High End Cables???

Started by Glennd, August 18, 2010, 08:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut :donut2 :coffee
Something to eat and drink while you think!!!! Need thoughts and ideas (recommendations) on higher end cables. I was recently loaned (for a short trial period) a Monster cable acoustic guitar cable. I would have bet big and lost that a cable could make the difference in sound that i heard. Playing through a Carvin acoustic amp the improvement was difficult to believe. Given I was previously using "inexpensive" cables, I now believe high end cables to worth the price. Question, what other cables have the participants of this forum had experience with and also will Mic cables produce the same improvement? How about speaker cables?
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

I have a monster cable and another heavy duty cable. I like them for the durability and the warranty.
But honestly I can't hear the difference from the cheapies.
Reminds me of a lot of ultra-high end audio equipment from the old days. Nice stuff, but I couldn't really hear the difference once I moved beyond the cheap stuff.
Not saying others can't hear it. (Just for my own ears.)

The guage of the wire and what ends your using are more important.I'm not a fan of the Monster cable due to having had to deal with a bad batch that broke down at a very rapid rate.I prefer Belden low resistant braided wire cable 12 guage with either Switchcraft or Nuwkert tips.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I have had good results from Planet Waves Circuit  Breaker cables.  They have a built in circuit breaker button on the guitar plug end that you press in to break the circuit.  Comes in handy when you need to change guitars quickly on stage.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on August 18, 2010, 12:03:06 PM
I have had good results from Planet Waves Circuit  Breaker cables.  They have a built in circuit breaker button on the guitar plug end that you press in to break the circuit.  Comes in handy when you need to change guitars quickly on stage.

They are good cables! +1 as are many out there. George L, Mogami, Lava lots to choose from.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I won't buy monster cables...don't care for the company.  Check out Lava cables...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

They disappear too easily to spend more and cheap cables aren't worth it. I try to buy decent quality, heavy duty cables without spending too much. Planet Waves and Ibanez lately.

Unless you did your evaluation blind, you can easily fool yourself into thinking that the cable made a difference.  Please watch this video by Ethan Winer on 'Audio Myths' at the Audio Engineering Society meeting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

I remember back in the day when some folks believed you could improve the sound of a CD by coloring the edge of the CD with a green Sharpie marker.

P.T. Barnum said it best describing these folks.

Caveat emptor.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Just curious why Michael T and dotneck don't like Monster Cable. Are the reasons something that would help me decide what brand(s) to eventually invest in. Also no one has responded to the ? about mic cables making a difference. I have a Carvin stereo PA system and the Carvin speaker cables are on the "inexpensive" side but are very quite and seem to deliver very good sound. Maybe I'm searching for something that doesn't exist. Perhaps there is something so obvious I can't see it. This forum always seems to be virtual fountain of info.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Many thanks to rockstar_not for the link. Only had time for about half. You mention blind testing, but the speaker made it plain that blind testing was only needed when differences were subtle. The difference I hear (and the experiment is repeatable) is far from subtle. Perhaps I have been penny wise and dollar foolish by using clearance sale $9.95 cables in the past. I tried 4 differant cables that I have had for a long time. Blindfolded and wearing earplugs the Monster cable is vastly superior. I am not hawking Monster brand. I have heard from local sources that Lava cables are even better than Monster. I am willing to spend $$ to get quality, but would like to as informed a consumer as possible.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

There are several physical and electrical specifications that make it easy to determine if an individual cable will outperform another (resistance/100', capacitance/100', shield type and coverage, outer covering durability and flexibility, etc.). Unfortunately, most companies, especially Monster and some of the other "high end" manufacturers, purposely don't publish specs, but instead rely on hype, good looks and "the more you pay, the more it's worth" gullibility of the public.

I have hundreds of cables, of all types, that I use daily in my work. Most I have constructed myself from quality cable (Canare and Mogami) and connectors (Neutrik and Switchcraft). My cable failure rate is almost nil.I have cables that have been rolled, un-rolled, stepped on and rolled-up again almost daily for as long as 14 years.

I have had the opportunity to compare my cables with just about everything out there, and I see no need to "upgrade".
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on August 19, 2010, 08:58:14 AM

I have hundreds of cables, of all types, that I use daily in my work. Most I have constructed myself from quality cable (Canare and Mogami) and connectors (Neutrik and Switchcraft). My cable failure rate is almost nil.I have cables that have been rolled, un-rolled, stepped on and rolled-up again almost daily for as long as 14 years.

Ronmac always a wealth of Info and ideas  :donut :coffee

Been using George L's of late myself
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Moving from a piece of junk to an item of quality will nearly always be an eye-opener. Chances are, however, if you believe, let's say, that a Ryan is better than a Larrivée, not because you've played and compared several and have been convinced by evidence but because they cost 2-3 times more, you're a perfect customer for Monster Cables.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 19, 2010, 12:32:09 PM
Moving from a piece of junk to an item of quality will nearly always be an eye-opener. Chances are, however, if you believe, let's say, that a Ryan is better than a Larrivée, not because you've played and compared several and have been convinced by evidence but because they cost 2-3 times more, you're a perfect customer for Monster Cables.
I don't quite agree with that assessment. I come form the world of high-end audio where cables exist in the OMG category.  Overall, the lower the gauge the less resistance and less signal loss. The purer the conductor and the fewer joint, splices etc, the better.  The geometry of the wire and the qualities of the covering  can be demonstrated to make a difference that is visible on a oscilloscope.  What is best is argumentative.

But Duck is right. There is a whole bunch of hoodoo involved and marketing to separate the customer from the cash.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I've moved away from Monster Cables for an entirely different reason. I don't like the way they lie on the floor. They don't trail very well when you move and the additional thickness is a deterant in their pliability. That said, I don't have cheap cables either. I use Mogami. If you have a need for a pluggin in and out without the associated PA "pop", you can get ends that are non-popping ends. I think Neutrik has a silent plug.

Personally, I use a silent end plug on my electric guitar because I will sometimes change electrics during sets. However, I have not used one on my acoustic because I run the Larrivee on a separate line out and don't generally switch acoustics. If I do, I have a tuning pedal that I'll kill the signal with previous to changing out an acoustic.

The Mogami cable seems much more pliable, follows movement with less resistance, and lies on the stage flat.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Glennd on August 19, 2010, 08:03:44 AM
Just curious why Michael T and dotneck don't like Monster Cable.

I've spent many decades in the A/V business....and a good cable is essential for getting the job done. so I like a solid product at a reasonable price.

Not sure about Michael T but my most important reason is that I don't believe they are worth their price. There are many cables just as good for half as much money. They have become a dominant name in the cable business and now you paybig money to wear their name. And I believe other products available at as good or better at a lower cost.

The weak points on cables are the connectors...make sure they are good. Lava cables makes great cables as well as supplies a variety of other name brand cables. Run by a good guy too. You can learn a lot by reading on the Lava Cable web site.

The second reason is I don't care for the way Monster runs its business. Google Monster Cable and lawsuit for an interesting evening's reading...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: cke on August 19, 2010, 02:21:00 PM
I don't quite agree with that assessment. I come form the world of high-end audio where cables exist in the OMG category.  Overall, the lower the gauge the less resistance and less signal loss. The purer the conductor and the fewer joint, splices etc, the better.  The geometry of the wire and the qualities of the covering  can be demonstrated to make a difference that is visible on a oscilloscope.  What is best is argumentative.

But Duck is right. There is a whole bunch of hoodoo involved and marketing to separate the customer from the cash.

Well, I tried to indicate that there's a difference between junky stuff that merely works and items of quality but like you say there's a lot of hoodoo involved. I look at it this way. Show me the worst of the best. I want to shake hands with the world's shortest, tall man. I want to meet the homliest, pretty girl in the crowd. I want to be the world's best, not very good guitar player! :wacko:

Your signal chain is only as good as the weakest link. Why would you even consider upgrading your signal cables before you have looked after the power side of things?

Power cord
Retail: 3 feet - $199/$20 per additional foot, $100 to upgrade to deluxe version
Ron

I had all kinds of issues with Monster stuff, ground hiss, connector issues just stiff and unwieldy to manage on set up & break down, sorry, but not for me. Planet Waves does a decent job, still a bit stiff but nary a sound of a hiss or connector problem.I think those are about as average as I would like. The others are easier to wind, store and rely on, of course YMMV
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 19, 2010, 03:59:46 PM
Well, I tried to indicate that there's a difference between junky stuff that merely works and items of quality but like you say there's a lot of hoodoo involved. I look at it this way. Show me the worst of the best. I want to shake hands with the world's shortest, tall man. I want to meet the homliest, pretty girl in the crowd. I want to be the world's best, not very good guitar player! :wacko:
:roll   :bowdown:
The world's best, not very good guitar player!
May actually be me!   :guitar
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden