6 String Lap Steel

Started by ducktrapper, August 13, 2010, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought a Joe Morrell six string lap steel the other day. It's a lot like the old Fender lap steels. Anyone spend much time with one of these? What tuning do you prefer? So far open E is where I've been going. Any good advice? What do you prefer for a slide? I'm using a bottle neck right now but would like to get a proper "steel" slide.  

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31G4FS9Z2EL._SS500_.jpg  

Hey, wait a second! He's  not using one!

I have the same lap steel as you.Low to high.
Try:C6-C,E,G,A,C,E
Open G-D,G,D,G,B,D
Open D-D,A,D,F#,A,D

I use an old style bullet bar.Have fun I'm enjoying C6 right now.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on August 13, 2010, 01:54:27 PM
I have the same lap steel as you.Low to high.
Try:C6-C,E,G,A,C,E
Open G-D,G,D,G,B,D
Open D-D,A,D,F#,A,D

I use an old style bullet bar.Have fun I'm enjoying C6 right now.

I don't use a lap steel but I spend a fair amount of time playing slide on an acoustic 6 string.  Open E is good for a lot of tunes but I usually am in open G or, if I'm wanting to do some Elmore James tunes, I tune to open D.   Never tried Unclrob's C6 tuning.

I generally keep my tele tuned to open G for slide and blues. I'm reluctant to tune regular guitars to open E which is why I got this baby but I'm interested in these 6th tunings, as well.   

To save your neck on a standard guitar tune it to open D and capo 2 frets and valah you in open E.Also the tuning refereed to as Vespol is the guitar tune down to Eflat then tuned to an open E,just a half step down.I hate tuning up.
The C6 tuning is based on the the old 20's and 30's slackey tuning for Hawaiian tuning.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I have four lap steels and I play all of them badly.

C6 tuning will give you that real Hawaiian and/or C&W sound and it's fun to fool around with, but I find I'm much more comfortable in "Vestapol" (open D or E) or "Spanish" (open G or A) tuning. I was experimenting for a while with a modified Vestapol dominant 7th tuning, and that was fun too for countryish stuff. 

You can learn "Sleepwalk" in open E, and that will impress people!

If you go to the Steel Guitar Forum, there's a special area for lap steels, and the people there are really knowledgeable. 

Playing lap steel made me realize that playing pedal steel would be completely beyond me.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I've been gathering a bunch of stringed and other instruments to play badly. I'm hoping to retire next June and the good lord willing, spend many years improving. If I ever get around to my fiddle, there'll be heck to pay!
I use lots of D tunings, drop D, open D, DADGAD but the keening power of open E is what I like the best. With lots of dirt! My ideal would be David Lindley on those early Jackson Browne albums.   

I get the impression that C6 is easier to work with on an 8-string steel.  (I have one of those, an old Framus, but I pretty much gave up on it.  I have enough trouble getting 6 strings to do what I want.)
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

On an 8 string theres an expanded tuning but I don't remember it.I tried peddle steel for a short period of time my first was a Fender 8 with one knee lever and 2 peddle's I did ok with it and thought I should go the next step.Really stupid move,I got a Sho Bud S10 3 peddle's 2 knee's and just couldn't  get.Too many things going on exspecially when you add in the volumn peddle.You need to be almost a drummer left foot push's down peddle's and the left knee got a lever the right foot had the volumn control and the right knee got another knee lever.THEN you had to control the slide and finger pick :wacko:.Let alone working in a tuning with 10 strings :arrow.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on August 13, 2010, 10:21:24 PM
On an 8 string theres an expanded tuning but I don't remember it.I tried peddle steel for a short period of time my first was a Fender 8 with one knee lever and 2 peddle's I did ok with it and thought I should go the next step.Really stupid move,I got a Sho Bud S10 3 peddle's 2 knee's and just couldn't  get.Too many things going on exspecially when you add in the volumn peddle.You need to be almost a drummer left foot push's down peddle's and the left knee got a lever the right foot had the volumn control and the right knee got another knee lever.THEN you had to control the slide and finger pick :wacko:.Let alone working in a tuning with 10 strings :arrow.

I tried one once. Yikes! I'm collecting different instruments for my studio but a pedal steel won't be one of them unless someone lays one on me. Funny you should mention it though, the only steel player I know is also a good drummer. Anyway, the fiddle is imposing and frustrating enough.

Its ironic I own a violin and I can fix anything that can go wrong with them but I can't play a tune.I can get a note here and there but can't play the darn thing.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on August 14, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
Its ironic I own a violin and I can fix anything that can go wrong with them but I can't play a tune.I can get a note here and there but can't play the darn thing.

I hear you there, brother. Can't get the hang of the bow. I can fingerpick it though. Ha ha. Actually, I pulled it out recently and maybe since it's sat for so long unplayed, I couldn't get those dang friction style tuners to stay put. Do you rosin those up, as well?   

I do rosin the tuners just a little.Make sure you don't tighten the bow too much and don't over rosin it either.I do know a lite touch with the bow is the best way to start.Trying learn violin is the reason I took up the mando.You'd think that since there sorta related it be a breeze to transfer the info to the violin.I think the problem is that you have to look sideways is the hole problem with playing the violin,I have no trouble getting a tune though badly out of my cello.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks for the fiddle tips. Went out this morning and bought this slide. Dunlop 925. Expensive little bugger. I had to try two places. Not a lot to choose from.

I have a few of the Stevens version.Wish I knew that you needed one I could have sent one to ya.Maybe next time.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on August 14, 2010, 10:51:40 PM
I have a few of the Stevens version.Wish I knew that you needed one I could have sent one to ya.Maybe next time.

Very kind of you to offer but I have this problem with patience when it comes to certain things.  :smile:

Duck, you should pick up a bullet bar too, just to compare the two types.  I use both, and I find they have subtly different sounds.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

The bullet bars are cool also because you can use the tip to do single note runs without barring the other strings.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks