Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new Larrivee RS-4 (four of them) for sale @ Sam Ash in NYC for $xxxxxxeach  (Read 5612 times)
interiorfarmer

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Walked into Sam Ash in NYC and saw five RS 4s - all for $xxxxxx. Could not believe it. All brand new. I asked the manager about the price and he simply said they were just not selling and he had to move them. I saw a beautiful rootbeer burst with P 90s. Played it and loved it. Decided to sleep on whether to buy it (stupid move) and when I came back the next day it was sold.

As of yesterday they had four left - all humbuckers.

Just passing this along as a public service announcement! I have no affiliation with Sam Ash. . .

It's too bad these guitars have not caught on. I'm sure a number of factors contributed to it, but lack of quality and value are not part of the equation. Everyone who has played one of these knows that they are incredible.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   That is incredible I would have taken ALL 4 rolleye  Sam ASH gotta be losing on that as no way Larrivee could make those for that price.

The silver lining I guess is 4 more will get out there and be experienced thus a better chance for them to catch on!!!!

Shocking really

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   A local guy has a sunbust RS4 for sale for a grand. I've been thinking about buying it...although I really don't have a need for a 'lectric guitar anymore. I was wondering if I could flip it...but if new ones are selling for a grand it would be hard to sell a used one for the same money.....

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Have you heard about the state of the economy? Two things I wouldn't want to be selling these days. Musical equipment and "art".

*Note. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth or sleep on a deal like that.  
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Is there any way to know if any of those Sam Ash discounted guitars are lefties ?     Uhh...   just asking.  whistling
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars  
Is there any way to know if any of those Sam Ash discounted guitars are lefties ?     Uhh...   just asking.  whistling

Tuffy, you don't want to know (...and neither do I...)  rolleye

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
interiorfarmer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:47:05 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No lefties!

As of this afternoon , the four are still there, waiting for a home.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   These aren't just an amazing deal at that price, they're an amazing STEAL at that price!

Signed,

A very satisfied RS-4 owner

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
interiorfarmer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   One of the things I wondered about when I saw these guitars at that price and heard from the store manager that they were just not selling was how ineffective Larrivee has been at marketing their electric guitars. I have to think about Taylor and Collings electric lines being launched and marketed much better. Larrivee does not even have information about the RS-2 on its web site.

This is a real shame, as I think these Larrivee electrics are superb guitars. It is a crowded market out there and the economy does suck, but that's more reason to do better marketing.

I think the edge that Larrivee has over some other makers is that it is trying to recreate a vintage vibe in a modern guitar - and at an excellent price point.  I read the posts on this forum and I think there is a lot of wisdom here that could be tapped for a more effective marketing strategy.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. . .
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Sama Ash is no longer an official Larrivee dealer, so this may be a way to move out their stock.  Or maybe they are continuing as a 'stealth' dealr? Don't see how they can do business at those prices whistling

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars  
One of the things I wondered about when I saw these guitars at that price and heard from the store manager that they were just not selling was how ineffective Larrivee has been at marketing their electric guitars. I have to think about Taylor and Collings electric lines being launched and marketed much better. Larrivee does not even have information about the RS-2 on its web site.

This is a real shame, as I think these Larrivee electrics are superb guitars. It is a crowded market out there and the economy does suck, but that's more reason to do better marketing.

I think the edge that Larrivee has over some other makers is that it is trying to recreate a vintage vibe in a modern guitar - and at an excellent price point.  I read the posts on this forum and I think there is a lot of wisdom here that could be tapped for a more effective marketing strategy.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. . .

A worthy 2 cents IMHO. You nailed it!!! Larrivee electric line certainly needs a Marketing strategy, it's their weak link I've been "preaching" for over a year

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »

Walked into Sam Ash in NYC and saw five RS 4s - all for $999. Could not believe it. All brand new. I asked the manager about the price and he simply said they were just not selling and he had to move them. I saw a beautiful rootbeer burst with P 90s. Played it and loved it. Decided to sleep on whether to buy it (stupid move) and when I came back the next day it was sold.

As of yesterday they had four left - all humbuckers.

Just passing this along as a public service announcement! I have no affiliation with Sam Ash. . .

It's too bad these guitars have not caught on. I'm sure a number of factors contributed to it, but lack of quality and value are not part of the equation. Everyone who has played one of these knows that they are incredible.

If I lived in NYC, I'd RUN to that store and offer 800 each for all 4.  See if they bite or get a counter offer...and, I'd have cash in hand.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »

If I lived in NYC, I'd RUN to that store and offer 800 each for all 4.  See if they bite or get a counter offer...and, I'd have cash in hand.

I would try same BUT either way I would be walking out the door WITH ALL FOUR!!!!!!!!!  

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Just called a local Sam Ash (California)....she said that the only RS-4's available are at the New York store...but, they could get it shipped to their local store at the same price.....probably any Sam Ash could do the same
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Larrivée dealers follow a MAP policy.  Because of this, please refrain from posting prices that you paid or quotes you received from dealers.  This serves to protect both dealers and consumers.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars    No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars   Larrivée dealers follow a MAP policy.  Because of this, please refrain from posting prices that you paid or quotes you received from dealers.  This serves to protect both dealers and consumers.

Sam Ash is NOT a dealer anymore.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »

Sam Ash, while not an authorized Larrivee dealer any more, is very much a dealer and these guitars are new.
The price was removed in deference to Larrivee authorized dealers, Jean Larrivee's good customers.
Rule # 3 reads as follows:
3.  No Pricing Discussions on New Guitars - Larrivée dealers follow a MAP policy.  Because of this, please refrain from posting prices that you paid or quotes you received from dealers.  This serves to protect both dealers and consumers.

(Larrivee Forum Rules are found here.)
I didn't write them, but I try to interpret them as best I can and encourage members to adhere to them.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »

Queequeg,

No problem from me - sometimes we forget the forum rules in our exhuberance for all things Larrivee around here!

Thanks for the reminder. 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
interiorfarmer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »

As the original poster, I actually read the rules before I mentioned this deal. Obviously, did not read them carefully enough - especially since the policy is there in black and white.

But a question - I see how this policy protects the dealer, but how does it protect the consumer?
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »

As the original poster, I actually read the rules before I mentioned this deal. Obviously, did not read them carefully enough - especially since the policy is there in black and white.

But a question - I see how this policy protects the dealer, but how does it protect the consumer?
That's OK. It's good to review the rules occasionally, I reckon.
As I said, I didn't write these rules, I'm just a mod, but I'll take a stab at it, if you'll indulge me. In this particular instance, it appears to be to some advantage for the authorized Larrivee dealer who will stand behind the product and handle warranty issues. I can't even guess how Sam Ash is handling after-the-sale "issues", or if these guitars even carry the Larrivee warranty. Maybe they do/maybe they don't. I just don't know.
Clearly, there is an advantage to buying from an authorized Larrivee dealer who has an ongoing business relationship with Larrivee.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: