Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMV-10KK - Koa I couldn't just leave it there - warning - graphic content  (Read 16819 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »

Here is a photo of the Vine inlay from http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/inlays/fretboardInlays.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »

Yeah, looks like an OM size to me.

How about a full description of the sound?  My first thought would be a "bright" tone. 

It must have grabbed you by the ----- throat and wouldn't let go!   

Play it daily for best results.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »

Hi Dermot,

Just distracted by the shear blinding beauty... the sum of the parts  is amazing...

I never liked the look of OM's either, but i made an exception for my OM19...

How's it sound?
Any pick-up in it (yet)?
Are you bringing it over to the North Shore next week?
So many questions...
;-)

d/

There is no pickup in it so I took a headset microphone that I wasn't using

and bent it so that it hooked under the brace just under the end of the neck. Then it swings up under the strings.

From the front it almost disappears.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »

ST- what an example of Wendy Eye-Candy!! Plus, the Koa is just amazing!! I was comparing the size, which is hard to do unless all is scaled the same, to my OM & LS pics. Almost looks more like an LS, but also like an OM? Stopped the LS in '00, is that correct? Would make sense that this might be one of the last until recently?
   Couldn't happen to a better guy. No mention of about how many peanuts you paid out for it. Feel comfortable giving us a hint?
   Here's 2 pics that are pretty similar in size & format. You decide which is closer? An '08 OM-05 & an F-III (LS). Any help? nice guitar
     Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »

Hi Prof Stack

I just whipped this off with a little youtube camera.
A Cry Out for Love (instrumental version)

Click the picture to see the video. Headphones recommended.

My hands are really sloppy right now because I've over-played them for the last 24 hours. But enough excuses - I just wanted to give you folks an idea of how it sounds - both acoustically and then with a little amplification.

First minute or so is unamplified.
After a minute I turned on the microphone (you will hear the volume go up a little after the harmonic hit rings for a bit).

It doesn't sound much louder (auto gain control in the camera) but I would be comfortable playing at that level in a room - maybe 1000 square feet.   The microphone is that little beige (alien like) thing in the sound hole.  This is running to a Bose T1® and then Model II. No effects.

The weakest link is the camera. It's one of those mini youtube cameras.

--== click the picture to see it in context ==--

Picked this up on sale for about $100 CDN a few weeks ago.

Yeah, looks like an OM size to me.

How about a full description of the sound?  My first thought would be a "bright" tone.  

It must have grabbed you by the ----- throat and wouldn't let go!  

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

ST- what an example of Wendy Eye-Candy!! Plus, the Koa is just amazing!! I was comparing the size, which is hard to do unless all is scaled the same, to my OM & LS pics. Almost looks more like an LS, but also like an OM? Stopped the LS in '00, is that correct? Would make sense that this might be one of the last until recently?
   Couldn't happen to a better guy. No mention of about how many peanuts you paid out for it. Feel comfortable giving us a hint?
   Here's 2 pics that are pretty similar in size & format. You decide which is closer? An '08 OM-05 & an F-III (LS). Any help? nice guitar
     Jeff

Thanks for the pictures. It's really hard tell because I shot all my pictures slightly off-angle trying to avoid the flash flare.

I may have measured the upper bout incorrectly. I measured it at the widest point and got just a little over 11 inches. The OMs are supposed to be 11 3/4.  But the cutaway ends just below what would be the widest part of the treble side of the upper bout. So maybe if this was a non-cutaway then it would be wider. It's hard to tell.

There is a picture in the 2000 catalogue that shows where you measure the upper bout and it IS where I measured it. So I don't know. But for that matter, while I'd like to think it is an LS (because I know I like the LS body style) it really doesn't matter unless I have to describe it to someone and I suppose I can just do pictures.

The LS is still listed in the 2000 catalogue as being available through the custom-shop only.  And apparently this run of 10 guitars came out of the custom shop. Anyway - I've written to Larrivée and I'll let you know what they say.

Peanuts? Well, it's okay to ask, but I don't want to publically go on record admitting to how goofy my priorities are. And in a few weeks, after I record the number on the inventory list, I will have forgotten anyway.  

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »

In case anyone is wondering - strings on the video

In the video you are hearing brand new Elixer Phosphor Bronze 80/20 Light Mediums (.012 to.056).

I normally play 11-52 but they didn't have any in the store.

dermot

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »

First minute or so is unamplified.
After a minute I turned on the microphone (you will hear the volume go up a little after the harmonic hit rings for a bit).

Listening to it through my M-Audio nearfield speakers at work (yea i know it's Sunday)...

It sounds great, and much more pressence when the little mic is in the mix... to be expected i think?

My guess is - it's a keeper...

d
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Yah - that's a nice sounding shiny-bits glitzy box!   bigrin

Did you have Will Ackermann play in the video?      Good chops!

willguitar

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »

Now ALL my guitars look rather plain and no doubt will now sound that way too... Thanks a lot for posting this - not! I shouldn't have looked;  but you did warn us... 

Stunning piece. Gotta love Koa too.

Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 02:14:30 AM »

There were some LSV models made that were way before the LSV-11's. They come up once in a great while.
 Like a LSV-05.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »

Hi Prof Stack,

Yah - that's a nice sounding shiny-bits glitzy box!   bigrin

Did you have Will Ackermann play in the video?      Good chops!

Thanks for the compliment. I had never heard of Will Ackerman. Do you mean this Will Ackerman?

Whoa

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 02:29:30 AM »

Did a set at an open stage event this afternoon.  WOW!~

I used the little microphone  in the soundhole and it was fine - really fine actually. I had a quiet,  attentive audience.  I usually perform standing up but there's no end pin on the Koa so for my solo set I sat down on a bar stool with it.  I just got all rigged up to run wireless with a nice headset microphone and the microphone in the guitar works fine wireless too. So I just pulled the bar stool into the stage area, sat down and started playing and singing. What a difference - NOT to have a microphone and microphone stand in front of me.  That was really nice.

Anyway - back to the guitar. Several old guitar buddies were at the event this afternoon and the new guitar attracted compliments (and ooos and aaaaws) like an emotion magnet.

Just a techie note. I hadn't thought it through but the microphone in the guitar approach doesn't work very well when there are other amplified performers on the stage with me. The microphone picks up the others and things get muddy pretty quick. Fortunately I had brought along another guitar that has pickups in it, so that was fine for when I was accompanying others.

Fun afternoon.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 02:43:27 AM »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great playing and a Beautiful Guitar. Nice to see even great players have a passion for the bling!!!!!! Doesn't get nicer than that.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »

Hi Prof Stack,

Thanks for the compliment. I had never heard of Will Ackerman. Do you mean this Will Ackerman?

Whoa

Yep, that would be him.  I bought two of his albums (remember LP's, 12-inch platter, 33rpm?) in the 70's during my first incarnation as a guitar player.  Still got them somewhere.  He started Windham Hill Records.  Great mellow music.

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »

Wow - nice find ST. Congratulations!

Curious which store was harboring this treasure...and what's happening on the north shore next week?!

Mike
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:46 AM »

Thanks Mike.  

You know I was thinking about your Forum III but I just had feeling that something that suited me better (like something I could just pick up and play)  might be coming my way.

It was Long & McQuade on Terminal.

They took it in on trade a little while ago. I got the impression that it has just been there for couple of weeks. If you can picture their acoustic guitar room - imagine where the computer / cash register is. I had pulled down an LV to look at  from one of the high guitar holders in the main area where they keep the rentals.  I walked into the acoustic guitar room and handed it to the guy behind the counter because I didn't want to try to put it back up. I was afraid I would drop it.  I noticed that they still had a CA Cargo and I looked at that for a second, then I happened to glance WAAAAY up above the counter and I saw the Koa.  I could barely see the headstock but I thought I recognized the shape. I couldn't really see the inlay on the neck. The angle looking up was too steep.  I asked, "Is that a Larrivée?"

So the fellow brought it down so I could see it. He handed it to me, and that was it. I was done, baked, toast, hooked. It was weird because I don't tend to like dark tops and the vertical figuring wasn't all that appealing to me. But when I felt the neck I was half-way there. I think that the neck felt flatter than my other Larrivées. The neck profile is slightly more like a D than a C if that makes sense.

It was hard to hear in that room because there were people there going half-nuts crazy showing off how fast they could play. (Why do people do that in music stores?)  There were several people in the formal listening room so I just grabbed the guitar and wandered around with it cradled in my arms as I played it. There's no end pin on it so I just kind of tucked it under my arm and played.  

As much as I like the fancy stuff (and I do like fancy stuff), I would normally not have cared for the dark top, and aesthetically I have been challenged when it came to OMs, and I really prefer the sharp look of a Florentine cutaway (vs. Venetian).  But the guitar felt really good. Even though the strings were dead,   heavier gauge than I prefer,  there was more relief in the neck than I like, and the intonation was a little sharp (which made sense considering the relief) - I still liked it.  It felt good, It sounded good and shiny or not - I like the human figures that Larrivée had on the headstocks.  

The fellow said that it was an "L". I was certain that it was not. We talked about it for a bit and got into a discussion about how special it was.  I had several other errands to run yesterday but I was pretty sure I would be back for it. As I was leaving the fellow behind the counter rushed out to the parking lot and called to me across the lot as I was getting in the car. "So do you want me to hold it for you?"  I said, "Yes, I'll be back in an hour."  I ran off, did my errands and headed back.  On my way back I phoned and asked them to put new strings on it and to look at the relief. By the time I got there, they were re-stringing it. Half an hour after that - I was on my way home with it.  

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »

Sorry Mike, I missed this

Wow - nice find ST. Congratulations!

Curious which store was harboring this treasure...and what's happening on the north shore next week?!

Mike

Actually - the North Shore thing was the open stage event I mentioned a few posts up.

It's the second Sunday of the month, 3-6 pm
Royal Canadian Legion 118
123 West 15th Street
North Vancouver, BC, V7M 1R7

Lounge: 604-985-1115
Office: 604-988-3712

If you are thinking of going - call ahead to confirm that "the Jam is on".

It's hosted by an old buddy (Alan) and I like to go if I can to be supportive.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

I found these posts regarding LSV models;

" 2001 Larrivee LSV-05 Limited Edition - Only 100 Made" (in FOR SALE)

"If it is from 2001, then it is Poly." from Matthew Larrivee re: a 2001 LSV-05

So this could be an LSV.  Could someone copy and paste this for ST?

(I think he hit the ignore button on me a while back about a "cat in a case" blush)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

Hi Danny

I found these posts regarding LSV models;

" 2001 Larrivee LSV-05 Limited Edition - Only 100 Made" (in FOR SALE)

"If it is from 2001, then it is Poly." from Matthew Larrivee re: a 2001 LSV-05

So this could be an LSV.  Could someone copy and paste this for ST?

(I think he hit the ignore button on me a while back about a "cat in a case" blush)

Thanks for this - I can see you just fine!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: