Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Played a couple ok 3 RS4's  (Read 1871 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »

I was dropping off a repair at the local Larrivee dealer and they just got in 3.A sunburst,a mahogany, and a natural top.The setup from the factory was ... cop wait I need to get behind a wall so I don't get hit by rocks  cop.....OK the setups were pittiful.That said they still were playable but I can play almost anything.Great sound from the pu's but the nut slots weren't done right the action was really really high and the neck need adjustment.other then that the finish was outstanding,had new strings.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »

Hmm, thats very interesting. Can you quantify that "high action" with an approximate number? i.e. 4/64 at the 14 etc. I'll look into that as we really strive for great playability. Also what didnt you like about the nut slots? (not questioning you, just wanting to know so that I can find out). Also, PM me the store name so I can look into the age of the instruments.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »

Rob

Is this your 1st time playing an RS 4?

Also is this the 1st RS 4 your local shop brought in?

Very positive - set up really minor issue for me BUT certainly see why the company would want easy playability out of the box. Assume this shop is mainly an acoustic shop?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:45:15 AM »

No I've done 3 setups so far and I'm very impressed with the pu's.They have tone that I've heard in all my years of playing and repairing.Most humbuckers when driven loss the mids and sound muddy.These just sounded fuller with a clean edge.Even thru an overdrive pedal,trully amazing.

Matt PM sent.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
interiorfarmer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »

I just bought an RS-2 and my guitar tech needed to adjust the neck, lower the action, and do some minimal filing of the nut. Intonation was off on two strings.

Was a little surprised that it needed so much attention, but the tech, who does a lot of guitars every year, really liked the guitar - as do I.
fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »

i wonder if perhaps the weather while being shipped is having an effect (temp and moisture changes).
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »

I'm not discounting unclrob's experience, because I respect his opinions around here...but when I got my RS-4 (in December last year - remember what the weather was like then?), it was set up very well. I almost ALWAYS lower the nut slots on new guitars, but I haven't touched these. My action has been fine - I think I may have lowered it a hair when I got it - don't really remember.

(I have lowered the nut slots on a couple recent Larrivee acoustics - my previous D-03R and my Forum IV.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »

I went back today and though they have settled down some they do need a general setup.When I looked at them yesterday I could put my pinky under the strings at the neck pu and not touch the string.So all know I didn't post this to put down the guitars or the company as I have seen much worst from other companies,action set too low,nut slots that looked like someone just scored the nut.slot cut to deep.All my complaints shall we say are details but I expect more and with Matts comments he does too.I am really impressed with the pu's as I've stated above and if I needed a humbucker guitar the RS4 is what I'd buy.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

I'm not discounting unclrob's experience, because I respect his opinions around here...but when I got my RS-4 (in December last year - remember what the weather was like then?), it was set up very well. I almost ALWAYS lower the nut slots on new guitars, but I haven't touched these. My action has been fine - I think I may have lowered it a hair when I got it - don't really remember.

(I have lowered the nut slots on a couple recent Larrivee acoustics - my previous D-03R and my Forum IV.)

Like you, I loved everything about my RS-4 exactly as I discovered it. For me, it was set up perfectly. I didn't change a thing. A lot of this has to do with personal preferences, however. Some might find the action on mine a tad too high for their liking.   
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »

Like you, I loved everything about my RS-4 exactly as I discovered it. For me, it was set up perfectly. I didn't change a thing. A lot of this has to do with personal preferences, however. Some might find the action on mine a tad too high for their liking.   

I think you may have nailed it on the head.  NO GUITAR will satisfy everyone.  It's like a Bell curve....it may satisfy the large majority of folks, but there WILL ALWAYS be 10% that think the strings are too high, and 10% who think they are too low.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »

My comments had nothing to do with prefference.I like heavey strings and no shop's put heavey strings on there guitars.I like really low action and again no shops set them up that way.The guitars I looked at had bad action for most people.It wasn't even setup for general public action.I think that the next time I'll keep my keyboard quite.Sorry kids.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
WPete

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »

For a relative newby to Larrivee's - I'm impressed that Matt L. watches this forum closely and I'll bet that product quality in stores will benefit. Companies love or "better love" this kind of feedback to survive in the marketplace. This Larrivee fan offers a BIG THANKS Unclrob 

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »

For a relative newby to Larrivee's - I'm impressed that Matt L. watches this forum closely and I'll bet that product quality in stores will benefit. Companies love or "better love" this kind of feedback to survive in the marketplace. This Larrivee fan offers a BIG THANKS Unclrob 

+1

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »

My comments had nothing to do with prefference.I like heavey strings and no shop's put heavey strings on there guitars.I like really low action and again no shops set them up that way.The guitars I looked at had bad action for most people.It wasn't even setup for general public action.I think that the next time I'll keep my keyboard quite.Sorry kids.

