OMV-10KK - Koa I couldn't just leave it there - warning - graphic content

Started by ST, August 07, 2010, 07:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walked into a guitar store today to exchange a defective cable and walked out with this.

The story is that this is one of a run of 10 from 2000.

They thought it was an L but as soon as I picked it up I knew it was an LS something smaller. I thought it was an LS

The measurements are exactly the same as my LS-05 except that it has the cutaway.

The scale length is 25.5"

Nut is 1 3/4"

Oh yeah - and it's Koa.

I couldn't just leave it there now could I?

edit: - maybe it's not an LS???
edit: - now confirmed - started November 22, 1999 this is an OMV-10KK with Anna on the headstock and vine inlay

Oh my goodness. What an amazing find. Congratulations!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

MY.

OH.

MY...

...and it's an OMV body, not an LSV...they didn't start making the LSV until a couple years ago.

But

:nice guitar:  :nice guitar:  :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Kinda plain, dontcha think?  :roll

What a beautiful guitar! Congrats!!

Cheers,

S
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Hi Mikeymac,

The upper bout is just barely over 11 inches. I think the OMs are 11.75
Except for the cutaway it is almost identical to my LS.  Strange though - it is just a tiny bit to big to fit in the LS case. We're talking just a little bit.

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 07, 2010, 08:02:24 PM

...and it's an OMV body, not an LSV...they didn't start making the LSV until a couple years ago.

But

I'm puzzled because I thought the OM models had an upper bout of 11 3/4.

Anyway I'll send the serial number off to Larrivée and see what they say.

Some others will pipe in, but it has the 'sharper' or more angular curves of an OM rather than an LS, which has much rounder shoulders (like an L, of course).

Does the tag inside say LS or LSV on it? I'm almost certain that's an OM body with a venetian cutaway, hence an OMV. 
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 07, 2010, 08:22:26 PM
Some others will pipe in, but it has the 'sharper' or more angular curves of an OM rather than an LS, which has much rounder shoulders (like an L, of course).

Does the tag inside say LS or LSV on it? I'm almost certain that's an OM body with a venetian cutaway, hence an OMV. 

No model number on the tag.

More pictures - better shots of the body.

No model number on the tag.

I've got to learn how to photograph guitars. These gloss finishes are tough.

Hi Lynda (lyric girl),

Quote from: lyric_girl on August 07, 2010, 08:01:30 PM
Oh my goodness. What an amazing find. Congratulations!

The story I got was there was a run of ten Koa like this in 2000.  Two of each body style and the twins got different headstocks. I think I got that right.

Anyway, this one is right at home with the one in my signature. Oh Oh - maybe I have to edit my signature now.

Stunning!

like WOW stunning....

I'm betting it's a OMV tho... your first OM, and a very nice place to start....

d/

Hi Dermot,

I was never partial to the OM shape. I felt that the upper bout we a little to broad in the shoulders for me but maybe I'm distracted by the vertical striping of the Koa.

Here's proof that two heads are better than one.

Quote from: ST on August 07, 2010, 09:01:13 PM
I was never partial to the OM shape. I felt that the upper bout we a little to broad in the shoulders for me but maybe I'm distracted by the vertical striping of the Koa.
Just distracted by the shear blinding beauty... the sum of the parts  is amazing...

I never liked the look of OM's either, but i made an exception for my OM19...

How's it sound?
Any pick-up in it (yet)?
Are you bringing it over to the North Shore next week?
So many questions...
;-)

d/

Hi Mikeymac,

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 07, 2010, 08:02:24 PM

But

Just got off the phone with Dermot. I think you're right - this is probably an OM.

I never thought I'd own an OM - but it was impossible to play this and not take it home.

That's beautiful! Thanks for showing us. I'm glad I didn't see it, I just may have had to stoop to thievery.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Gadzooks  !!!!!!!  

Just the thing for playing some slack key...   :ohmy:  I particularly like the way that koa was used in the headstock inlay.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Geezum.....well, I think I'll go in and exchange a defective cable too now.  :arrow
www.rakeandsplay.com

00-03 Special Edition

Holy Cow.
Simply lovely.  :nice guitar:
One of Wendy's best headstocks, IMHO. (yeah, I know we're not supposed to say that any more.)
2000, huh? So is that NOS or used?

(BTW, did you remember to exchange your defective cable?)

Hi Queequeg

Quote from: Queequeg on August 08, 2010, 10:22:39 AM
Holy Cow.
Simply lovely.  :nice guitar:
2000, huh?

One of Wendy's best headstocks, IMHO. (yeah, I know we're not supposed to say that any more.)
So is that NOS or used?

(BTW, did you remember to exchange your defective cable?)

Yes, the store cheerfully exchange the defective cable for a new one.

Used but apparently rarely played. zero fret wear that I can see.

yeah, I know we're not supposed to say that any more - what's that about?

There was a 2000 Larrivée catalog in the case. This inlay was one of six new inlays introduced in 2000.

It's called Anna.

Here is what it said in the catalogue.

Traditionally, our inlays have been designed to fit within the silver border that traces the perimeter of the headstock. This is one aspect of the art that differentiates us from many other guitar makers. This year, we're adding yet another twist to the concept with the creation of a limited edition, decorative Vine & Lattice design that will in turn encircle the headstock inlays.

I found the photo below at: http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/inlays/headstockInlays.html

[attachment deleted by admin]