Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoom Q3 looking for tips/best settings  (Read 3930 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »

Hi all,
Getting one step closer to posting videos on Utube.  Yesterday, I purchased a Zoom Q3 recorder.  I've been fooling with it today and I really like it.  The instructions are sketchy or non-existent regarding what are best settings to use for various applications and tradeoffs between sound quality settings vs disadvantages.

Specifically:
1. When or why would I use a PCM setting VS an MP3 setting?

2. Any reasons why I wouldn't use the highest sampling rates and bit rates available?

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Stay tuned for my first video in the next couple of days.

Kurt 

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »

I just usd the best quality settings on mine.  Never got on very well with it and sold it soon after.

Have you downloaded the latest OS for it? I think it is free from Zoom/Samson.  Makes lighting much better (auto contrast) and offers a better zoom feature.

Have fun with it, it does well for sound reproduction.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

I just usd the best quality settings on mine.  Never got on very well with it and sold it soon after.

Have you downloaded the latest OS for it? I think it is free from Zoom/Samson.  Makes lighting much better (auto contrast) and offers a better zoom feature.

Have fun with it, it does well for sound reproduction.

BenF thanks for your quick response.
Any problems I should be aware of then?  Just curious why you didn't keep it?

Just downloaded the latest version of the firmware this morning.

Should I use a PCM setting or an MP3 setting for doing YouTube videos?

Kurt

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »

Pretty sure I just left mine on mp3.

I found the physical shape of it awkward, i.e. it was hard to position correctly without it falling over, even on a tripod.  I also found the USB cable very awkward, and felt it would break in time through twisting (i.e. so short)  I liked the H2, because it worked as a USB mic as well as a recorder, but the Q3 doesn't.

Uploading to youtube directly ALWAYS failed for me.  I had to put it onto the computer and then uplead it, slowly.

Apart from these niggles (and I am nitpicking) it was good.  Sound quality was great.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:03:47 AM »

Pretty sure I just left mine on mp3.

I found the physical shape of it awkward, i.e. it was hard to position correctly without it falling over, even on a tripod.  I also found the USB cable very awkward, and felt it would break in time through twisting (i.e. so short)  I liked the H2, because it worked as a USB mic as well as a recorder, but the Q3 doesn't.

Uploading to youtube directly ALWAYS failed for me.  I had to put it onto the computer and then uplead it, slowly.

Apart from these niggles (and I am nitpicking) it was good.  Sound quality was great.
  If I may ask. How about the best settings for a Zoom 2? Or is there a thread where this has been hashed out already?
      I am wanting to put up 4 or 5 songs soon.

L07 Shooting Star : Apologies Kurt for steering this a bit off course.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »

If I may ask. How about the best settings for a Zoom 2? Or is there a thread where this has been hashed out already?
      I am wanting to put up 4 or 5 songs soon.

L07 Shooting Star : Apologies Kurt for steering this a bit off course.
No worries.   
I think you and I are looking for the same info and the best settings would apply to both units I would guess.  Hopefully someone out there has some good tips for us.

Kurt

DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »

Kurt:  Look forward to seeing your video and how you sound.

Will also look forward to your thoughts on the Zoon Q3.  I have been looking (on EvilBay) to get one now that the prices are so far down.  From several tech magazines and forums I understand the next generation, Zoom Q3 HD is due out end of this year...about now.  Big difference is that it does HD level video.  Sound is about the same per early reviews.

For what I intend to do (my practice, post a few sites and regular family, grandkids type stuff) I am not sure waiting for the HD is such a deal.  The HD model will obviously cost more and I would be just as well served, and at a MUCH better price, to go with the Q3.

Please let us know what you think of your new Q3.  Good luck on getting it fine tuned!

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »

Hi DJ and all.
Haven't been able to visit the forum for a few weeks so apologize for not keeping up with responses, etc.
Anyways, I did in fact make one video with the Q3 and it was posted in the forum Youtube channel shortly after my last post in this thread (early september).  I'm fairly happy with the video, but haven't had a chance to experiment much with the Q3 to see if I can make a better one, "production wise".  I am hoping to have more time to experiment with it starting in December.

I never did get much response in the way of tips, settings, insights, PCM vs MP3, etc. on using the Q3 and am still looking for that kind of info if anyone out there cares to provide some.  Based on my limited experience with it so far, I really like the Q3.  I bought it mostly for the audio which was rated highly by some in the forum.  Now that I already have mine, I don't think I would invest in the HD version at this time just for the improved video.  However, if the audio was also much better, I might think about it.  If I was starting from scratch, I might have gone for the HD version, though.  What is the difference in cost between the two models, I wonder.

Here is a link the the forum Youtube channel if you don't already know about it.  http://www.youtube.com/user/larriveeforum  My name in there is Oldshootingstar.

Kurt

Reney..

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:46 AM »

i always use the highest setting, then edit it using my logic 9 

Taylor 210 CE (American Made)
Larrivee LV-03 MHE

----------------------------------------------------------------

1991 American Standard Stratocaster
2003 Epiphone Alleykat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print