Poll
Question: Changing strings. . . .
Makes my guitar sound like new? - 7 (29.2%)
Makes my guitar sound slightly better? - 17 (70.8%)
Makes my guitar sound the same? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Changing Strings  (Read 1288 times)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »

I have read stories of people who say that when they changed guitar strings it was like getting a new guitar.  So, I thought I'd poll the audience.  Feel free to suggest ways I can better refine the questions.
jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

new strings can be a definite improvement, but i suppose that depends on the condition of what's being replaced.  the immediate effect can be a bit too bright and jangly, but that tends to fade after a few hours of playing.  a good bit of the excitement of new strings for me is just a chance to try something different . . .  in fact, i'm planning to try some mediums for the first time with my next string change

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:01 AM »

Am I being too picky?  They don't make my guitar(s) sound new but they improve things more than "slightly".  Or, maybe that means I wait too long before changing strings!   

Ed
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »

I like new strings, and it is a nice way to tweak sound or experiment, but the basic guitar character is in the wood and the luthier's design.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »

How about; "improves the tone of my guitar" as a choice?  The only positive of "makes my guitar sound like new" may not necessarily be a good thing!  I can tell when the string(s) don't hold a tuning and don't sustain as long; that I am ready for a change...and then it can be for a new sound (experiment w/different strings) or just time to baby my baby--and condition & polish the fretboard, and then put on the favorite regulars (at this time GHS True Mediums).
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »

Am I being too picky?  They don't make my guitar(s) sound new but they improve things more than "slightly".  Or, maybe that means I wait too long before changing strings!   

Ed
How about; "improves the tone of my guitar" as a choice?  The only positive of "makes my guitar sound like new" may not necessarily be a good thing!  I can tell when the string(s) don't hold a tuning and don't sustain as long; that I am ready for a change...and then it can be for a new sound (experiment w/different strings) or just time to baby my baby--and condition & polish the fretboard, and then put on the favorite regulars (at this time GHS True Mediums).

I agree with the above statements, not enough choices to make a true decision. I am also not impressed with the new string sound, they need some play time to take the harshness away.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 05:38:40 AM »

This is a topic that comes up often. I voted for the middle ground, as, to me, it's obvious that there would be a change for the better. What do you think, your guitar would sound worse?  
   Seriously, changing your strings is the easiest way to improve sound, maybe some buzzing, whatever. On certain guitars, like my Martin OOO-15 (a REAL sweet guitar for blues), leave the strings on longer, liking the sound. Varies by guitar & I now use different ones for different guitars. My SD-50 gets EJ-17s, as mediums make it sing. The others are split between EJ-16s & JP 600Ls.
   I do have to admit that changing strings on certain guitars, my Forum-III for example, reminds me of when it was new, but, a fleeting thought. Sure is a BIG improvement over dead strings. Having so many guitars is a luxury I never had 30+ years ago & does have some downsides, like changing strings.
   JB, change your strings as often as you like. Again, cheapest way to change the sound. As far as going to mediums, play that guitar exclusively until you get used to them. Tweak the truss rod if you see any difference in the neck. When you play a git with lights, you'll be amazed @ how easy they are to play.
   Bottom line? Just do what you want & enjoy your playing!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: