Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for fritferret  (Read 704 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »

I noticed in your pics in the other thread that on all of your RS-4's, you have the strings wrapped over the TOP of the stop tailpiece. I haven't noticed that there's that much of an angle issue with the bridge on the RS-4 to make this necessary - or do you find other tone/playability benenfits to doing this?

Anyone else who has an opinion on this can chime in as well...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »

i really like the feel and tone of 11 gauge string sets.  they feel and sound more even to me, esp when going from the wound to unwound strings or vice versa.  i top-wrap all of my guitars because i find that that makes them feel less stiff w/ the heavy string and i think it does something to the tone.  perhaps the lower break angle makes the string slinkier?  i don't know.  i just know the strings fell a bit looser than when strung regularly.  i also the angle it creates more. in terms of picking, the strings feel flatter or more uniform, i guess.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »

Do remember that the stop tailpiece can be raise also.Not taking away from how you string your guitar,if I remember right D.Allman did his that way.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:04 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. As unclrob said, Duane (and other well known players) have strung theirs this way, so it's mostly a matter of personal preference. The string tension theory sounds interesting, too.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: