Anyone Try Grover Open Back Tuners on Parlor?

Started by zpcm04, August 17, 2010, 09:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still enjoying my recently acquired P-03R, but just don't like the tight feel of the stock Ping mini's.  Since the parlor has something of a vintage look already, was wondering about going with the Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners.  I know that the mounting holes will have to be drilled, but was not sure about post size and such.  Could not find specs on the stock Pings.

Anyone try the Grovers.  If so, comments? Pictures?

Thanks,
Philip

Give Jim HOLLER at Trinity Guitars a call he changed out a bunch for our 00 Forum IV's from mini to Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners. They are flawless :bowdown:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I put Waverly's on an L and I will put them on every guitar I get from now on.....

On a side note, Schaller mini's are a drop in replacement for the Pings

I agree with Walkerman that the Waverlies are about the best open gear tuners around.  However, they are very pricey.  If you have the money for them they are terrific.   Grover Sta-tites are much more affordable and work very well.  I replaced the stock mini-pings on my Forum III with the Grovers about 8 months ago.     Yes you will need to drill new mounting holes;  the new tuner backs will cover the old holes.  Also, you will need to order the correct bushings since the post hole is different size.   These do not mount and attach the same way the Pings do. 

Check out StewMac  as a good source for both Waverlies and Grovers.   They have all the parts you will need.

Tuffy......agreed that the Waverly's are a bit pricey.  However....I keep my guitars for life, then they will go to my sons...who are also guitar players....so, divide the cost by the number of years we'll have the guitars, and the cost is negligible.  Moreover, we'll have the best tuners out there.  To me, the Waverly's are just so precise.

Everyone,
Thanks for your input.

JOYCEfromNS, sent an email to Jim H.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Walkerman, I don't doubt that you are right (man, they look great on your L).  However, I fear being spoiled by them and feeling like I have to upgrade my other two guitars. :roll

Tuffy, thanks for the installation info.  So do I understand correctly that the Grover post has a smaller outer diameter than the Ping, so no need to fill old headstock holes and re-drill, just press in bushing and good to go?

Philip

Quote from: Walkerman on August 17, 2010, 01:29:05 PM
Tuffy......agreed that the Waverly's are a bit pricey.  However....I keep my guitars for life, then they will go to my sons...who are also guitar players....so, divide the cost by the number of years we'll have the guitars, and the cost is negligible.  Moreover, we'll have the best tuners out there.  To me, the Waverly's are just so precise.

Yes that maybe so BUT I thought the option for the removal of the Mini's to an open back style was thought to be too invasive for the Waverly's compared to the Grovers. Anyway I'm sure that was commented on the Forum IV thread and this is what influenced me to the Grovers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: zpcm04 on August 17, 2010, 02:00:28 PM

Tuffy, thanks for the installation info.  So do I understand correctly that the Grover post has a smaller outer diameter than the Ping, so no need to fill old headstock holes and re-drill, just press in bushing and good to go?

Philip

Yeah, that's pretty much all there is to it.   If you've contacted Jim Holler I'm sure he can shed more light on this for you.  He can tell you which bushings to order:  I've misplaced my invoice from StewMac so I'm not sure which size I used; there are a couple of different sizes.    Press in the bushing from the front of the headstock and insert the post from the rear and drill your holes.   Pretty simple.

Walkerman, I would have used the Waverlies too but I ordered my Sta-tites right before Christmas and money was a consideration at the time.   Hopefully they will last a good long time and I won't regret buying the less expensive Grovers.   I sure like the 18:1  gear ratio on the StaTites.  Fine tuning is so much easier.

I have Staytites on my OM19, Waverleys on my customshop Martin, & Gotoh 510's on my Webber Roundbody.. all are really great tuners in my experience, and i have not had any issues with any of them (yet)

The 510's are probbaly the best in terms of "feel" but all of them work well

The worst tuners i have are on my 1893 parlor... they have kept the little dear just slightly out of tune for 116 + years now....  but they do have well worn Elephant Ivory buttons...

;-0

d/

A friend just ordered a set of Grover Sta-Tites for his Martin.  Think I will check them out before I final my decision.

dermot, Are your Gotoh 510's the open or closed body?

Oh, forgot to ask.

Those of you that went with the Grove Sta-Tites, did you find them to be a functional upgrade from the Pings (or do they just look better)?

More than just a cosmetic upgrade.    The Grover StaTites have an 18:1 gear ratio so it's easier to get exact pitch tuned.
They are also super smooth.

Quote from: zpcm04 on August 18, 2010, 06:26:00 PM
Oh, forgot to ask.

Those of you that went with the Grove Sta-Tites, did you find them to be a functional upgrade from the Pings (or do they just look better)?

Just about ANY tuner with a brand name on it is a functional upgrade from the mini-Pings.  Even the base model Grover mini-s on my Guild 12-string are better than the mini-Pings on my parlor and Larrivee 12.

Philip

Your P-03 would look pretty much like this with the Grovers.   

For comparison purposes since you've seen the Waverlies that Walkerman posted....    I think they both look great and they add a nice vintage touch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tuffy, Thanks for the pictures.  Yours look really nice.  I really like the look of the open backs.

I have read that Gotoh has an open backed 510 tuner, but they seem to have a limited availability.  I have also read that they compare in quality and smoothness with the Waverlys.  Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I've got the Grover Sta-Tites on one of my guitars and I love them.  I put Waverly's on one of my guitars too.  The only difference I noticed was that the Waverly's set me back an extra $150.  Who knows, maybe in 200 years the Waverly's will still work well and the Sta-Tites won't...but I really don't care.  They cost 3-4 times as much and I could not tell the difference in quality or performance.  W's are guarantied for life.  If you buy Lexus over Toyota, go Waverly.  If you like Toyota, go Grover.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: zpcm04 on August 18, 2010, 10:18:10 AM
A friend just ordered a set of Grover Sta-Tites for his Martin.  Think I will check them out before I final my decision.

dermot, Are your Gotoh 510's the open or closed body?

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back.. real life got in the way again...

The 510's i have on the Webber are closed
&
i do feel the Grover's on the OM19 are a more accurate tuner than the Ping's they replaced.

Hope that helps!

d/

Daniel Roberts used to develop the Sta-tites for Santa Cruz GC during the time he worked for them, and that is all he uses on his custom guitars. The ones on Santa Cruz guitars have their own logo though.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure