Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Popping Out Peg Heads  (Read 998 times)
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2003, 04:10:32 PM »

I did my first string change on the OM last night, and had a heck of a time keeping the peg heads in. They kept wanting to pop out. I've never had this problem with any other guitar. Once I got them in and tuned, they seemed to stay in ok, but it makes me nervous. Anyone else have this problem?

P.S. I have been humidifying guitar since it arrived, since Northern Wyoming is very dry, so I don't think dryness/shrinkage is the problem...

Deb :o  

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
dr461

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 04:17:33 PM »

I have often had this with my Martin D-18.  It seems as if the strings often have a mind of their own, and "pop" when it is least expedient.  What I do is to put the pin in part way, remove the slack, and then seat the pin fully.  I gradually increase tension on the string, and the pins seem to seat more naturally, rather than forcing them in.  The Larrivees and the Taylors don't seem to do what you describe in my experience, but the Martin does it all the time.  I have the opposite problem here---in Florida in the Fall/Winter, with the A/C off it tends to be humid.

Love those fine guitars:
Larrivee L-05
Martin D-18 (1947)

Taylor 610

Gibson S.G. '61 reissue
Clapton Strat
Ovation Balladeer
 Martin SPD 16 K2
Gretsch Historic Series Sychromatic Slim-Jim
Martin D-41 special[b
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 10:13:19 PM »

I bend the string at the ball so when the string pin goes in it pushes the ball out of the then a lite tug while holding the pin does it

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 10:42:39 PM »

Thanks! I'll try that next time. This time I just held in the pin as I tightened the string. Eventually they stayed put.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
JonesKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 06:30:04 AM »

Definitely bend the string "forward (toward the soundhole)" at the ball end so that the ball end rests against the bridge plate underneath. If it's done correctly, it'll be the string tension, NOT the bridge pin itself, that'll keep the string in place. The benefits are better sustain and solid tuning.

Vaya con Dios,
JonesKY
Ac & El Guitar
sully

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »

Yup, you shouldn't need to push the pin down hard at all. In fact, pushing really hard could damage the guitar. As others have said, you need to seat the ball end of the string properly, then that holds the pin in place. The key is, the ball end should be beside the pin, not under the end of the pin. Here's the best picture I've seen of it so far. (I apologize about the TAY@@@ source). http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/s...ring_guitar.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: