Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Amp for PA type use  (Read 4733 times)
Dan

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »

Hey guys!

I have been looking at acoustic amps and was wondering if any of you may have had some experience with using an acoustic amp as a PA for small to somewhat medium type of venues. (small churches and coffee houses) I am so tired of lugging around a powered box mixer and two big speakers and all that stuff for a little venue. If you turn it up where you get a good sound its too loud and its just plain tiresome. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? I want something that I can play my Larrivee and sing through and also may do a little looping to get a fuller sound. I play alot by myself with just me and a guitar so I really want to get a good natural sound but want it to fill up a room. I like the fishman loudbox units and also the roland AC-60/90. I do not mind paying for a good quality unit but do not want to spend 1000/1500 dollars. $400-700 is my price range. Any suggestions are welcomed! Please throw anything out there! I am waiting to absorb your knowledge of this situation!

Thanks!

Dan
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »

I'm sure there will be some suggestions in line with your request, but maybe you can consider a compact PA like a Fender Passport where everything bundles into one easy to carry thing. The little Yamaha PA looks pretty good also.
Glennd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »

I have and really like a Carvin AG100 and the auxillary speaker. Good sound and enough power for up to medium sized rooms.

1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn
vaguerecollection

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »

You already mentioned the Fishman amps, I have the 60 watt version and it seems to fill up a room pretty well.  I have not gigged with it. So I cannot say how it would do in a performance situation, but it fills up the garage nicely...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:36 PM »

My playing partner use's his Peavey Elecacoustic 112 for gigs.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
maLavvo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »

Check out also the Roland AC65 or AC90.  It can be floor-standing or also put on a stand.  Very portable and sounds grweat on a small-medium size venues.

"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »

I use a Fender PD 250. For a solo or duo and smallish venues, it's perfect. Four channels. Comes with two Fender P-51 mics. They're usable. You'll need stands for the speakers, eventually. Attach a CD player or two and you could DJ with it, if you wanted to. I also use it as my stereo in my music room. Bose Speakers. Fantastic sound. Very portable.  
dbudde

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:24:53 AM »

A bit above your price range, but you might look at an AER Alpha or a Bose L1 Compact.  Both are retailing for around 900.

Edit:  The AER Alpha is only single channel.   So probably doesn't work for you
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »

I also have the Carvin AG100 and aux speaker that I use for small venues. Works a treat.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:27 AM »

As yet another option, an unsung hero is an old Peavey Keyboard amp of some kind.  'Acoustic' amps are really not much more than a compact amplifier with full range speaker response, as opposed to electric guitar amps which have intentional mid-range focus.  Some will add effects and perhaps even a mic input as well.  All will try to make you think they are something special by using something other than a black colored finish - brown seems to be the choice, with a tweed type grill cover - pretty much window dressing. 

Check out a new Peavey KB5 amplifier - 5 input channels, 150W output, at least one mic channel, 3 band EQ on some channels, built in wheels and handle, 2 10" speakers with horns, effects loop options, able to power external speakers, etc.  $329 for a restocked unit right now.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=703370V

I challenge you to audition this or other keyboard amps against a 'proper' acoustic guitar amplifier - side by side, volumes set to the same.  I think you'll be delighted with the results and with the price.  Don't hesitate to check out used options at your local pawn shop as well.

The brown tolex ends up looking kind of expensive, doesn't it?

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

http://ralaudio.com/equation-audio-ba875-bagamp-compactpa-series-powered-line-array-public-address-system-p-4272.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogCfTgRaYw

5 bills, light weight, easy set up, and really good sound. A local music store is selling these and they sound quite nice in the store.
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

150 watts & the size of a boom box, only thing missing is some verb that you could get a pedal for. This is a true PA, just a 2 finger one you can slide under you seat.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/

[attachment deleted by admin]

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »

Hey welcome back GA-ME. I've missed hearing from you. 

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

Hey welcome back GA-ME. I've missed hearing from you. 

Yup insight and candidness certainly makes this a better place

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

IF,,,you can find one used, the Bose L1 compact (as was mentioned previously)

so much to chose from  wacko

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Reney..

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:53 AM »

Fender passport might be the answer. PA out built iin power mixer. Good choice for a small/medium space..

Taylor 210 CE (American Made)
Larrivee LV-03 MHE

----------------------------------------------------------------

1991 American Standard Stratocaster
2003 Epiphone Alleykat
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »

I have a Fender Passport P250 - have used it for live gigs (duo with instruments), indoors and outdoors. The sound is true to our unplugged sound. The deluxe version has better speakers, but what I have sounds perfect to me.

Some advantages to a system like this is the quick set up, ease of transport, easy sound adjustment, and the variety of ways it can be used.

Unique situation last night. We played for a dedication of an outdoor holiday display last night, and it was VERY cold out. The crowd was small.
We set up inside the building, and ran a mic cord and speaker cable out through a window.
One speaker on a stand for the outdoor crowd, and we used the other speaker as a monitor for the musicians inside.
We were able to hear the people addressing the crowd through our monitor, while playing in relative warmth inside, never missing a cue.
AdventureGuide

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »

I have been using, and LOVING, my UltraSound D-3.  It has 50 watts of clean, clear sound and includes a digital FX unit that can be used on both chanels.  It was designed for super-clean acoustic sound.  It has enough power to fill a very loud coffee shop.

Cost is approximately $400.  I highly recommend them!

Larrivee J-10-Koa "The Goddess"
Larrivee J-10-FM (Custom "Larrivee and Vine" Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee J-10 (w/Celtic Knot Headstock Inlay)
Larrivee Parlour - Mahogany

See "The Goddess" at www.mccrain.net/koa.
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »

I have and really like a Carvin AG100 and the auxillary speaker. Good sound and enough power for up to medium sized rooms.

The Carvin line has the bass response you need for acoustic reproduction and clean vocals, check them out. I too have a full PA system and honestly it is way too much for simple busking or most open mic settings, but, it is what I have.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S400D&cid=10

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »

I use an older Crate 125D. They can be bought used for around $225, and sound excellent for guitar and a vocal.
I sold a new Crate Gunnison which sounded very good but was not loud enough to play with other people.
 For bigger louder places we use a new Yamaha PA head that weighs about 5 lbs, and JBL Cabarets with the 2 8inch speaks and horns, they weigh around 30 lbs and  sound fantastic!

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: