My OM

Started by Zohn, September 26, 2010, 06:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are more detailed shots showing the clearance of the flying buttresses over the bracing, and some "leg" on the scalloping of the bracing itself.
:bgrin:

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

You're right Zohn. That does look strange.
I was saying that the fretboard can be totally eliminated from the top, thus allowing more free soundboard surface. Like the McPherson guitars, but having no fretboard above the top. It takes a bit more beefing up of the neck joint.

Ken
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Well, that is the most GAS inspiring guitar I've seen in a while - I am particularly glad that I am not planning a trip to South Africa anytime soon. But if you build yourself a new one, I'll start checking the FedEx rates -  :roll

Got a PM going your way -   Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on September 28, 2010, 10:26:48 PM
Well, that is the most GAS inspiring guitar I've seen in a while - I am particularly glad that I am not planning a trip to South Africa anytime soon. But if you build yourself a new one, I'll start checking the FedEx rates -  :roll

Got a PM going your way -   Tad

You're too kind sir...
:blush:

You can always come over and collect one yourself - wave at Fedex and come crash at my place in Pretoria... :winkin:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Spectacular guitar!!

I was informed about this commission almost two years ago,and could not be happier for "by far,the nicest fellow I've met on the net,to date".

"Anyone" lucky enough to know Zohn should be thrilled for the guy  :smile:

Did I say STUNNING guitar?

Quote from: magictwanger on October 13, 2010, 02:01:56 PM
Spectacular guitar!!

I was informed about this commission almost two years ago,and could not be happier for "by far,the nicest fellow I've met on the net,to date".

Did I say STUNNING guitar?

:ohmy: Hey, who - me??  :blush:

Thanx for the compliment macictwanger.  :donut :donut2 :coffee

Report-back:

Two months in, and all the fine settings are done - I fitted a new bluegrass set of John Pierce strings yesterday.

Also added a stick-on-see-thru scratch plate (actually more of a film) which does a good job with minimum interference in the look of the bearclaw streak below the sound hole.

The action is a tad high @ 2,38mm (3/32") at the low E with about 3mm saddle protruding, but I'm not touching it to go lower, because the sound and tone is remarkably pleasing to my ear.

There is a slight bow (bulge) of the soundboard in the upper bout area which I believe is the main reason why that area vibrates as freely as it does.

I'm amazed at how well this guitar stays in tune - the tuners and wide neck certainly contribute to that.

The wider nut (1 13/16") works well for me (in addition the strings are only 2mm off the sides of the fretboard for max spacing of the inner 4 strings).

This is a great guitar and I'm truly blessed to own her.

Just caught this thread -- wow!   That is one of the most logical designs I've seen.    That area between the neck block and sound hole is normally the weakest part of the guitar, but he managed to make it sturdy without restricting the top.    Very nice.   I want one.   :smile:

Congrats!
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Thanx guitnoob - I can see from your sign you too are a hog-nut like me  :tongue:

I've had her for a year now - we're inseparable...

I just went back and looked at Han's website again. It seems like all really "great" builders start with classicals. Does that remind you of anyone we know?

:cheers
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Must be something in the air where they live...  :winkin:
As a matter of fact, Hans got an order for a steel string from the guy who bought my LV-10e - he played it briefly when he came over to fetch the Larrivee some 4 or 5 months ago - how's that for a lasting impression?
:smile:

Congrats my friend, finally huh?

Looks sweet, how is it sound?

Hey Fongie
Thanks.
It is a very responsive and extremely light built instrument.

Sings in all registers up the neck and a joy to play thanks to the custom specs, fits my hand like a glove.

It is a very special guitar and a keeper - yes I know; that's what I said aboud the SD-50 as well, but it is different.

So I've had my Berg OM for 2 years September. The sound board has opened up with a noticeable audible extended dynamic range.
In al this time I had Hans lower the neck by 1,6mm into the body for more anti-clockwise adjustment at the neck joint.
To accomodate that he had to beef up the sound board area underneath, and cut a pocket 2mm deep for the fret board extension to sit in.
I also made a new ivory saddle and fitted a K&K Pure pickup. 

Quote from: Zohn on December 10, 2012, 11:00:49 PM
So I've had my Berg OM for 2 years September. The sound board has opened up with a noticeable audible extended dynamic range.
In al this time I had Hans lower the neck by 1,6mm into the body for more anti-clockwise adjustment at the neck joint.
To accomodate that he had to beef up the sound board area underneath, and cut a pocket 2mm deep for the fret board extension to sit in.
I also made a new ivory saddle and fitted a K&K Pure pickup. 

Sounds awesome mate. What do you think of the K&K, what pre-amp are you using bud?

I've just installed one in my OM-18V and purchased a Orchid muting DI from the UK. Just awesome!

Quote from: fongie on December 11, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
Sounds awesome mate. What do you think of the K&K, what pre-amp are you using bud?

I've just installed one in my OM-18V and purchased a Orchid muting DI from the UK. Just awesome!

Hey Fongie

I find them great. For the Pure (I have 2 guitars with that pick-up) I use my Ultrasound DI-plus - magic combo!!
I also have the Trinity (comprising of a Pure and a mic) fitted in my Eastman. It came with a dual channel belt-clip pre-amp which combines the two channels with a stereo cable - very nice system.

I chose K&K for its simplicity, yet very natural sounding, and the fact that it is the least intrusive system - no more bateries in my guitars.
Mind you I'm still a Baggs fan, but I decided on the K&K route and I'm glad I did.

Cheers mate!  :smile:

I agree bud, no more batteries inside.

Yes, I am a Baggs fan too, and Fishman.

You take care now mate and enjoy.

So a couple months in Zohn, I guess she's a keeper!  That's a sweet little OM.
:beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: fongie on December 12, 2012, 02:31:38 PM
I agree bud, no more batteries inside.

Yes, I am a Baggs fan too, and Fishman.

You take care now mate and enjoy.

:smile: Thanx mate, best wishes to you too!  

Quote from: bluesman67 on December 12, 2012, 02:49:28 PM
So a couple months in Zohn, I guess she's a keeper!  That's a sweet little OM.

:smile: Hey Jeff (Joseph)!
Nice to hear from you! - how's HT Charlotte doin - you guys still gigging?
Yep I guess she's a keeper - like your Green Mountaind SD hey!  :smile:

PS - hey when did you get that Eastman E10OM?  :+1: those are terrific guits with the shorter scale length, love my E20OM too - congrats!