New finish - RS-2 in all satin finish (PICTURES ADDED!!! SCROLL DOWN)

Started by Mikeymac, October 13, 2010, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: madoclake on October 21, 2010, 11:28:15 AM
I started looking at ALL the posts and other websites about the RS-2. Sometimes the pickups are black. Can you get black P-90's? What about chrome? Anyone know the answer?

I haven't seen any Larrivee P-90s with black covers; there are some RS-2s with humbuckers, and those are open coil pickups with black coils - that's probably what you've seen.

I plan to eventually change my pup selector tip and knobs so that they match the cream pickup covers - the black knobs and tip seem like a mis-match to me.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 21, 2010, 01:14:23 PM
I haven't seen any Larrivee P-90s with black covers; there are some RS-2s with humbuckers, and those are open coil pickups with black coils - that's probably what you've seen.

I plan to eventually change my pup selector tip and knobs so that they match the cream pickup covers - the black knobs and tip seem like a mis-match to me.

Agreed about the mismatch colours. And I think I like the all black. I have never seen Larrivee P-90's with black covers, but who knows. I have seen other p-90's with black covers.

By the way, those pictures! Wow. To give you an idea of how badly your pictures have given me the RS-2 "Satin Finish" GAS, your "couch picture" is now my desktop background....I wonder if The 12th Fret has a RS-2 in stock.... Uh-oh....Here we go.....
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: madoclake on October 21, 2010, 01:35:47 PM
By the way, those pictures! Wow. To give you an idea of how badly your pictures have given me the RS-2 "Satin Finish" GAS, your "couch picture" is now my desktop background....I wonder if The 12th Fret has a RS-2 in stock.... Uh-oh....Here we go.....

I'm sorry to be causing you so much gastric indigestion! The 12th Fret might have some, but none will be satin finished. That may not matter to you, but Matthew did say he was thinking about doing some more in the satin finish...might be worth your time to e-mail Larrivee if that's something you're really interested in.

Larrivee is still small enough that they are responding to these kinds of odd customer requests (in another thread here, someone [fritferret?] shows off his one-off in a dark blue stain finish).

I took my RS-2 back to the store...

...relax! Just for a "free set-up"!!!  :roll

I'm having a new nut cut for it, widening out the string spacing a little and particularly that low E string - I kept bumping into it when playing stuff on the A string and either muting notes or creating notes I didn't want to hear... pic below of nut showing how close the wound strings are to each other compared to the others. :wacko:

Anyway, the tech is also going to try to lower the bridge a little more - but along with that the bridge pup needs to be lowered a little since right now it's very, VERY close to the strings. I tried lowering it, and it's not moving any more for me - he said the springs that are under there (around the two pup screws) may be fully compressed... hopefully it's not going to need more wood routed out to lower it.

But I gotta say it again: I 'm in LOVE with the tones from this guitar. I honestly don't think I need a Telecaster anymore, and I REALLY LIKE "Telly's" as they used to be known!  When I play my Tele after I've played the RS-4 it's kinda 'meh' sounding.  Between my RS-2 and RS-4 there's a LOT of tonal versatility.

I'll have it back on Friday...  :bgrin:

...meanwhile, tomorrow my new D-03IS arrives from Jim at Trinity!  Looking forward to getting to know 'er ... I've been missing having a good dread since I sold my D-03R some months ago...

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 26, 2010, 05:18:32 PM
pic below of nut showing how close the wound strings are to each other compared to the others...

No pic below Rev :? :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 26, 2010, 06:16:36 PM

No pic below Rev :? :?

I've been having internet problems the last day or two - so we'll see if there's a picture here...

[attachment deleted by admin]

(sorry I can't help it...)

Gee, isn't the photo reversed? Strings look backwards.  (sorry again  :blush:)
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on October 27, 2010, 11:10:48 AM
(sorry I can't help it...)

Gee, isn't the photo reversed? Strings look backwards.  (sorry again  :blush:)

I guess some guys just have to see the logo to know it's not sdrawkcab!!!