Rob, you gotta call them like you see them. No harm in letting the group know your personal opinions, especially delivered in a positive and balanced manner.

I have yet to see, or play a Larrivee electric. Probably a good thing for my personal budget.....

Ron

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »

Rob the day you start being political is the day I'm out of here. If you can't say what you know to be true after being a tech and player for so many years, plus selling new Larrivees, then who can?
    The facts are the facts. We all have to deal with it.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »

Last post in this thread.The string hieght is about a 1/8" off the middle of the board.The truss rod needs a major adjustment.Until the bridge hieght is set and the neck adjustment done I really wouldn't touch the nut slots.I never base my observation on my taste but on the facts.I'm would say I'm sorry if I offended some ....BUT...thats not my way.I call them as I see them.I'm very happy thet Matthew saw the post and ask for more info.I'm also fairly sure the guitars were built on a Wed. or a Fri..Maybe finale inspection before casing the guitars wasn't done,who know's.I hope that because I posted this that there will be a tightening of inspection process.

OK its time for more  .

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

Ah Rob. I was just agreeing with Mikey about our similar experience with new RS-4s. I wasn't discounting yourn. A mere digression. Kootchie Koo! 

While we're on the subject though. How many have bought a guitar after picking it up, playing it for a while and not liking the setup? Me? Unless the guitar totally impresses me, as is, I'm not likely to give it a second thought. Guitars coming through the mail are another thing entirely, obviously.   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »

While we're on the subject though. How many have bought a guitar after picking it up, playing it for a while and not liking the setup? Me? Unless the guitar totally impresses me, as is, I'm not likely to give it a second thought. Guitars coming through the mail are another thing entirely, obviously.   

As a lefty player, I'm in a little different boat than many of you when it comes to "just picking up" a guitar in a shop. Lefties are few and far between, and most of the ones on the wall locally are low end/beginner stuff - not necessarily junk or bad, but I feel like I've 'graduated' past most of that stuff.

But yesterday I picked up a new American Series Strat, an MIM Strat and an MIM Tele at a local store. The USA one should have been set up better - I can excuse it more on an MIM model. And I don't like 9-42 strings, so that always bugs me on store guitars. But of the three, the MIM Strat was the most resonant unplugged, with the Tele a close second (but also a bit heavier). But I feel like my Warmoths are so much better than even standard Fender USA stuff, so it's really a moot exercise.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:57 AM »

OK don't get p*ssie over this but had one come thru the shop today and finely figure out what this guitar reminds me of.A Gibson L5S,it was sorta a squashed LP,now I'm saying this about the Larrivee but it was a thin body guitar.Thinner then a LP.It had sound.Thats what the Larrivee pu's reminded me of.I remember this because I hated humbuckers but these where very creamy and reactive pu's.Just saying I really like the Larrivee pu's.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 03:34:55 AM »

OK don't get p*ssie over this but had one come thru the shop today and finely figure out what this guitar reminds me of.A Gibson L5S,it was sorta a squashed LP,now I'm saying this about the Larrivee but it was a thin body guitar.Thinner then a LP.It had sound.Thats what the Larrivee pu's reminded me of.I remember this because I hated humbuckers but these where very creamy and reactive pu's.Just saying I really like the Larrivee pu's.

No reason for anyone to get heated up about your observations about the RS-4's body style...I agree; it's thinner than a Les Paul - it's kind of between a Les Paul and an SG (which was actually the "new 60's Les Paul"), in both body thickness and feel.

Also agree that the pickups are very dynamic, in part because they're vintage output, and also (in my opinion) in part because of the high quality, well chosen pots and capacitors used.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: