Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh Oh, Slipped and Fell Into the Kool-Aid  (Read 1238 times)
zpcm04

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »

Well, now I’ve done it. 

Started out with two large bodied Taylors, then tried a Larrivee parlor.  Loved the comfort and tonal balance.  Then Ted at LA Guitar Sales did an additional run of 00-03Rs…

Old shoulders dictated out with the larger bodied guitars.  Now an 00 is on its way to me and I will soon just have two little Larry’s. wacko
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »

Well, now I’ve done it. 

Now an 00 is on its way to me and I will soon just have two little Larry’s. wacko

You won't be sorry, Great decision!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

Congrats but I'm sorry to say that I wish you wouldn't use the allusion to Koolaid. It's unnecessarily pejorative, isn't it? Jim Jones used Flavor Aid laced with cyanide to murder almost a thousand people at his so-called People's Temple. What's that got to do with loving a nice guitar?  
zpcm04

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »

I apologize for any offense.

It was just a phrase I picked up as a kid (probably before the referenced incident).

I tried to remove the thread, but was blocked.  Maybe the mods can remove it.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »

I apologize for any offense.

It was just a phrase I picked up as a kid (probably before the referenced incident).

I tried to remove the thread, but was blocked.  Maybe the mods can remove it.
  No biggie. Have a  with  or Kool Aid  whichever you prefer.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »

Throw a pickup in it and we'll do the electric kool-aid acid test 

Congrats on the new guitar

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »

Congrats but I'm sorry to say that I wish you wouldn't use the allusion to Koolaid. It's unnecessarily pejorative, isn't it? Jim Jones used Flavor Aid laced with cyanide to murder almost a thousand people at his so-called People's Temple. What's that got to do with loving a nice guitar?  

Aw cmon, I hope you meant this as a joke. Mass murder is no joke, but the connection to that pretty nasty-tasting sugary drink is a bit far-fetched.

For people who are into this kind of linking, I suggest to read Robert Fisks report about the American-made missile which hit an ambulance full of civillians in the middle-east. A shard remained with the serial number on it which clearly identified the missile, the brand, the factory, the date of manufacture... He phoned them to ask about how they felt about what their missile did. There were some interesting answers...

Anyway, this thread was about guitars....
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »

I know we use the term at work for those who go a bit too enthusiasically into management or support every lamebrain management initiative with gusto. It's never a compliment. Here, it's often thrown around by those that want to disparage those of us who love Larrivées a little more enthusiastically than they care for. It's an insult, isn't it? Falling in love is not  "drinking the koolaid". Following some huckster to a nasty fate is. I apologize, I hope I've clarified the meaning of the expression.  

If we're joking, and I like good jokes, someone might say, "Now, if we were talking Taylor Guitars, you'd have a point!"   
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »

zpcm04 sorry for the Hijack

We all come from different perspectives and for me it can be an insult or NOT. Certainly the form you used was IMO far from an insult context. To correlate this expression to Jonestown only is certainly not mine so much not mine I would deem it unfair to do so but respect anothers vantage point and sensitivities. To me it means the person has bought into the idea or product etc whether you agree or not. And I would be the 1st to admit that I drink the Larrivee Kool-Aid have been doing so since about 1985 or 86

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Hey,  I hope you love the guitar when it arrives.  When I got my OO, I had no idea it would turn into the 99% of the time go-to guitar in the house.  Yeah, shoulders.  I should probably sell the OM, but I'm hanging on until I decide whether to have shoulder surgery or not.  I hope you give a review after playing it. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

Hey,  I hope you love the guitar when it arrives.  When I got my OO, I had no idea it would turn into the 99% of the time go-to guitar in the house.  Yeah, shoulders.  I should probably sell the OM, but I'm hanging on until I decide whether to have shoulder surgery or not.  I hope you give a review after playing it. 
               Shoulders, neck, wrists, hands etc. And yet I am playing a jumbo of all things.
     Last night I was playing the Jumbo and then switched back to my 00 F-IV. For the first time it felt really small to me. After about 3 hymns from an old 1956 hymnal I found at a thrift store recently I got used to it again and played a bunch more "old timey" music.

I know the jumbo playing may come to a screeching halt, but I am thoroughly enjoying it for now.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: