Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show me your gold top RS-4 (or RS-2)  (Read 6525 times)
calvin006

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »

Sight unseen, I just bought an RS-4 gold top... it makes me a little nervous, but I own an OM-03 and an D-03R, and I trust in Larrivee quality.  Plus I've read such great reviews here and elsewhere online.  Ultimately though, the price was just too good to turn down, thanks to the tip that put an RS-4 in my price range.

It's currently being shipped out to me, and I've been scouring the net for photos of Larrivee gold tops.  There's only a few out there, but I need more to tide me over while I wait.  Any gold top owners out there want to share?

macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

calvin006,

Congrats dude on snagging a "FABULOUS GUITAR" in arguably one of the most
vintage colors you can get for a LES PAUL STYLE guitar like the RS-4! 

GOLDTOPROCKS has an RS-4 with the GOLDTOP finish! I am sure he will post
some pics for you to see when he reads your posting!

My ROOTBEER RS-4 is my favorite guitar "BY A LANDSLIDE" of all the electrics
that I have owned over the past 35 years! nice guitar

Mac

Mac Baker
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm excited to get my hands on it.  Those rootbeer ones are really cool.  I didn't have my choice of color, as it was a liquidation type deal and the gold top was all they had left.  But I've always liked Gibson gold tops, so I think I'll be happy with it.  Besides, flamed maple, although a beautiful wood, can sometimes look too fancy and over the top on a guitar for my tastes.  I'm thinking mostly of PRS here, and maybe the amber RS-4.  But I like the Larrivee bursts because they let the flamed wood fade to a solid color.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:13:09 AM »

Congrats calvin sorry can't show you a Goldtop BUT how about this new Lacewood top blush

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:12:10 AM »

Wow, lacewood?  Never heard of it.  Looks really nice.  I dig exposed wood in my guitars (I like being reminded that I'm playing a glorified piece of wood) and that lacewood is a bit more understated than the flamed maple.  Is Larrivee starting mass production of these?  What does it sound like compared to the thick slab of maple?

Oh, and if anyone still wants to share their gold top, I'd love to see it!
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »

HOLY SHAZAM JOYCEfromNS drool

Damn that Lacewood is awesome! What is the stain color sprayed on top of that or
is that the natural color of the wood with just the clear coats on top! bowdown

When did you take ownership of this "GORGEOUS" RS-4! whistling

Mac

Mac Baker
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:55:10 AM »

Sight unseen, I just bought an RS-4 gold top... it makes me a little nervous, but I own an OM-03 and an D-03R, and I trust in Larrivee quality.  Plus I've read such great reviews here and elsewhere online.

Don't be nervous. I've owned five or six Larrivees now, and my RS-4 is highest in quality of all of them except my old faithful 1992 OM-05...the build and quality of the RS-4 remind me of this 18 year old guitar. All of my others have been nice, but they've all lacked "something" compared to these two (which is why I've sold a D-03R, an LV-09 and even my Forum IV 00-03MT).

I'm thinking my next Larrivee acoustic will be an older D-09 or D-05 if I can find a lefty...I seem to prefer some of the build characteristics of the older guitars (yes, I believe there are notable differences from the new ones...not flaming or trying to hijack the thread, that's just my experience thus far...).

You will LOVE your RS-4!   nice guitar

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:59:52 AM »

Congrats calvin sorry can't show you a Goldtop BUT how about this new Lacewood top blush

Crapola, man - how many of these do you have now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!    

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:38:05 AM »

Although I've been a Larrivee owner for several years, this thread was my first post.  I just read the forium rules (a bit late) and saw that, by order of rule #9, I, as a newbie, am required to provide virtual donuts for the forum members.  There's a lot of members, but we'll start with this: 

Will this entice anyone to provide some gold top eye candy?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »

Crapola, man - how many of these do you have now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!    

blush  5

What can I say I truly luv the RS4. Everything has a price tho and in my case my Gibsons and Fenders rarely get played now, just when people come over. Most are blown away by the  RS4 Craftmanship and sound tho admittedly the headstock envy on the Gibbys and Fenders for many is hard to get past

The difficulty in my part of the world ( Nova Scotia ) is to find an RS4. When I travel I certainly keep this in mind.

As far as the Lacewood model I am told there were only two made. Not sure if Larrivee plans on offering more in the future as that rude picture of mine certainly does not do it justice

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »

Beautiful RS-4.  I like the way the lacewood looks and I agree that the photo doesn't do it justice.   I have the counter part to yours, except with black binding.

nice guitar

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:34 AM »

blush  5

Five...

...that's just not right...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
bel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:11:47 AM »

I have the counter part to yours, except with black binding.

nice guitar

Mike

So one is light, and one is dark. Ying and Yang - good and evil!
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »

Well, I guess I'll post the first gold top pics in this thread...

This was just with a junky camera, but you get the idea.  Although I didn't actually "choose" this color (it was all that was left in a closeout deal), I'm really digging the gold top.  Plus, I read that the gold tops take 3 times as long as any other finish, so I'm feeling like this guitar got some extra attention, which makes me feel special bigrin

I haven't been able to plug it in yet (had it shipped to work, I commute by bike, hope to get it home soon) but the feel of it is amazing.  I was worried about the poly gloss finish being too thick and sticky like on a lot of modern guitars, but it's quite thin and well polished for a really smooth feel on the neck.  The super flat radius is also surprisingly comfortable.  All my other electrics are classic Fender radius of 7.5, so this is a big change for me.  But it feels good!

Hope to get some extended time with this guitar soon... and plug it in!  Can't wait for that...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »

That is SWEET!!!  nice guitar for sure!

How can you leave that beauty at work!?!? I think I would have asked (begged!) someone for a ride home in order to be able to plug in ASAP! These are just such amazing guitars - everytime I pick mine up, I get a smile on my face!

I'll be playing mine this Sunday for worship...we're doing a couple tunes that just call for a good, solid, sweet humbucker tone!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »

Calvin006,

OH MY GOODNESS!! crying
SHAZAM!! drool

Dude that GOLDTOP is just plain "SMOKIN & SICK LOOKING"!DADGUM

I want a GOLDTOP now! I want a GOLDTOP BAD!!

Absolutely just a "STUNNING VINTAGE" looking guitar with that GORGEOUS GOLDTOP FINISH!

Thanks for giving me another BAD CASE OF "LARRIVEE G.A.S."!That's just what I needed!

Mac

Mac Baker
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »

Another question - do you know which pickups your goldtop has? Lollars or Larrivees?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:47 AM »

Another question - do you know which pickups your goldtop has? Lollars or Larrivees?

Well, when I requested a manufacturing date from Larrivee I also asked which pickups were intsalled (when purchased I had been told they were Larrivees).  They said the guitar was finished in June of '09 and that it had Lollars.  From what I've read here, that seemed pretty late to have Lollars, so I had a look for myself and they are Larrivees, branded with the logo.  Now the question is which generation... from what I've read on another post my guess is they are the 2nd gen.
macsmojado

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:55 AM »

You will love the "Larrivee P-90's" as Matthew has really stepped up to the plate with
building the Larrivee Custom In-House Pickups for the electrics! They are very vintage
voiced and old school! They nail the CLASSIC ROCK tones from the 70's! 

The P-90's on my RS-2 are dripping with classic rock tones!

Mac

Mac Baker
calvin006

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »

You will love the "Larrivee P-90's"

I actually have the humbuckers, and now that I've actually had some time to play I'm really liking them.  Very rich sounding with lovely harmonics.  Still some nice sparkle and chime on the top end, which humbuckers sometimes lack.

Also had a chance to take some real pictures, and given the name of this thread I figured I should share them here:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: