T for trade..traitor.. TAYLOR???

Started by Danny, August 31, 2010, 11:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Very nice Danny! Isn't it fun to try new and different things! My love affair with a Martin D ended abruptly, but the guitar is in the very capable hands of my brother in law. I hope you enjoy this for a while, and then we'll see whats next!

:nana_guitar
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Simply beautiful, I hope you're able to enjoy it for a long time. The one picture (staight on the top) gave me the idea of a twelve fret jumbo, or perhaps mini jumbo as a forum guitar. With mahogany b/s.

Thanks for sharing your new toy. :beer
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: tadol on September 01, 2010, 11:47:28 PM
Very nice Danny! Isn't it fun to try new and different things! My love affair with a Martin D ended abruptly, but the guitar is in the very capable hands of my brother in law. I hope you enjoy this for a while, and then we'll see whats next!

:nana_guitar
It is fun to try the new ones. Especially if it's something you always wanted, or close enough. (SJ-200) I had my Martin two years I think and didn't have plans of letting it go, but I'm enjoying playing this Taylor. I've been playing and writing a little more for "My simple tune". My wife threw in a line this morning as well.
         I've been swimming which helps my shoulders and with the tight waist this Jumbo has not hurt my shoulder yet.  So we'll see how long I keep it.

Quote from: broKen on September 01, 2010, 11:59:56 PM
Simply beautiful, I hope you're able to enjoy it for a long time. The one picture (staight on the top) gave me the idea of a twelve fret jumbo, or perhaps mini jumbo as a forum guitar. With mahogany b/s.

Thanks for sharing your new toy. :beer
The song I'm writing has a line about toys at the beginning. I'll record it with different guitars and put it up soon.
           Between the Jumbo talk on the forum 5 discussion and ST's new all KOA Larrivee reminding me of a J-200 this one came along at just the right time for me to say yes.

Dan, one NICE & beautiful guitar! Think you made the right move, as you should always go with what you really want?? Hopefully, the shoulder won't EVER be a problem & this gem will be a keeper!
   Congrats again! Just love that maple! And, the giant Cypress! :nice guitar: :bowdown:
     J
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Congrats on the guitar Danny!  Not T for traitor! 

I can't speak for Dotneck, but I did see, hear, and upside down play his J-185 and it's a keeper  :thumb
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thanks guys,  Jeff my shoulders have already been causing problems, but some sizes work and some don't.  I never thought I could play a Jumbo for an hour again the rest of my life. But I have been taking it easier on stressing out my body with work. And it has helped to reduce the pain and increase movement.
   I can hold a pick again. Which I know must sound strange to most people, but I had got to the point where I couldn't about two years ago. So I started playing with a fingerstyle that would limber my hands up. I still lose a pick sometimes while playing but I can strum with one. (Forget flat picking I'd put an eye out.)

Life is strange sometimes, but it beats the alternative. :winkin:

Quote from: dependan on September 02, 2010, 06:47:36 PM
   Thanks guys, 

Life is strange sometimes, but it beats the alternative. :winkin:

Uhh, do you speak from experience???!!! :doh

Sorry, it must be a mood I'm in. :wink:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Danny,

Well, surprise of all surprises.   I'm just tuning into this thread now.  It answers the question I had from another thread about your letting go of the OM-21.  The fact that you can play this jumbo reminds me to keep my options open in life.  Try things.  I might be surprised.  Congratulations on a really beautiful guitar there.

Quote from: ryler on September 13, 2010, 07:10:46 PM
Danny,

Well, surprise of all surprises.   I'm just tuning into this thread now.  It answers the question I had from another thread about your letting go of the OM-21.  The fact that you can play this jumbo reminds me to keep my options open in life.  Try things.  I might be surprised.  Congratulations on a really beautiful guitar there.
Thanks, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I think the last 2 years of playing smaller guitars and doing less physically demanding work has allowed me to be able to play certain larger guitars again.

I will probably end up with a 000 size for the long run though. The jumbo may be just too large. But I do play it daily for now. Along with my 00 F-IV.
   This is a surprisingly good wood combo for fingerstyle.

WOW ~ WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR  :nice guitar:  :drool:

If it sounds half as good as it looks, then you have a winner my friend.

Enjoy it in good health

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Danny - just found this - wonderful looking jumbo - correct that - stunning is a better word.  Glad to hear the size is working for you!!  So many guitars - so little time??  Do you like the wood combo?

Very much enjoying the D03MH you sent my way - gets better sounding all the time!  If you do decide to part with the jumbo some day, let me know - it is on my 'list'.  Greg (from Canada)

Quote from: gracem on October 16, 2010, 06:01:29 PM
Danny - just found this - wonderful looking jumbo - correct that - stunning is a better word.  Glad to hear the size is working for you!!  So many guitars - so little time??  Do you like the wood combo?

Very much enjoying the D03MH you sent my way - gets better sounding all the time!  If you do decide to part with the jumbo some day, let me know - it is on my 'list'.  Greg (from Canada)
Hi Greg, great to hear from you. I'm really happy that the D-03MT found the right home. I enjoy my 00-03MT as well. Just as you said it gets better sounding all the time.
      I do like the combo on the Taylor Jumbo. The Engelmann is definitely different than Sitka spruce on this series. It really suits my playing style well.
      I know someday I will sell it though. I can play this easier than a dread, which is a big surprise. But for the long haul I know my shoulders will rebel eventually.
       This Taylor is sounding better the more it gets played as well. A friend asked to use it to record some songs and said it worked out really well. I haven't had a chance to hear the recordings yet.

Beautiful guitar.  I have a Taylor 12 string and I think  they make some very nice guitars.  I think life is too short to worry about only playing one make of guitar.  There are some wonderful ones out there just waiting to be enjoyed.

LJ

Congratulations Danny, nice guitar!

I like to comment also on your compositions also - nice choices of background for your photos.  The guitar looks like a tiger in the woods because of the maple looks.  I used to take a lot of landscape pictures before I became a wedding photographer.  I miss those trips in the woods, specially duriing fall.

Enjoy your Taylor.
"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"

Quote from: maLavvo on October 26, 2010, 12:09:04 PM
Congratulations Danny, nice guitar!

I like to comment also on your compositions also - nice choices of background for your photos.  The guitar looks like a tiger in the woods because of the maple looks.  I used to take a lot of landscape pictures before I became a wedding photographer.  I miss those trips in the woods, specially duriing fall.

Enjoy your Taylor.
I can't take very good pics at all. But on some of these I did think they were decent. I even thought one might be GOTM. Obviously that wouldn't happen :arrow

You just need to mix it up some.Though I sould my J05 I did keep both of my Guild jumbo's.The body depth from front to back on the J05 was just too deep.So I play the jumbo for an hour move onto the LS's and finish up with the OM03PA.Every couple of days I pull out my Gibson L7 archtop.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I do mix em up. And when I feel too much strain just stick to the 00. It is real nice having a Jumbo around though, it is a guitar size I have wanted for years.

I understand completely.The first jumbo I ever owned was a Conrad copy of a J200 back in ok dating myself 1975.Then went on a dread bing mostly early Alvarez's and Guilds.Had an F50FM in 1980,traded that in 87 for my JF30/12 and 6 months later got my JF30.Almost bought a Taylor jumbo in 98 but had a love/hate thing going on so I never bought it.Saw my first Larrivvee jumbo in 97 it was a J03E but I hate trap door electronics.Finaly got a J05 that was my main squeeze for years until the shoulder started calling me name's and causing me pain.So now I've got my jumbo Guilds and my 2 LS's and the OM.I do plain on adding either an L05/12 with a 12 fret neck or an OM05 12 string,unless I can come across another OM03/12 but I want a mahogany.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 26, 2010, 09:07:09 PM
I understand completely.The first jumbo I ever owned was a Conrad copy of a J200 back in ok dating myself 1975.Then went on a dread bing mostly early Alvarez's and Guilds.Had an F50FM in 1980,traded that in 87 for my JF30/12 and 6 months later got my JF30.Almost bought a Taylor jumbo in 98 but had a love/hate thing going on so I never bought it.Saw my first Larrivvee jumbo in 97 it was a J03E but I hate trap door electronics.Finaly got a J05 that was my main squeeze for years until the shoulder started calling me name's and causing me pain.So now I've got my jumbo Guilds and my 2 LS's and the OM.I do plain on adding either an L05/12 with a 12 fret neck or an OM05 12 string,unless I can come across another OM03/12 but I want a mahogany.
Very nice collection Rob. If I ever complete my 5 or 6 rebuilds I'll have many more small bodied guitars to choose from. Time is hard to come by to do the repairs/refinish right though. Maybe a few will get done this winter.