:wacko:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Going from memory here Mikeymac, but I think I read on a guitar site that the headstock logo on the RS-2 is made from maple. That make any sense?

By the way, there is a used gloss RS-2 on ebay for $750. Amber. Nice looking guitar. But I got a price for a new SATIN finish like yours from my local dealer. And it is more, of course. But I don't care! That satin finish amber is what I want.

Humbuckers and P-09's. I have to choose. You've played them both for a few days now. Any recommendations?
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010

Quote from: madoclake on October 28, 2010, 12:57:19 PM
Going from memory here Mikeymac, but I think I read on a guitar site that the headstock logo on the RS-2 is made from maple. That make any sense?

Humbuckers and P-09's. I have to choose. You've played them both for a few days now. Any recommendations?

I also thought that I read "maple" for the logo as well, but I don't remember where I saw that...thanks.

I would say that I'm still in a honeymoon phase with the P-90's - but I really like them, and think they're more versatile than the humbuckers (which I also love!). I would also say that it depends some on the styles of music you play. If you're only going to do heavy rock or metal type stuff, the humbuckers might be your thing. If you're worried about single coil noise, again go with the buckers. But other than that, these P-90s really cover a lot of tonal territory.

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 28, 2010, 03:14:23 PM
I would also say that it depends some on the styles of music you play. If you're only going to do heavy rock or metal type stuff, the humbuckers might be your thing. If you're worried about single coil noise, again go with the buckers. But other than that, these P-90s really cover a lot of tonal territory.

I will not be playing any metal at all. Among well known musicians who play electric leads, I like the "sound" offered by Neil Young, Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo), Tom Petty, etc. So I suppose that would be rock and not a "bright" or "jangly" sound - although they tend to be very clear notes at the same time. None of those three play the same guitar. And Neil's "black guitar" is humbucker - P-90 configuration (so he is typically unfathomable but somehow right on). So what do you think? Get P-90's becasue they are more versatile? I wonder if Larrivee can or would issue the guitar as HB/P-90? I don't know nearly enough about electric guitars to know if that would actually cause a fire.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010

Quote from: madoclake on October 29, 2010, 10:21:19 AM
I wonder if Larrivee can or would issue the guitar as HB/P-90?

Now that is thinking Out of the Box!!!!!! Have a les Paul setup like that gotta say it`s no where near the Larrivees I have doubled of each.

Thus I say get both you won`t regret it  :whistling:

Saying this tho, if you can only have one go with the HB certainly most mainstream
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 29, 2010, 11:20:01 AM

Saying this tho, if you can only have one go with the HB certainly most mainstream

And I would say just the opposite based on the styles and players you mentioned - Young, Petty - I'd go for the P-90s...

(...but like I said, I'm still in the honeymoon stage...)

That is a great looking guitar - hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Quote from: geodr on October 29, 2010, 11:06:07 PM
That is a great looking guitar - hope it sounds as good as it looks!

:thumb

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 29, 2010, 05:59:36 PM
And I would say just the opposite based on the styles and players you mentioned - Young, Petty - I'd go for the P-90s...

(...but like I said, I'm still in the honeymoon stage...)

Not so sure friends I would characterize these artists with the typical P90 sound tho YOUNG for the most part when not using Uncles White Falcon  :tongue: mainly uses a LP with a P90 in neck and a mini in bridge. This tone is difficult to chase with either a full P90 or full HB.
PETTY on the other hand well he uses everything from Fenders to Rickenbackers to Minis and HB`s

My cent and half worth  :cheers

Certainly a worthwhile conversation to have...

...no guitar can "do it all" - some guitars do a good job of approximating certain tones, but nothing does Ric tones like a Ric, and nothing does in-between Strat tones like a Strat.  Lots of other tones (bridge or neck humbucker, Tele bridge or neck, Strat neck) are, I think, a little more up-for-grabs; they're easier to get very close - or cheat on, if you will.

I've heard guys play beautiful soft jazz on Tele's and play all out rock and metal on hollowbodies...the amp and boxes between guitar and amp are a big piece of the sound (duh!).

Just sayin' - I agree with your two cents worth!   :+1: