Bigsby

Started by JOYCEfromNS, September 28, 2010, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A lot of talk lately of a Bigsby

For me the Bigsby I never really had a whole lot of luv for tho not that experienced with them. Just never found them very functional.  Am more experienced  with the Floyd and Kahlers. Tho never really see the latter on LP's might have something to do with the neck angle.

Why are some of you so partial to the Bigsby what am I missing :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have tried and installed every trem thats on the market of them all the Bigsby has always been the best to me.My first real electric guitar was a 65 Gretsch Tenn. which came with a Bigsby so I grew up with it.You can do subtle vibrato on chords,wild rockabilly and even dive bombs and surf with more control and you don't need a half a dozen allen wrench's to change a string nor will you guitar fall apart if you break a string and I've used one for so long I never go out of tune no matter how ruff I get with it including playing like N.Young.Most will disagree and thats cool but its built tuff has a nice amount of mass which I feel adds to the sustain of the guitar.I guess its an old guy thing like 3 saddle tele bridge's and wrap-a-round tailpiece's over 6 saddle bridge's and tune-a-matics.Most of all its not a Floyd or the varies copies which I find useless piece's of junk and Mr. Floyd should have them stuff into his body or forced to work on them when they fall apart or break or rip out of the body because the wood has fatigue's because the 2 post rip thru the body.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I should add that someone mentioned the Vibromate which has been around since the 80's under another name which is a Floyd style trem for LP's I also wasn't impressed with these either but I will say it was better then having to route a LP for a Floyd and cheaper too.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I like the Bigsby. I recently had a Gretsch Cat-eye G3140 and just before I installed one, I got an offer I couldn't refuse from a local player/friend, but I still have visitation rights <laff>.

I think any tremolo can easily be overused and most of the effective players use them sparingly/tastefully. In that genre, I think you can get some effects that you can't replicate in any other manner. Though to fully appreciate them, I think you have to spend some time with one, make friends, and then explore the relationship with time.

Comparing them with other trems, I fully agree with unclrob and like the heft of the Bigsby over most others.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass