:54 PM
I didn't ask which you preferred, I was seeking a female opinion!

Whoops. Well let me anticipate that her opinion would be one where if the choice was being called either "Lady" or "Bi*ch"?  "lady" would be the hands down winner.  Woof, woof.

Well it probably means that too for most people. I just think that calling the woman you sleep with and claim to love "lady" sounds so bizarre. Don't we usually reserve the name "Lady" for female pets?

No, that would have never crossed my mind.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 26, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
No, that would have never crossed my mind.

It's a lot more common than you think. When it comes to dogs, Lady is number 5 in popularity. Right behind Maggie, Bear, Molly and Shadow.

http://www.bowwow.com.au/find-a-name-for-your-pet/top-20-names/search-results.aspx?country=1&animal_type=2&animal_sex=Female&num_results=20&B3.x=40&B3.y=14&B3=Fetch

And on this list made it to the top, ahead of Princess, Maggie, Ginger and Daisy

http://www.dognameswoof.com/favoritegirldognames.htm

Gotta say friend I never made that association, very doubtful Dylan had either but an interesting view for sure
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)