How to saw thin rosewood without chipping?

Started by frankhond, August 16, 2010, 03:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm about to saw a thin piece of rosewood from Stewmac (actually it's a headplate that I'll cover a hole with) but before I do that - what is a good technique to avoid chipping and splintering? I would really like this to be a clean and nice cut.

You should have good success if you use a very fine razor saw or veneer saw.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

For real fine cutting I use a Japanese saw file. They are amazingly sharp and can cut so thin a line. I have not used it for anything very large though. Still it may help to have one for some of the fine details.

Jim at Trinity or maybe unclrob would be the guys to ask, but I know that when I want to reduce end cut fall out I will tape over the wood I'm cutting, sticking blue tape to both sides of the wood, and cut through the tape.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Dale said it all,well almost.Depending on the thickness of the veneer most of the time I use a diamond crusted jeweler's saw.Make sure is secure to another piece of wood that is clamped down so it won't wiggle with the cut line close to the edge of the piece of wood.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Clamp another piece of wood beneath it and cut both at the same time if you want to use a bandsaw.

Great advice, many thanks to you all. Looks like I have to make a trip to a toolshop.

If it's a headplate overlay, your applying to headstock, and want to trim flush? Do I have that right..?

I'd flush rout it with a laminate router.
www.rakeandsplay.com

00-03 Special Edition

Quote from: brazil66 on August 18, 2010, 06:08:21 PM
If it's a headplate overlay, your applying to headstock, and want to trim flush? Do I have that right..?

I'd flush rout it with a laminate router.

I'm using part of the headplate to cover the barndoor hole in the side of my guitar (temporarily removed electronics). Thanks for the advice though, I haven't thought of looking at routers, and since I'm about to get some tools, this is now on my to-check list.