Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Is Italian spruce soft? - verdict: NO  (Read 1247 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »

So, I'm into the second week of playing my new OM and enjoying every moment. I did notice though that around the "where the scratch plate should be" -area there are some indentations from the nail of my small finger. I play this guitar exclusively finger style, and I rest/anchor my small finger there. Is Ital Spruce as soft generally speaking? I don't really want a scratch plate there, not even a clear one, but the need for one seems inevitable??  

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »

Depending more on the finish than the genus of spruce I would think, yes, you can fairly easily make an indentation in a spruce top by pressing with your fingernail. 
Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »

I have seen that a lot.  It does happen and I don't know that the type of spruce or finish matters all that much.   I have seen it on the tops of electric guitars as well as acoustics.  Fingernails can be pretty hard.

By the way, I have seen indentations made by dropped keys, capos, cell phones and even a beer can (not on my guitars--I am careful, although I did get the top of one with the phone once when I answered it a bit too quickly) so the marks you are talking about a probably rather minor. 

How do you feel about putting a pick guard on it?  Perhaps a clear one like my old D-10?

LJ
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »

The type of spruce won't matter much if at all; you could press your thumbnail through an unfinished Red spruce top if you really wanted. The type of finish definitely matters. What kind of finish is it?

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »

well if it is the finish then that is good news. It is some kind of poly-urethane Jeremy.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »

...but not as soft as Cedar! Check the top on Glen Hansard's guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRwplFTh_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-jDfURn_k&feature=fvw

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:46:37 AM »

You could try keeping the pinky nail cut short on your picking hand.  If the indentation isn't all that noticeable then it might not be a big deal, but that's your call.  I don't really know, but I seem to recall that if the damage is only in the finish the repair is not very expensive or that involved, in the hands of a skilled repairman.  Don't take my word for it.  Someone who really knows will set the record straight I'm sure.  That's why this place is so great.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:12:53 AM »

well if it is the finish then that is good news. It is some kind of poly-urethane Jeremy.

PU finishes are generally tough but thickness is important too.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:27 PM »

For what it is worth, I took my guitar for a final setup yesterday, and the luthier gave me the sound hole blank that came from it. The Italian spruce is definitely very tough and hard on the surface. So it is the finish that shows the nail marks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »

For what it is worth, I took my guitar for a final setup yesterday, and the luthier gave me the sound hole blank that came from it. The Italian spruce is definitely very tough and hard on the surface. So it is the finish that shows the nail marks.

Off topic but that piece would be a really nice lutehole cover that matches your guitar. A little design and foam, voila!

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: