Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Blue Grass Pickin  (Read 2095 times)
striper

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »

I bought my L-05 three years ago (used at a Guitar Center but "Perfect" condition) with the thought of doing something of a more traditional nature that the Rock&Roll and contempory acoustic  bands Ive played with forever...Well, I found it!  I joined a traditional "BlueGrass" band a few months ago (The Higgins and Smith BlueGrass band...see website) ) and played my first gig with them this past sunday (The Dutchess County Fair)  My L-05 was just perfect , plenty loud (no amplification for these purists) and the even tone up ,down and  the neck was just right...Never thought of this Guitar as a Flat-Picker  (I always played fingerstyle on it) but its a real winner for Blue Grass   ...Anyone else out there using one for FlatPicking?  FlatPicker Fred
jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »

Not that I'm ready to gig or anything, but I've been learning some bluegrass tunes on my L-03 and the guitar handles them just fine (now the player is another matter).  Maybe not quite as loud as a full-sized dread, though I've got mine strung with lights so that's got to be factored in.  My gut tells me that the guitar will be able to handle flat-picking as fast as I can build my repertoire.  Now that consists primarily of Whiskey Before Breakfast, Gold Rush, and Molly Bloom.  When I bought the guitar I thought I'd play mostly fingerstyle, but this flat-picking stuff is quickly growing on me.

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »

Use to play my L09Koa at bluegrass jams and never had a problem keeping up.Purist blue grass players seem to prefer a slghtly higher acouctic which gives you a bit more volumn,with lower action you loss some volumn but you do gain tone.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »

Prefer playing my DO3R for flatpicking with the bluegrass band. Still get drowned out by the banjo most of the time. Anyone else have this problem?

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »

Prefer playing my DO3R for flatpicking with the bluegrass band. Still get drowned out by the banjo most of the time. Anyone else have this problem?

There's a reason why Dana Bourgeois advertises one of his guitars as the banjo-killer!

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:10 AM »

I find foaming the inside of the resonator does a good enough job so guitars players have any chance of playing as loud.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:46 AM »

You should try one of Larrivee's mandolins 

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »

Good idea Uncle Rob. Banjo player would never agree. He likes the banjo being dominant...says that is what Bluegrass music is all about.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:18:35 AM »

He's a banjo player so we know he's wrong its all about the harmony and the high lonesome.If you want to drive them crazy pick on the mando player,ask him were he learned to play reggea.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

I always hear rock'n'roll riffs when a good mandolin player plays a fast solo. I think Bill Monroe was secretly wearing blue suede shoes.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: