Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show me your gold top RS-4 (or RS-2)  (Read 6288 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »

Holy cr*p!!!!!!Put some P90's on that,dump the tune-a-matic for a wrap-a-round or maybe a Bigsby and I could be in for one.7 1/2 pounds or liter and I'd sell my wife and sons cats to get it.OK I'll be living in a leantoo in the backyard but it be worth it. nice guitar

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »

That is one beautiful looking guitar.  I do like that gold top finish.  nice guitar

I agree with unclrob.   I would love one with P90's and a Bigsby.  drool

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

That is one beautiful looking guitar.  I do like that gold top finish.  nice guitar

I agree with unclrob.   I would love one with P90's and a Bigsby.  drool

The P-90's are certainly available - a Bigsby might be too - just a phone call away (to Matthew)!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »

calvin006,

Man that GOLDTOP is just absolutely "KILLER"! I thought I wanted a GOLDTOP bad but
know I am having a total "G.A.S. ATTACK" for a RS-4 GOLDIE!! Thanks! crying

Now that you have some playing time on your RS-4 what do you really think
about the "neck,Feel,playability and most of all the Pickups and they way the
"Volume and Tone" controls change the tones of the pickups!!!

Mac

Mac Baker
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 05:37:33 AM »

Holy cr*p!!!!!!Put some P90's on that,dump the tune-a-matic for a wrap-a-round or maybe a Bigsby

Yeah, Goldtops and P90's sure look good, but I'm digging the sound of HB's right now.  Besides, could P90's even fit in HB routing?

A bridge change might be more likely to happen.  A wrap-a-around would be classic, but I'd be concerned about the screw holes in the top left by the tune-o-matic stop bar.  Perhaps a Bigsby then... anyone happen to know what model would fit an RS-4?

Man that GOLDTOP is just absolutely "KILLER"! I thought I wanted a GOLDTOP bad but
know I am having a total "G.A.S. ATTACK" for a RS-4 GOLDIE!! Thanks!

Now that you have some playing time on your RS-4 what do you really think
about the "neck,Feel,playability and most of all the Pickups

The gold finish is really beautiful, and I usually prefer a see-through finish.  Goldtop might be the one solid color I can get down with.

The neck feels really comfortable in terms of width and fret radius.  For electrics, I'm used to a classic Fender neck (smaller nut width and 7.5" radius), so this is very different.  I certainly notice that difference, but it feels nice.  It's similar to my OM-03.  The wider nut gives more space for some intricate chord or finger work.  The super flat fretboard is also surprisingly comfortable.  And I was concerned that the poly gloss neck would be sticky, but it's not at all.  They must polish it or something as it feels really smooth, not sticky like other poly necks.

The whole guitar feels really great.  It's got that solid, thick feel like a Gibson LP, but it certainly seems thinner (is it?) and lighter.  Also, the contours keep it more sleek and comfortable than a LP.

I'm loving the pickups so far.  As I said before, they're "very rich sounding with lovely harmonics.  Still some nice sparkle and chime on the top end, which humbuckers sometimes lack."  Mostly I've been playing them with the tone knobs open (full brightness), so there's some more experimenting to be done there.  The volume pots are certainly sensitive and can influence the tone greatly.  I love that in any electric.  And running both pickups while adjusting the volume between them yields a lot of possibilities.

I'm extremely impressed with this guitar.  I've been into used and/or vintage guitars lately and I didn't think I'd be interested in a brand new guitar.  But I love my Larrivee acoustics and read so many great things about the RS-4s, I became interested.  When I found this one at a great price, I jumped on it and I'm really glad I did.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »

Lindy Fralin make's a pickup called a P92 its a split P90 that fits in the same spot as a humbuker.For looks think of the Fender Humbucker on there Tele custom 2 rows of 3 screw's.I've installed them on my short owned LP Studio,an Epiphone ES175 and in an old LP Special that was routed for humbuckers.They have a true P90 tone and as with with all P90's if you change you strumming attack the pu's tone change's.Very creamey sounding.As for an after market change of the bridge to a wrap-a-round would show some really bad scare's.Bigsby wise you can go with a B5 which is a C shape and top mounted or a B7 which has the long tailpiece that mounts on the side were the strap button is,plus 2 set screws to secure it to the top.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »

Calvin006,

I wouldn't change a single thing on your "KILLER GOLDTOP RS-4"! Why would
you want to change pickups when the Larrivee HB's can hold their ground
with the best of the BOUTIQUE HB's out their! That guitar is stunning as it is!
I can't imagine anyone buying that guitar and pulling the HB's out of it or putting
 a BIGSBY on it unless you were a "FANATIC" for a BIGSBY and didn't like HB's! whistling

The Simple solution to that would be to by one of many "LP KNOCK-OFFS"
and upgrade the pickups,electronics and if desired add a BIGSBY!

Mac

Mac Baker
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »

About the only thing I'd change would be to add another RS 4 with P90's blush

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »

I endorse that as well JOYCEfromNS!

Mac

Mac Baker
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »

I also agree in that I wouldn't change anything on your gold top.  As I said before, it's a beautiful guitar.

I like the HB's and P-90's.  If I could get one made by Larivee with a Bigby and P-90's that would be different, however I wouldn't change one already made.

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

Uncle knows what he likes and hopefully Larrivee at some point can offer these specialties, having said that Thought I saw an RS 4 with a Bigsby in a European show either late last year or spring time didn't I 

I think Mikeymac commented on it ( think it was an unclear photo)

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 12:13:49 AM »

Thanks for the tips, unclrob.  I am more of a single coil guy, so P90s are tempting, but I also bought this guitar as a way to explore HB and LP-ish tones.  I'm also in no rush to change anything, especially if it would require drilling into the body.

Still, I've missed having a Bigsby ever since I sold my Gretsch Duo Jet.  I just found a forum thread about installing a Bigsby with something called a Vibramate.  It allows you to install the Bigsby with no drilling!  Pretty neat.

But for now I'm just enjoying this guitar as it is.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »

OK I didn't mean to offend.If I had the dime I would order one with P90's and if there were a way to get it as either a wrap-a-round instead of the tune-a-matic and a Bigsby I'd be all over it.I'm not a fan of humbuckers though I have played both the Lollar which sounded harsh and nasty to me and one with Larrivee humbuckers which is probally the only time in my life that I heard a desent sounding humbucker.I suggested the Fralin's because as far as I know he's the only one making a true P90 that fits in a humbucker space.I've also used them and the one's I had made were wrapped bassed on a 53 Gibson P90,42 guage wire,alnico magnet,scatter wound with the bridge to 8400 winds and the neck being 7800 winds.Played them up against a pair of 53 LP pu's that were mounted in a 53 Goldtop.They were a bit tighter sounding at first but its been 4 years and I have played them up against the 53 LP and there a lot closer sounding now.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Jasn

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:14 AM »

Hi everyone,

I recently got my Gold top from Gary and it's a fantastic guitar. I promised I'd make some video clips, well here is the first one.
I should note, although the RS-4 has a killer 'rock' tone, this video doesn't cover the full sonic palate of the RS-4. So I may make another as the guitar is much more versatile than what you hear.

I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqnMFCxQco

Cheers,

Jason
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »

Jason,

Awesome looking RS-4 Goldtop that you snagged for yourself! Thanks so much for posting your clip! The Larrivee HB's are really "SPECIAL PICKUPS" and you have so many tonal possibilities by tweaking the tone and volume pots especially with the pickup selector in the middle position! Really nice little track you put down with the RS-4 and your MESA 5:50 amp! 

I have got to get some clips recorded of my ROOTBEER RS-4 as well as my AMBER RS-2 with the
LARRIVEE P-90's! Should have some soon!

Mac

Mac Baker
Jasn

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 06:15:52 AM »

I would love to hear the P-90s!! If you do make some clips please keep us informed!
GoldTopsRock

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

I recently got my Gold top from Gary and it's a fantastic guitar. I promised I'd make some video clips, well here is the first one.
I should note, although the RS-4 has a killer 'rock' tone, this video doesn't cover the full sonic palate of the RS-4. So I may make another as the guitar is much more versatile than what you hear.

I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqnMFCxQco

Cheers,

Jason

Jason

Awesome GoldTop  nice guitar Sounds great!  You're very talented.

Thanks for the video. It's very much appreciated.

Cheers 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: