Poll ended See new poll Poll: Forum V model Ideas

Started by cke, August 06, 2010, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would be your choice for the next Forum 'instrument'?

L
D
SD
Mandolin
RS 4
RS 2
Ukelele
O or P deep body
Classical (nylon)
Other (Specify)
12 string
Jumbo
thanks for the helpful feedback gtrplayer & Chris - comparing the OOO & FIII and OOO & LSV-11.

i have not changed my vote, it's still the OOO.

i'm concerned about the 1 13/16 nut width as my little fingers & hand really prefer the narrower 1 11/16

but I can get by / make do with 1 3/4 nut width, which is the majority of my guitars.

So I hope we can keep it at 1 3/4 nut width (and maybe if John L from the Vancouver factory is reading - perhaps make mine 1 11/16?)  :bgrin:

ricky

Why must Forum guitars all be -03s?
I'm staying away from the forum guitars until there is something that is truly special without all the downward price constraints on it.
Some of you saw those 00 Koas with the slothead & pyramid bridge, SHORT SCALE that were ordered by LA Guitar Sales (if I recall correctly). They were seen on the AGF.
That was truly a special guitar.
BTW, they custom-ordered five (5) of them.

OK. Here it is.

I hope the width would be 1 3/4" but I can handle the 1 11/16" or 1 13/16" just not the big 1 7/8" that's on the SD's.  I had an SD 50 that I had to sell because I couldn't play for more than 1/2 hour without my left hand cramping.  Could we have an option of pickguards?  I prefer clear or none but they could just put it in the case so it could be self-applied.
More than I deserve.

Quote from: Queequeg on August 07, 2010, 09:48:32 AM
Why must Forum guitars all be -03s?
I'm staying away from the forum guitars until there is something that is truly special without all the downward price constraints on it.
Some of you saw those 00 Koas with the slothead & pyramid bridge, SHORT SCALE that were ordered by LA Guitar Sales (if I recall correctly). They were seen on the AGF.
That was truly a special guitar.
BTW, they custom-ordered five (5) of them.

OK. Here it is.

Make the body a bit deeper and you got my attention.

Quote from: gtrplayer on August 07, 2010, 08:55:04 AM
  I've got a 000-50 (Sitka/Hog) and an LS Forum III (IS/Mahogany).  The 000-50 feels slightly bigger as it is half an inch deeper, larger overall and nut width of 1 13/16".  The biggest difference is the sound.  The 000-50 has it way over the LS IMO;  louder, more resonant, much more bass and sweeter sounding.

gtrplayer

Thanks.  I know the 000's are larger but I remember a post by Tuffy once that stated his F-III was very close to his 000-50MT in size.
                For some of us though a "bit larger" makes a "big difference". Shoulders and arm pain etc.
                            I would have a 000-50 if it were not for shoulder issues.

Quote from: dependan on August 07, 2010, 11:04:49 AM
  Make the body a bit deeper and you got my attention.

Dan,

Sounds like you're looking for something along the lines of a Santa Cruz H 13.  Nice guitar!

Let's say a Traditional 00-50 model, forward-shifted bracing, regular scale, deeper body, 12/13 frets to body, cutaway option and all that bling...now there's something I could get excited about.

gtrplayer

Someone else also voted for the D (finally) but they haven't fessed up yet in a post here...

My other choice (if I could vote twice) would be for a C-09 with rosewood body binding and the traditional rosette...maybe some other bling, but I can't think of much else it needs (that I can afford!!!). Maybe the headstock inlay like the 40th Anniversary model...

So many Larrivees, so little cash...  :wacko:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

After virtually playing every size Larrivee, the OO is probably the most comfortable. The LS, next in comfort, but no shoulder pain issues. My Martin OOO, the neck is sweet, but get a little shoulder discomfort still. Get by it, but the OO size is just perfect, & I'm a big guy. Love that size! A OOO as described below might work if the OO size isn't popular? :bgrin:
  I'd go for a koa with an IS top, having only played a koa, but never owning one. Going up to an -05 series would be interesting as far as cost & if there is a difference of only gloss & a little bling? The -03 series we have been getting are pretty much like an -05, but no gloss (esp. the F-IV). Would wean out the weak at heart? :?
  Those pics Danny posted sure look sweet! I could go for that, if the "price is right"? :thumb
    Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

If I were to "get in the market" it'd have to be a "D" or "SD" in the upper end trim, but with the dollar focus that is not a real likelyhood, then of course we seem to have a lot of pain issues for full size guitars. However the poll did at least include the "D" & "SD" so I'll add my .02. But I definitely would want a 09 trim, maybe a Maddi Rose or Black Walnut or Cocobolo, a stunner ya know?
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on August 07, 2010, 02:34:57 PM
If I were to "get in the market" it'd have to be a "D" or "SD" in the upper end trim, but with the dollar focus that is not a real likelyhood, then of course we seem to have a lot of pain issues for full size guitars. However the poll did at least include the "D" & "SD" so I'll add my .02. But I definitely would want a 09 trim, maybe a Maddi Rose or Black Walnut or Cocobolo, a stunner ya know?
I find it interesting that all the Forums have been mid-size (I used to think of a 00 as small, but it sounds bigger). Wonder why?

I would like an SD, a D with 1 3/4" nut, or a 000 with the 1 13/16" nut and its other unique specs. I am also open to alternative tone wood- walnut? Never played  Black Walnut or Cocobolo, so I don't know. As much as I love the -09 look, the bottom line price is going to factor in. What would be the up-charge for such woods? Anybody make an educated guess? I know Maddi Rose might add 1K.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I voted for a mandolin. I already have lots of guitars.

I've got 2 Forum guitars already and will not be hopping on the next bandwagon.  If I was to choose a new guitar though, a 12 fret mahogany/sitka L in a 12 string...John Jr or Matthew, if you're reading this...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE????

Sounds like what would please most of us is to re-open the custom shop!  :roll :humour: (or maybe not!)
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

D for me please. Satin finish. Cutaway. Minor soundhole and fret board bling to give it unique look. Did I say cutaway D body already? 1.75 nut. Adds up to a guitar they currently do not offer.

Cedar? OK. I had one. Liked it alot. Sounded nice when played with fingers. But not crucial. Some note seperation lost - says I. But warm, moody feel.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: rpm60912 on August 06, 2010, 11:44:03 PM
In light of the info from AZLiberty & Danny, as one who owns an FIII LSV-03R, if what I already have would be very close to the OOO & OM,
A deep body OO would really motivate me or unless Tuffy can educate us about the similarities and differences of his OOO and FIII, please?

ricky

Ricky
I doubt that I could educate anybody but I could share some opinions on
matter.   People often ask me why I have two hogtop guitars that are so similar in size;  it seems redundant.    However my LS-03MT (the Forum III) and my 000-50MT are more different than they are alike.     LS-03 has narrower nut and is slightly thinner;  smaller soundhole too.    The result is a guitar that is, to me, very articulate and focused.   It works well strummed but it stands out as a light to medium fingerpicker.   The 000-50, on the other hand is a totally different feeling and sounding guitar.  The wider neck lets me know right away which guitar I've got in my hands.  Larger soundhole and deeper body do make a difference. This guitar can sound, well, almost organ-like at times.  Big full sound that is not as focused or sharp as the FIII.       As usual I've made a mess of trying to describe guitar sound.  I hope this has been a little helpful.

Here's some pics for comparison of size and shape

T the P

pic 1 is 000-50MT and LS-03MT
pic 2 is 000-50Mt, LS-03MT, L-10, and OM-03R

[attachment deleted by admin]

I will second madocake - D, cutaway, 1.75" nut.  Would a 12-fret neck be too radical?  Kinda like the SD.  A number of folks have mentioned interest in a 1.75" dread.

Chas.

Quote from: tuffythepug on August 10, 2010, 01:33:52 AM
Ricky
I doubt that I could educate anybody but I could share some opinions on
matter.   People often ask me why I have two hogtop guitars that are so similar in size;  it seems redundant.    However my LS-03MT (the Forum III) and my 000-50MT are more different than they are alike.     LS-03 has narrower nut and is slightly thinner;  smaller soundhole too.    The result is a guitar that is, to me, very articulate and focused.   It works well strummed but it stands out as a light to medium fingerpicker.   The 000-50, on the other hand is a totally different feeling and sounding guitar.  The wider neck lets me know right away which guitar I've got in my hands.  Larger soundhole and deeper body do make a difference. This guitar can sound, well, almost organ-like at times.  Big full sound that is not as focused or sharp as the FIII.       As usual I've made a mess of trying to describe guitar sound.  I hope this has been a little helpful.

Here's some pics for comparison of size and shape

T the P

pic 1 is 000-50MT and LS-03MT
pic 2 is 000-50Mt, LS-03MT, L-10, and OM-03R

Thanks for this post Lynn. The pictures help a lot as well. The F-III and 000 look like the same model in a gloss and satin finish to me. Of course I do know the size of the 000 is larger in many respects.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks Lynn for attempting to explain the similarities & differences & for posting the pics. I hear you. It's tough to put into words the sound we hear from any guitar.

ricky

I want to change my vote.....I said 000.  But, looking at the Forum III I guess it does look much like an 000 already. 

I'm casting my vote for SD.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

my preference involves

short scale (between 24.5 and 25")
12-fret preferred but 14-fret great so long as it's a short-scale
no cutaway, conventional body only for me
no rosewood--maple, koa, hog all fine
000 or OM great
00 great, preferred with deep body but conventional ok too
deep-body 0 great

and on this issue [Why must Forum guitars all be -03s?], my two cents is that there is an economic Depression going on.  one of the purposes of the forum guitars are to order in bulk at a very nice price point.  if you want a high-end guitar, and fair play to you if you do, there are plenty of makers who would be delighted to take your individual order for a guitar made however you like. one of those makers is the larrivee factory.  there is a reason why those koa slotheads, nifty though they appear to be, are still available while the forum guitars flew, and it doesn't involve a quality issue with the koas (though, it is baffling why there don't seem to be sound clips of these guitars to be found somewhere)......

while i'd happily at least consider anything and everything in the parameters i listed, i guess my dream would be, a deep-body flamed maple 00 or 000, short-scale.  if people wanted that pete anderson-ish burst, so much the better, but i'd happily take conventional stain as well.  i like paddle heads, but would take a slothead too.

Well, for me..............I don't like all the finer appointments that the higher end Larrivee's have.  I've got enough money that I could plop down good hard cash even on the 10 series........but.......too much bling for me! 

I love the 03 line because of the simple appointments, satin finish (that can be buffed out into a softer finish). No bling........no abalony, not too much trim.  That is why I buy 03 line.  Of all the choices I can have (and I'm not limited due to finances), it is still 03 line.

If that is all they ever carried, I'd be a happy man still.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"