neck reset in Philly

Started by docrach1, August 11, 2010, 01:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys, I could use a little help.  I have a 93 L-10 custom that I believe needs a neck repair.  I am new to the Philadelphia area and wondered if any of my fellow Larry lovers have used someone here they would trust with this top notch guit. As you can all understand I am a bit picky about who touches this guitar.  Thanks for the help.    :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2

If it does need a neck reset you might want to contact Larrivee as they may have someone that they think highly of to do the job local or they may do it for you for a fee.Theres a quik way to see if the neck is out of angle,take a stiff straight edge at least 18 inch's long place it in the middle of the fingerboard.Slide it up to the bridge if the bottom is lower then the top of bridge you may need a neck set.If it sits on the top of the bridge then it may be something else going on.Let me know what your results are and as always please feel free to call.Also I know its a pain in the butt but you might want to skim thru the posted repairperson in the sticky at the top of this page.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Uncle Rob,  When I said might I pretty much meant does.  An 18 in rule goes well below the bridge.  The saddle is down as far as it can be but the bass E is close to 1/8 in at the 12 fret.  The neck has a good relief. I bought this guit for all fingerstyle playing and as you can imagine it does not fill the bill now.  It has a fine sound and I would like to get the neck perfect.  docrach1

Don't blame you there.Have you talked to any other locals they may know someone.I'd still try and contact Larrivee thru a dealer,I'm sure they would like to check it out and see what caused the neck to fail.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I did write to Larrivee.  They said they would look at the guit but as I am the second owner it would not be under warranty.  They advised I seek out a local luthier to evaluate the problem.  I am in upstate New York just now and my guy ( who does Martin work ) does not want to do a Larry neck job.  I'll be in Philly for a little while so I thought I'd check out the luthiers around here. I would prefer not to mail it if I could as I cringe every time I give up a good guit to any of the delivery services. (I am always reminded of the Epi guitar I bought for my son that arrived with a hole in the box the size of an orange that went through the box, the case and the lower bout of the guitar. I know insurance covers it but you can't replace 17 years of beautiful aging.) docrach1

You might try the http://www.guitarparlor.net/ they are located north of the city. Hope this helps. :cheers
Larrivee L-03W
Gibson ES-135
Fender 68' MIJ Reissued Strat
Sigma Martin DM-3Y