Two Questions

Started by chuck_forbes, December 07, 2003, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question one: I tried a L-03R, and was quite impressed. Against an LV-09 (can't afford it, but thought I'd compare the L to something nice), I thought it sounded better, but the neck on the LV played better. I would prefer the more playable neck, as my hands aren't as strong as they used to be due to a medical condition. Should the neck on the two instruments be equally as adjustable, so that I could get the straight L model and have it feel like this particular LV?

Question two: The dealer I went to has his guitars priced well above the prices I've been coming accross that people have paid online, and at their local stores (at Harmony Central a fella reported $1250 for an L-09 purchased 09-2003, can that be for real?). If my local dealer is unwilling to be more competitive, is there a suggested online store that anyone suggests (I've looked at MusiciansBuy and GuitarAdoptions thanks to everyone here), or perhaps a dealer you like that's willing to ship?

I'm ready to get a guitar. My dealings with another dealer on a used Taylor 810 fell through yesterday. The bright side is, I didn't know that a local dealer sold Larrivees. In my dismal mood I decided to stop in, and unexpectedly came across these fantastic guitars. Fate?

Thanks
-cf

I bought my larrivee here:  http://www.musiciansbuy.com/guitar_bass_ac...s_larrivee.html I had great luck. I asked them what their rock bottom price was and they knocked some off of their advertised price.
By playable neck, do you mean the playability and action of the guitar? If that's what you mean, you can get the L-03 set up just as good as the LV-09. The action on Larrivees seems to come set up a little higher than some people would like. I recommend having it set up how you like it by a good luthier. Should cost $50.
Also, the price you saw on Harmony Central seems way out of whack.

Alternately, you should keep an eye on Ebay.  I found my L-05 w/ pickup a couple of months ago for a little under $700, it was 5 years old and had a small ding in the front.  I had been looking for an L-03, since that was more in my price range, but got lucky and landed something a bit prettier.  I don't really need the pickup, I am still a beginner, but maybe in a couple of years!   :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Slim

QuoteI bought my larrivee here:  http://www.musiciansbuy.com/guitar_bass_ac...s_larrivee.html I had great luck. I asked them what their rock bottom price was and they knocked some off of their advertised price.
By playable neck, do you mean the playability and action of the guitar? If that's what you mean, you can get the L-03 set up just as good as the LV-09. The action on Larrivees seems to come set up a little higher than some people would like. I recommend having it set up how you like it by a good luthier. Should cost $50.
Also, the price you saw on Harmony Central seems way out of whack.
That price on Harmony Central isn't way out of whack. I know because I'm the one who posted that listing. I have since sold that Larrivée L-09 on eBay.  :)  
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

You never know what you'll find, but that price is a bit low for a current model (i.e., with current Larrivee prices). Even the cheap guys like Buffalo Bros typically go only about 40% off list, which would put an L-09 at $1379. Add another $250 for a cutaway.

However, just a couple months ago I bought an OM-09 brand new locally for a ridiculous $899. The store is dropping Larrivees I think. Still, sometimes we get lucky.  :D  

Crap! I would jump all over an OM-09 for $899. It's hard enough finding a used OM-03R.  :angry:  
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

Yep, and I was just stopping to look at guitar stands or some such thing. I walked out that day with the OM-09 and a D-09 Brazilian for a similarly outlandish price. Good thing there was room on the credit card!  

They had a D-09 walnut there for less than a grand too. Sounded very nice. That guitar is still in the store, though the discount price is no longer on it.  

I'd also contact Spruce Tree Music. It's where I found my OM-09K. They often have new guitars that are a few model years back at very good prices (http://www.sprucetreemusic.com). They were a pleasure to deal with. We've now bought 2 guitars from them, and visited their store when we were passing through Wisconsin.

Deb :P  
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

My vote is for www.bestpriceguitar.com in Oklahoma City.
I bought my OMV-09 form them.
Great people. Great prices at least at that time.
They are all over E-bay with their stuff too. At least the Lefty stuff which is my preference.
Just my not so humble opinion.
Barry.  :D