Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New finish - RS-2 in all satin finish (PICTURES ADDED!!! SCROLL DOWN)  (Read 4237 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »

"I'm having a new nut cut for it, widening out the string spacing a little and particularly that low E string - I kept bumping into it when playing stuff on the A string and either muting notes or creating notes I didn't want to hear... pic below of nut showing how close the wound strings are to each other compared to the others. ..."

I can see  much different angles on the first and 6th string.  The first is much closer to the edge of the nut than is the 6th string.  Looks like strings 2 thru 6 all need to be shifted over, away from the first string.
I agree that a new nut is needed.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »

I can see  much different angles on the first and 6th string.  The first is much closer to the edge of the nut than is the 6th string.  Looks like strings 2 thru 6 all need to be shifted over, away from the first string.
I agree that a new nut is needed.

I should be picking it up today - the tech who was doing this for me got sick the day after I dropped it off (he has Crones disease, so his health has been touch and go). I'm sure it will make a difference. 

I guess I'm getting old and sloppy, or I'm too used to 1 3/4" nuts - cuz I just don't want the strings all crammed close together (like I see especially on a lot of cheaper guitars).

Edited to add: I will say, this was not an issue on my RS-4. On my new D-03, it's taking a little getting used to the string spacing versus my old OM-05.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »

I picked up my RS-2 yesterday, and I must say, James (the guitar tech) did an excellent job of replacing the nut, slotting the string slots, and the overall set-up of the guitar - it feels and plays noticeably better. He also removed the foam padding that was underneath the bridge pickup, which allowed him to lower it enough to also lower the bridge and set the action...I'm very happy. 

Played for awhile last night while watching election returns, but didn't really get to turn it up much because it was so late. But it just kept putting a smile on my face - even more so than before because it feels so much better! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »

Rev,

Glad to hear you got your RS-2 "FINE-TUNED" to your liking!Removing the piece of foam
underneath the bridge pickup didn't work for me unfortunately! Matthew still needs to
be sure and start routing the pickup cavities out on the bridge and neck of the RS-2's!

I sent you a video clip yesterday! Did you receive it?

Mac

Mac Baker
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 03:00:13 AM »

Mac,

Just opened it (you sent it to the e-mail account that I don't always check everyday, but that's okay - got it!)...very cool guitar!

I was able to check out quite a few lefty G&L's when I went to Southpaw Guitars in Houston back in the mid-nineties - very nice guitars, probably the most tempting things in his shop (and at the time he had some of the lefty PRS's that they were making - and I'm sorry to say, those didn't do anything for me tone wise ... beautiful guitars, but they just sounded ho-hum - TO ME!).

My guitar budget is $0 for the next year or two, but I've got plenty of stuff to play, and I need to focus on PLAYING anyway!  My youngest is in her senior year of high school - I'm hoping after she heads off to college to have more time to practice and get into a band and do some serious "fun" music with some other old farts (I'm 52).

Thanks for sharing that. Have not tried out (or even seen) one of those Rinehart (sp?) amps - funny - I don't know how it's spelled, but my wife is related to some Rineharts here in Nebraska (her mom's first cousins) - no relation to the amp builder, I'm sure!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:24 PM »

Rev,

Thanks for the comments on my Fullerton Red G&L Legacy! Yeah I hear you on not
having any "FUNDS" in the "G.A.S. Tank"! whistling

Anyway the amp in the video is a "REINHARDT"! The builder is BOB REINHARDT and his
amps are right in the "TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN" for Marshall inspired and voiced amps!
They are built to withstand the most demanding conditions (They are road warriors) for
many top guitarist and artist playing full time all over the world!

Enjoy your RS-2 Mike!

Mac

Mac Baker
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: