Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK its not a Larrivee.....BUT  (Read 4087 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »

Well this is what happens when you decide to clean shop and go thru 10 year old box's.The body is an old experiment in tinting laquer and doing a hand rub.The pu's are Ken Armstrongs,Grover mini tuners and a Squire neck.Monitors I hope its ok to post this if not pleas delete and send me a note.Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:15:24 AM »

Well this is what happens when you decide to clean shop and go thru 10 year old box's....

nice guitar  Rob, I know exactly what that's like!
I found a couple bodies & necks and a whole bunch of parts that I didn't know I had when I unpacked some boxes that I had forgotten about. It's like Christmas morning on the wrong day!

dg

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »

Looks good to me. I was cleaning up some today and storing unfinished repairs and spare guitars. I sure would like a month of blocked out time to finish about five projects.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:46:36 AM »

How's it play Rob Looks good

Sure wish Larrivee would consider doing a Tele style

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:16 AM »

That reminds me ... I've got an ooooold Warmoth 'Soloist' style body and a more recent 24.75 scale neck that I've never tried together!  And plenty of pickups lying around that will drop right in (3 single coils)...I've gotta throw that Frankenstein together!  Pics when I do!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 03:34:24 AM »

Joyce I've set this one up with 14-60 mostly for slide work but I can still play chordsrather comfy like.I had to do a lot ofdowling as this was a practice body at the time,I had damaged my right hand and was trying teach myself to work with my left at the time my doc wasn't sure I'd get my right working for a few months.Sorry no details of how I damaged my right hand for fear of offending some folks.It sounds great and to all who play electric you should change out your tone cap to a .033,I get great roll off for that nice dark jazz tone.Another suggestion you should try reading your pots ohm's so you can get a close matching set,I read all my pots and mark them with there ohms.This one is a 249 ohm for volumn and a 246 for the tone pot.

Micky go for it the most fun you can have is putting together a guitar from parts.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:09:12 AM »

Sure wish Larrivee would consider doing a Tele style

A Larrivee "Tele",  Some day soon we hope.

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »

Joyce I've set this one up with 14-60 mostly for slide work but I can still play chordsrather comfy like.I had to do a lot ofdowling as this was a practice body at the time,I had damaged my right hand and was trying teach myself to work with my left at the time my doc wasn't sure I'd get my right working for a few months.Sorry no details of how I damaged my right hand for fear of offending some folks.It sounds great and to all who play electric you should change out your tone cap to a .033,I get great roll off for that nice dark jazz tone.Another suggestion you should try reading your pots ohm's so you can get a close matching set,I read all my pots and mark them with there ohms.This one is a 249 ohm for volumn and a 246 for the tone pot.

Micky go for it the most fun you can have is putting together a guitar from parts.

14-60???  Rob, you're a monster!  You play heavies on the acoustics too???

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »

Ya 14-58 on all but one which has 12-56 on it for when the weather mess's with me.Big strings big tone.I know one day I'll be forced to play 11's but for now and I don't say this about anything else but strings and guitars "bigger is better".

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »

"Texas...Bigger than France"      (couldn't help it)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

As an owner of a Larrivée tele, I concur, they sould make more. Maybe without the pointy headstock this time out.    

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

Mikey go for it the most fun you can have is putting together a guitar from parts.

Got a lot of it put together last night ... but I need some screws to mount the three single coil pickups (out of an MIM Strat, so they're ceramics, but not bad sounding) since they're direct mounted to this body.

Drop in the pots and also an "add bridge" mini-switch so I can get all 7 pup positions - hope to finish this Friday evening...

...pics soon... 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »

I just popped new Grover tuners that just arrived from Stew Mac, in an old bowl back mandolin that was recently given to me. I have to go to a meeting so I won't have a chance to string it up until later. I'm kind of excited to see how it sounds ... er ... hear how it looks. Oh never mind. I'll get back to you. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or give it back to my friend all ready to go.       
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

As an owner of a Larrivée tele, I concur, they sould make more. Maybe without the pointy headstock this time out.    

duck - is that "tele" a neck-through, a set-neck, or a bolt on?

(IOW, post a pic of the BACK!)  gotpics?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »

duck - is that "tele" a neck-through, a set-neck, or a bolt on?

(IOW, post a pic of the BACK!)  gotpics?

Bolt on, Fender style. Don't have a handy pic of the back but I'll try to take one. I love the ebony fingerboard. Such a nice touch ... and feel.   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:15:52 PM »

Here's my "parts bin" guitar ... a step down from a "parts guitar" really, because most of these parts (except the neck) would likely have never been used again.

Now that it's together, I'm thinking I'll have to try some 500K pots with these MIM Fender ceramic pickups; there's not much sparkle on the top end, and they're kinda harsh in the midrange.  Next step, if I think this thing is worth keeping together, is a different set of pickups...this body used to have a set of DiMarzio rails in it; from neck to bridge: Cruiser, Fast Track and Pro Track.

Right now the 3 mini switches don't do anything, but eventually I'll hook one up to add the "bridge always on" option.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 02:56:20 AM »

Thats beautiful Rev.Keep the 250k's.I like that fact that its a hardtail. nice guitar

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »

Thats beautiful Rev.Keep the 250k's.I like that fact that its a hardtail. nice guitar

Yeah, I prefer hardtails...don't use a whammy much. Maybe I would if I could find a decent lefty Bigsby guitar...

You may be right about the pots (if I change anything, it'll just be the tone pot first); hey this is a "parts bin" guitar - it should probably be a little rough around the edges! And that middy sound would be great for slide.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »

Do you have an ohm meter?If you do check what they read,the closer you can gat to matching the ohm's the more control over basic tone responce of the pu's.Also check the ohm's of the pu's,the hotter pu should be in the bridge,next hottest in the middle and of course the lowest in the neck unless your like me then go in reverse.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »

Do you have an ohm meter?If you do check what they read,the closer you can gat to matching the ohm's the more control over basic tone responce of the pu's.Also check the ohm's of the pu's,the hotter pu should be in the bridge,next hottest in the middle and of course the lowest in the neck unless your like me then go in reverse.

Yeah, I have an ohm meter, but I didn't bother to check these pots before I put 'em in (bought them new yesterday).

I know I have these pickups in the order they came in the MIM Strat I had, because of the length and color of the wires: the middle pickup (reverse wound) has yellow/black wires; neck and bridge white/black wires, and of course, the bridge pup's wires are the shortest.

I just played this thing for about an hour in our sanctuary through my Carr Rambler with a Fulltone Full Drive 2 and a Boss RV-3 (reverb/delay); with minor tweaking to where I had the controls set for practice the other night (with a humbucker guitar), this thing sound pretty sweet; I'll be using it this Sunday!

One more pic of this one, plus a couple pics of my other hardtails...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: