Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Neck width  (Read 1089 times)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:23:15 AM »

So I've never owned an Electric guitar of any sort, just acoustics.  Every once in a while I think I ought to learn how to play electric though.

My big question is nut width, should I go with a standard skinny 1 5/8" electric neck or get something with a 1 3/4" neck like I'm used to?

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:57:39 AM »

Its one of things that since its a foreign object the best thing to do is play as many as possable and don't think numbers think how does it feel.I admit since I play both and handle a lot of both that its much easier to just play,Its amazing how easy it is to get comfy when you blind yourself to numbers and just really on the sence of touch and feel.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

Excellent answer by unclrob, of course!

Sometimes neck width can be deceiving because you also have to take into account the overall size and shape of the neck, including the fingerboard radius and fret size. After you play a lot of different sized and shaped necks, you'll end up having some favorites and preferences, and as you grow and change as a player, your preferences will probably change as well.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »

All true. If you don't have the time or opportunity to try the many different shapes out there then I'd suggest you go with what you are use to. The RS 2 or RS 4 neck most likely will have an easier learning curve for you not to mention the best quality and value out there right now

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »

I cut my teeth on acoustics which had 1 3/4" necks so I thought that would be what I would settle on for my Strats – but no. Having played a variety of width and neck shapes I've settled on a slightly narrower 1 11/16" width with a vintage style "V" shaped neck. The "V" gives my thumb something extra to hang on to.

Think it has something to do with the fact that I play differently on an electric with it's lighter gauge strings. Faster chord changes, more lead solos, less fingerpicking and I play up and down the neck a lot more than acoustic.

Unless you're married to the idea of a Larrivee electric, a Fender is a wonderful guitar to experiment with due to it's interchangeable parts. The Mexican Strats can be bought and sold for about $300 on eBay and it's simple to change out necks and pickups until you find exactly what you like.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »

Find yourself a mid to late 80's MIJ 50's reissue Tele,they came with a soft V neck.They also sound wonderful.With a good setup you can play 12's or heavier and the tone produced will amaze you.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »

I was thinking along the lines of one of the Rondo Music Korean made  "Gibson style" electrics.  I know they have a bit of a cult following around here.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »

Well I stand by an RS 2 which will last you a lifetime and as good as it gets really on par with guitars 5 times as much.

Saw this one go earlier today http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220698566899&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you start getting interested in Electric playing the Rondo will be limited The Larrivee will never be outgrown

Plus it's made in USA!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: