crossovers? C30's?

Started by dermot, November 21, 2010, 11:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunday morning thoughts;

Yesterday I picked up my classical (same one i have had since i was a kid) hanging on the wall for the first time i a few years, tuned it down to CGDGAD, and played christmas carols, bass was thuddy, grabbed a thumbpick, and wowzers.. lovely tone

Now i can handle the nut width, but when i play up the neck it gets a bit wide, and the spaceing at the bridge is enough to throw me off, and when i switch back to a steel string, i am just as much thrown off..  i need to recallibrate my brain

My question is about the "feel" of a crossover nylon string... string spaceing at the bridge, and neck width.... how close to a OM19 is a L30 in terms of feel?

ThanX!

d/

Quote from: dermot on November 21, 2010, 11:21:29 AM
My question is about the "feel" of a crossover nylon string... string spaceing at the bridge, and neck width.... how close to a OM19 is a L30 in terms of feel?
Dermot,  I can only assume that an L30 is a bigger body than a CS... but my CS-30 is far from a *crossover* classical. It's a wide nut, wide neck, full scale classical guitar with an LS-size body... probably very much like what you have now. It feels nothing like my OM. I tried several "crossover" guitars from Yamaha, Taylor and Godin and none of them felt quite right (with Godin being the closest for my comfort). As soon as you narrow the neck and put a radius to the fingerboard, the nylon strings just feel wrong to me. I would love to get hold of a guitar with a slightly narrower ( 1 7/8" ) nut and a flat fingerboard, but I have yet to see one.

dg