Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pray for me, brothers, I've backslidden!  (Read 1507 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »

So, a couple days ago I walked into my local mom 'n' pop shop (actually they have four music stores in Omaha and Lincoln, NE) where I have done a lot of business (bought my RS-4 through them), and they had a new left-handed Les Paul Traditional hanging on the wall.

I'm talking to Dan, the guitar manager about it, and he says the boss screwed up and accidently ordered a lefty when they placed their last Gibson order. They can't send it back, so they feel "stuck" with it...he says they had a LP Studio a few years ago that hung on the wall for around 2-3 years before they blew it out on a sale.

And it's black, so it's not real desirable ... if it were a Goldtop or one of the burst ones, it would garner more interest (including from me - love Goldtops).

So he says he would make me a killer deal on it. I'm not even interested at this point, and I tell him I've got my Epiphone Elitist LP (in black also, thank you very much). He says he'll give me a good trade-in on it and still make me a great deal.

Well, next day I needed to pick up the guitar I'd brought in for some work, so I brought the Epi with me and played them side by side for around an hour through several different amps. I listened for sustain, dead spots, tone, playability etc. I looked carefully at the workmanship on the Gibson, too. The Gibson feels very different from my Epi, as it has a more 50's rounded neck (but not the full "fatback" like my son has on his SG Standard. The Gibson's neck/frets has been plek'd, and it plays pretty nice, and they'll do a free set-up on it for up to a year after purchase.

So I ask what they'll do for me. The Traditional lists for around $3,300 in Ebony, plus there's an upcharge for lefty. They would normally hang a righty on the wall for around $2,200. He says he'll take my Epi in trade and $1,375 (I paid $950 for the Epi back in 2004). I decide it's a "good trade" (Dances With Wolves) and give them the Epi plus two bills to put it on layaway...now I just have to save my pennies and or sell some other gear to get it out of hock.

I came home and played my RS-4, and I think it's still nicer than the Les Paul Traditional, but different - different scale length really changes the tone and feel of the guitars.

I'll never get rid of my RS-4 (unless forced to), but I will soon have another base covered...Lord have mercy!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »

When will you learn that when going into a music store you must wear blinders and keep your eye's on the floor.If you walk in with eye's open and no blinders then BAM your spending money.I'm a fan of Goldtops myself but lucky for me no one stocks them with P90's and a wrap-a-round bridge,they all seem to have tune-a-matics on them{thank goodness}.

So what'ca sellin???

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »

Well, as pertains to this forum, I sold my Forum IV. It was a beautiful guitar and sounded good ... but I didn't really think it sounded "great". Maybe I was expecting too much bottom end from such a small bodied guitar. But it has a good home with another forum member (who now has TWO lefty Forum IV's!!!), and I have ordered one of the Italian Spruce D-03's that Larrivee is currently building (from Jim Holler). I like the sound of a good dread, what can I say?

I also just sold (this week) a Carvin Holdsworth and a Fender Vibro Champ (silverface). With the Epi Elitist I just traded, there's lots of revolving door stuff going on with gear at my house!  I want to eventually replace the Holdsworth with another in trem version; I also have a Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy (not available with trem).

The guy who bought the Holdsworth also wants to buy another one of my Carvin's - an acoustic electric AC375...I just can't decide whether to sell it or not. It plays great and sounds excellent plugged in, but so does my Larrivee OM-05, and this would force me to play the Larrivee for worship more (sometimes I'm nervous about having my prized possession on the worship platform where a kid can walk up and start banging or it - or it could even be stolen).

... but the sale would put some more dead presidents in my pocket, so it's tempting...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »

So, a couple days ago I walked into my local mom 'n' pop shop (actually they have four music stores in Omaha and Lincoln, NE) where I have done a lot of business (bought my RS-4 through them), and they had a new left-handed Les Paul Traditional hanging on the wall.

I'm talking to Dan, the guitar manager about it, and he says the boss screwed up and accidently ordered a lefty when they placed their last Gibson order. They can't send it back, so they feel "stuck" with it...he says they had a LP Studio a few years ago that hung on the wall for around 2-3 years before they blew it out on a sale.

