NGD x 4 - collection of RS-2/RS-4

Started by Shawn.Hatton, August 27, 2021, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone, first time poster, but long time Larrivee fanboy. I lucked out and picked up these 4 unfinished beauties from the Oxnard factory. I've finished the two middle guitars, and plan on finishing the other two with premium components. I'm also hand winding the pickups and could use any recommendations on types of magnets to use, winding resistance etc. I'd like to get as close to stock Larrivee p-90s as possible. Hope you enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous. Now I want a larrivee electric...  :arrow
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: Shawn.Hatton on August 27, 2021, 12:05:51 PM
. I lucked out and picked up these 4 unfinished beauties from the Oxnard factory. I've finished the two middle guitars, and plan on finishing the other two with premium components. I'm also hand winding the pickups and could use any recommendations on types of magnets to use, winding resistance etc. I'd like to get as close to stock Larrivee p-90s as possible. Hope you enjoy!

Oddly there never was a lot of discussions here on the Larrivee P90's. There seemed to be a bit of a luv - hate, in that some luved them and others who had a lot of experience like I think Kevin Head (Headsup) had some issues with his and wasn't a fan - maybe he could clarify. Regardless in this situation I'd be contacting Matthew Larrivee as the pickups were all him and he luved to talk details about them. It would be nice if you could detail your progress
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:coffee :donut :donut :donut2

The love/hate relationship people have with P90's , isn't limited to the Lativee brand.

I'm a big fan of P90 pick ups.

I'm not aware of what ever R&D went into the house brand.
I didn't like them, and eventually found out from Matt that he used alnico 5  Ceramic magnets in them.

I own one Larrivee P90 guitar , and played a second one, both had the same issues.
To my ears only.

I doubt they have any pick ups in stock, but I would go with a Lollar set, or maybe others around here have a different favourite P90.

The history of Larrivee electrics is a great one. Jean winding his own pick ups, after dinner, on the dinning room table in the eighties is a wonderful image.

My original RS4 from that era had terrific pick ups, as does my current 80's LS 4, with Jeans eighties pick ups.

the REAL beauty is in those guitars, and it's easy to swap out pups,,,,
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Just home from a serious session.
I took 3 electrics, all top shelf.

hands down, the most enjoyable to play, the very best tone, came from the larrivee RS4 -p90 gold top.

just saying'
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...