Best Pick Up for a Larrivee?

Started by shawnishere, September 24, 2010, 08:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thinking about a used L-09E with the Baggs 2 stereo.  I cant find a manual - what do I need to know?  eg can I run it through my Radial DI and then to the mixer? 

Jack

Thinking about a used L-09E with the Baggs 2 stereo.  I cant find a manual - what do I need to know?  eg can I run it through my Radial DI and then to the mixer?  

Jack

There is a good discussion on preamps/DI on this thread  LINK

-Billy

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 22, 2010, 04:48:55 PM
This is a good post, since I was wondering about the following.

Should I buy the standard Larrivee acoustic-electric with the factory-installed unit?

Or, should I have one installed on one of my acoustics?

It seems from the responses that most of you decided to have one installed.

The baggs system in my lv03r was not properly installed by factory. I would recommend to have it done by a local tech, then you can choose the setup and complain if it's not good.

Quote from: frankhond on December 08, 2010, 01:49:29 AM
I would recommend to have it done by a local tech, then you can choose the setup and complain if it's not good.

Very good advice!
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

i put a jjb 330 in my L-03. great natural tone and sounds just like the guitar, only louder. isn't that what we all want? high recommendations to jjb pickups, and a great price too. i run mine through a LR Baggs DI and Boss tuner... Boss gets the ohms matched up when paired.

Quote from: Wannabee on October 18, 2010, 09:34:56 PM
   I use an LR Baggs active I-Beam in my L03SP.I don't see how anything could sound any better.
:+1:
also the baggs imix no cuts are AMAZING
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

Here is a demo of the Anthem from Acoustic Guitar. How nice it is in a Larrivee. I have one now in my FIII and run it direct into a PA board or into a Crate amp. I like it both ways. I just have the basic Anthem without the balance control, but like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJwDq3OV6o&feature=feedrec_grec_index

PS: I would love to have one of these guitars in a 12 string version.
PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

Another vote for the K&K pure mini.  It's my favorite.  I also had the K&K Trinity system in my Taylor 814C but I didn't care for the mini-microphone set-up and always kept it turned off and just used the three mini pickups/sensors.  The K&K microphone did add some "air" to the sound but I had feedback problems and thought my guitar sounded better without it.  The K&K preamp does improve the tone a lot - but I've heard other guitars with just the mini sensors run through a nice mixer and they sounded just fine.  I've also used the Sunrise soundhole pickup and preamp and liked the tone I got...but I don't use it anymore.  It's heavy and I think the top vibrates better without it.  I also gotten good sound with the Fishman undersaddle Matrix Infinity run through the Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Pedal.  But all that said, I've gone back to the K&K Pure Mini and K&K Pre-amp. 

My D09 and L09 had factory installed UST (Fishman Acoustic Matrix), I have just had K&K Pure Mini installed into my JCL Re-issue and in comparison the K&K sounds a lot more 'acoustic' /natural, its a passive system and does not need the periodic 9v battery change either. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the K&K mini sounded, its also quite a cost effective solution at ~$80. I use it through my Roland AC33 and love it.
Diesel

Larrivee JCL Reissue
Epiphone EF500R
Cordoba C5CE
Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Recording King RO-27
Roland AC 33

Used to own: D09e, L09e, Yamaha APX4

My vote for ease of installation & plug in & play is the LR Baggs Ibeam w/vol. control. Its real easy to install these pickups & everything is pre-wired & ready to roll. As with any bridgeplate pickup, location is crutical! Directly under the saddle gives a fast response & snap but i've had great sucess with attaching the Ibeam in closer to the ball-ends towards the back side of the saddle. It cuts down the mids a bit & keeps the bass tight & trebs nice & clear. Every guitar is different though so take the time to experiment for the sound your looking for...that's why Baggs includes an extra 2-3 Ibeam strips for re-location.
1948 Gibson LG-2
1970 Martin D-18
1971 Martin 000-18
1974 Larrivee 12-String
1978 Larrivee L09-R

i have tried a few fishman rare earth dreadfull, it was single coil so couldnt stop the buzzing, then tried baggs M1 good sound but last year i bought the LR Baggs Anthem microphone/piazio pick up sounds awsome really good, you dont get that treble sound that so many guitars have it sounds like the nearest thing to micing the guitar up. The one i have is a 50/50 slpit and you can't alter the mic and piazio, but for a little more money you can get a fader version. My Larrivee is an 2000 L10.

Quote from: Garron on April 09, 2011, 08:22:05 AM
i have tried a few fishman rare earth dreadfull, it was single coil so couldnt stop the buzzing, then tried baggs M1 good sound but last year i bought the LR Baggs Anthem microphone/piazio pick up sounds awsome really good, you dont get that treble sound that so many guitars have it sounds like the nearest thing to micing the guitar up. The one i have is a 50/50 slpit and you can't alter the mic and piazio, but for a little more money you can get a fader version. My Larrivee is an 2000 L10.

I love the Baggs Anthem. I too have the lower priced model but you can still
alter the amount of mic/piezo. There is a very small phillips screw next to the
volume fader and that alters the balance to whatever you like. The more
expensive version just has the control readily available as fader.

I don't think any of the "standard" pickups JCL have used over the years are "best pickup for Larrivee" as such, merely good pickups that he used at some period of time for whatever reasons he had at the time. Mostly I guess it is around business economics. I do know that the switch from B-Band to Baggs was an "American content" - thing and not one being "better" than the other.

Fact is both those and the Fishmans are good pickups, and so are K&K, DTar, Sunrise, Highlander and a host of others too.

I think once one makes up your mind around a no-cut or Barn-door design, AST or UST or Mic or Magnetic and/or all the different combo's of those that are available, it is pretty much up to personal preference.

There are fans around here for each brand that was used before and the others mentioned.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

For comparing, this is a very good resource : http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I prefer the K & K as well.   

K&K trinity western for my C-10.
Installed them myself: piece of cake.
Had K&K in my Hofner HM-83 Classic: very natural sound!
Again installed them myself: piece of cake.

Have a 2004 Taylor 610-CE with ES. Doesn't come close.
Have a Cort CJ10X-12 with Fishman Stereo Blender with UnderSaddlePiezo and mic. Doesn't come close.

I am in for a J09-12 without electronics and will install K&K again without hesitation.
Have a Ricardo Sanchis Carpio 1A: consider K&K again.
Larrivee C-10
Larrivee OM-05MT
Larrivee J09-12 Maple
Ricardo Sanchis Carpio 1Ab
Ibanez AW25