And it's black, so it's not real desirable ... if it were a Goldtop or one of the burst ones, it would garner more interest (including from me - love Goldtops).

So he says he would make me a killer deal on it. I'm not even interested at this point, and I tell him I've got my Epiphone Elitist LP (in black also, thank you very much). He says he'll give me a good trade-in on it and still make me a great deal.

Well, next day I needed to pick up the guitar I'd brought in for some work, so I brought the Epi with me and played them side by side for around an hour through several different amps. I listened for sustain, dead spots, tone, playability etc. I looked carefully at the workmanship on the Gibson, too. The Gibson feels very different from my Epi, as it has a more 50's rounded neck (but not the full "fatback" like my son has on his SG Standard. The Gibson's neck/frets has been plek'd, and it plays pretty nice, and they'll do a free set-up on it for up to a year after purchase.

So I ask what they'll do for me. The Traditional lists for around $3,300 in Ebony, plus there's an upcharge for lefty. They would normally hang a righty on the wall for around $2,200. He says he'll take my Epi in trade and $1,375 (I paid $950 for the Epi back in 2004). I decide it's a "good trade" (Dances With Wolves) and give them the Epi plus two bills to put it on layaway...now I just have to save my pennies and or sell some other gear to get it out of hock.

I came home and played my RS-4, and I think it's still nicer than the Les Paul Traditional, but different - different scale length really changes the tone and feel of the guitars.

I'll never get rid of my RS-4 (unless forced to), but I will soon have another base covered...Lord have mercy!

I would have made that deal too Mike. Played a Les Paul Traditional  in Charlottetown PEI a couple months back she musta weghed 11pounds man it was nice. Nicest Gibby I had come across in a music store for quite some time.

gotpics?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »

When will you learn that when going into a music store you must wear blinders and keep your eye's on the floor.If you walk in with eye's open and no blinders then BAM your spending money.

bowdown
shout it out, Brother!    (er... I mean unclrob)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »

I can be a brother.

Micky don't you have an usher or something like that that you can pass a 10 spot to guard your stuff? bigrin

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

I would have made that deal too Mike. Played a Les Paul Traditional  in Charlottetown PEI a couple months back she musta weghed 11pounds man it was nice. Nicest Gibby I had come across in a music store for quite some time.

gotpics?

I figure this one weighs somewhere north of 9 lbs. Haven't weighed it yet, but it felt about the same weight as my Elitist.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »

Mikey don't you have an usher or something like that that you can pass a 10 spot to guard your stuff? bigrin

Don't know if they'd settle for a ten; they're already off in the fellowship hall grazing at the cookie table and drinking coffee!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:15 PM »

I figure this one weighs somewhere north of 9 lbs. Haven't weighed it yet, but it felt about the same weight as my Elitist.

The Traditionals have the 7 or 8 relief holes in the body - the new Les Paul Standard's are nearly hollow - HUGE amount of wood removed from the body. We compared the Traditional to a new Standard he had on the wall - the Standard's body felt weightless in comparison...and tapping on the top around the lower bout we could hear it - solid right next to the bridge and stop tail, but hollow - very high pitched taps - around the rest of the body.

And as I said, if felt weightless - the neck almost weighed as much as the body - it felt like my hollowed out Carvin Holdsworth! The Traditional has a lot more substance to it.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »

Certainly don't want to Hijack BUT this RS4 weighs over 11 pounds while my others are between 8 and 9

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
hag99

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »

No way my RS4 weighs as much as the LP Traditional I used to own, but there are variation.

Btw, my favorite LP will always be ebony.  May get one in the future but I have a semi-hollow on the brain (339, not a LP Standard).
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

Don't know if they'd settle for a ten; they're already off in the fellowship hall grazing at the cookie table and drinking coffee!

That seems like there favorite spot.But my I offer a solution......put the donuts near your guitar.Just think how well guarded it be.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »

That seems like there favorite spot.But my I offer a solution......put the donuts near your guitar.Just think how well guarded it be.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: