Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 69 Things to Love About Bob Dylan.  (Read 13307 times)
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 04:39:10 AM »

Cool link. Thanks.

The comments about Dylan's vocal skill are interesting. Because he certainly is not like a formally trained vocalist or someone who has a traditionally "good voice." But he gets across his point, musically. Function over form.

I really appreciate this fact about Dylan because I am not the best vocalist in the world either, and covering his songs even my vocals may be perceived by some as an improvement.

Simon and Garfunkel or James Taylor tunes, not so much.

"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

A nice review from Sean Wilentz, who's new book, Bob Dylan in America, is a must read. At least, for me it is.

Got it as Christmas present from my daughters--can't put it down.  If you are a Dylan fan, it is, indeed, a must read.

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »

Duck....or do you prefer Mr. Trapper?....

I received the prize today.  Many thanks.  I will drop off Matthews share ASAP. Looking forward to listening to it.

Thunder Bay, eh?  Every time I hear of Thunder Bay, I can't help but think of Barney Quill.....

Judge: Once again, Mr. Dancer, I must ask you to put straight questions to the witness.

Dancer: Here's a straight question, your Honor. Miss Polan, were you Barney Quill's mistress?

A: No, I was not.

Q: Do you know it's common knowledge in Thunder Bay that you were living with Quill?

A: He was--

Q: Was what, Miss Polan? Barney Quill was what, Miss Polan?

A: Barney Quill was my father.

(Much noise in courtroom)

Q: That's all for me.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

Duck....or do you prefer Mr. Trapper?....

I received the prize today.  Many thanks.  I will drop off Matthews share ASAP. Looking forward to listening to it.

Thunder Bay, eh?  Every time I hear of Thunder Bay, I can't help but think of Barney Quill.....

Judge: Once again, Mr. Dancer, I must ask you to put straight questions to the witness.

Dancer: Here's a straight question, your Honor. Miss Polan, were you Barney Quill's mistress?

A: No, I was not.

Q: Do you know it's common knowledge in Thunder Bay that you were living with Quill?

A: He was--

Q: Was what, Miss Polan? Barney Quill was what, Miss Polan?

A: Barney Quill was my father.

(Much noise in courtroom)

Q: That's all for me.

You would have to study the anatomy of a merger in our case. Until 1970 we were twin cities, Fort William and Port Arthur. The Ontario government forced us to amalgamate. Although given no choice over the merger, in a plebiscite, we were given the choice of three names for the new city.
1. Lakehead. 2. THE  Lakehead and 3. Thunder Bay. Sneaky eh?
I hope you like the CD. The song that I wrote is number 11. I thought Matthew would like the artwork on the CD itself.    
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »

Overall Duck was the amalgamation a better thing

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11:58 AM »

"...You would have to study the anatomy of a merger......"

Now that is one of the funniest and most clever things I have seen in ages.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »

Overall Duck was the amalgamation a better thing

I dunno, 41 years and ... we haven't decided yet. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »

"...You would have to study the anatomy of a merger......"

Now that is one of the funniest and most clever things I have seen in ages.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 04:10:44 AM »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the concert.  Dylan to me is a towering figure but I still have mixed feelings about the guy. Great voice but never liked the macho posturing at all.

Sorry for the late response. I like that about his music. Many songwriters come across as so domestic and soft; you know peace, love, getting along, sappy feelings and all that warm fuzzy stuff can get old. It's nice to hear something like...

"Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches
I'll recruit my army from the orphanages
I been to St. Herman's church and I've said my religious vows
I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows"

I don't think it comes across as cocky either because Dylan sings a lot of stuff that is 'in character' so to speak and not a personal message.

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »

Sorry for the late response. I like that about his music. Many songwriters come across as so domestic and soft; you know peace, love, getting along, sappy feelings and all that warm fuzzy stuff can get old. It's nice to hear something like...

"Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches
I'll recruit my army from the orphanages
I been to St. Herman's church and I've said my religious vows
I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows"

I don't think it comes across as cocky either because Dylan sings a lot of stuff that is 'in character' so to speak and not a personal message.

I'm not much into sappy sentimental moods either (unless it's Ozzie Osborne) but when I think of Dylan being macho in a way I don't like perhaps "Leopard skin pill box hat" captures it. The guy just seems uncomfortable around women. Don't want to analyse but he does seem uptight and defensive in a lot of ways that to me seemed unnecessary, But then, it's not fair to expect perfection all the time.

If it sounds good, it is good.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »

I'm not much into sappy sentimental moods either (unless it's Ozzie Osborne) but when I think of Dylan being macho in a way I don't like perhaps "Leopard skin pill box hat" captures it. The guy just seems uncomfortable around women. Don't want to analyse but he does seem uptight and defensive in a lot of ways that to me seemed unnecessary, But then, it's not fair to expect perfection all the time.

Uncomfortable around women? I don't think so. Whatever he may be, and judge the merits or lack of such, he is rumoured to have been ... er ... quite comfortable around lots of women. Now his attitude towards any one of them is proabably ripe for interpretration, just like the songs.  
As for macho? Personally, I think modern music could use some ... men. Everyone sings like a chick and half of them look like one. 
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »

As for macho? Personally, I think modern music could use some ... men. Everyone sings like a chick and half of them look like one. 

What? I was kinda hoping we'd all evolved a little more than to still have those views. Sounds like the kind of thing your old man would've said.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

What? I was kinda hoping we'd all evolved a little more than to still have those views. Sounds like the kind of thing your old man would've said.

Well, I suppose it depends on whether you see it as a feature or a flaw. Thanks for the compliment though. My old man was right on. As I discover more each day. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »

Well, I suppose it depends on whether you see it as a feature or a flaw. Thanks for the compliment though. My old man was right on. As I discover more each day. 

+1  I can relate to that!!!!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »

Uncomfortable around women?  Really?

Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
Whatever colors you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine.

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Until the break of day, let me see you make him
smile
His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
And you're the best thing that he's ever seen.

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Why wait any longer for the world to begin
You can have your cake and eat it too
Why wait any longer for the one you love
When he's standing in front of you.

Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still
ahead
I long to see you in the morning light
I long to reach for you in the night
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still
ahead.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »

"Lay lady lay", "just like a woman"  the list goes on and they all make me wanna puke  yak,

On the other hand, "Visions of Johanna" is great! I like the way the Dead did that one too.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »

"Lay lady lay", "just like a woman"  the list goes on and they all make me wanna puke  yak,

Hmmm. I'm not sure whether you need a gastroenterologist or a musicologist.   
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »

Hmmm. I'm not sure whether you need a gastroenterologist or a musicologist.   

Or Dylan needs a veterinarian. In those two songs it sounds more like he's talking about a dog.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »

Or Dylan needs a veterinarian. In those two songs it sounds more like he's talking about a dog.

Well ... b*tches are b*tches, after all.  whistling
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

You have an interesting relationship with dogs then.

Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: