Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Young touring  (Read 3334 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

I actually liked Greendale. Saw it live too. But not for the lyrics. I like it for the backbeat from Crazy Horse and Neil's "sound" on guitar. "Bandit" (probably about his brother and the pot problems) is pretty good. But really I just like the way the songs maintain that steady beat with Neil's leads over top it all.

Renaldo and Clara.....

It's the high school drama festival quality of NY's theatrics that I don't care for. The music's okay. I own a full length copy of Renaldo and Clara and personally like it, for the most part, but I can't see why anyone else would.   
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »

It's the high school drama festival quality of NY's theatrics that I don't care for. The music's okay. I own a full length copy of Renaldo and Clara and personally like it, for the most part, but I can't see why anyone else would.   

I can't say it any better than that!

I always just figured he was being really subtle, you know. Neil's sideways humour.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

Anyone have the "Rust Never Sleeps" DVD recorded at Cow Palace Oct. 22 1978?  Great performance with Crazy Horse.  I just watched it again about a month ago.  Speaking of theatrics, didn't much care for the little hooded aliens he had running around on the stage, but the music and the sound is great.

I saw him only once live in Edmonton during his "Ragged Glory" tour with Crazy Horse.  I think it was in 1988 or 89.  Like in the DVD mentioned, the band stood in front of huge props that were replicas of amplifiers and mikes on stands.  No little aliens, thankfully.  I was blown away by the sound of the minimal equipment set up he used.  Just a couple of Gibsons played through a combo amp.  I think it was a Fender, but don't know what model.  In fact the whole band used fairly simple classic basic equipment.  Like unclrob, I try to emulate that sound at home in my basement.  I have a bandana from that concert that is hanging on the wall in my basement music room.

Probably the best concert I've been to.  (Except for Pink Floyd doing their "Umma Gumma" thing in 1971 in Regina Saskatchewan of all places!!!)

Neil is/was one of the main inspirations for some of the music I play.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

200 bucks a pop for close seats if you can get them? No thanks Neil. Had the pleasure of seeing him a few times, but at reasonable prices and in better times than these. That level of price in this economy is inexcusable. Even if every penny were going to some worthy cause, these prices are way out of line.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »

Anyone have the "Rust Never Sleeps" DVD recorded at Cow Palace Oct. 22 1978?  Great performance with Crazy Horse.  I just watched it again about a month ago.  Speaking of theatrics, didn't much care for the little hooded aliens he had running around on the stage, but the music and the sound is great.

Kurt

Ah, the road-eyes. Some kind of Star Wars, Ewok thing. I'm afraid I didn't get it.  Live Rust! Great music though.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:08 AM »

Yes, Road Eyes, that's what they were called.  I didn't get them either.  When I watch the DVD I hate waiting for them to do whatever they do.  I just want the next song to be played.

In the DVD package I have, there is an insertion which is a copy of what I guess is the script, (agenda or storyboard) for the concert.  It's hand-written on foolscap in what I assume is Neil's handwriting.  Kinda cool.  There is a column for the Road Eyes and what they are supposed to do for each number.

The liner notes on the back of the DVD case states that the production was chosen by Rolling Stone Magazine in 1987 as one of the greatest live performances of the last twenty years.

Keep on rocking in the free world.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

vaguerecollection

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »

The first time I saw NY was back in 1985 I think and Social Distortion opened for him, which BTW I have come to love SD over the years and they will be putting out a new CD soon.  Anyway, many moons ago I had a casset of NY with a song on it called "Mashed Potatoes".  I have since lost the casset. Anyone remember that tune? 

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:27 PM »

Ain't got no T-Bone from Hawks and Doves.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »

I was surprised a little while ago when I read that those albums never made to CD (until recently). Not sure who was the cause. I know Neil has a thing for DVD audio over CD - and basically prefers analogue to begin with ("I heard a perfect echo die/into a wall of digital sound"). Re-Ac-tor and Everybody's Rockin are indeed "off" albums - and they feature some of Neil's best/worst stuff like "T-Bone" and "Kinda Fonda Wonda". But Time Fades Away and On The Beach are not strangers. Time Fades Away followed Harvest and is important if only just for that. Neil wasn't going to stay in the middle of the road. And it's got "Don't Be Denied" - which is still played live.

On the Beach has "Walk On", "On the Beach", "For the Turnstiles" and, of course, "Ambulance Blues". Ambulance Blues has more quotable lines than I can give you here.  On The Beach is the sister album to Tonight's The Night. And Tonight's the Night is usually regarded as Neil highest AND lowest point - in typical Neil Young fashion - and therefore his best recording. Put it this way, it was recorded at his ranch over two or three days with a cast of characters and lots of boozing to all hours of the morning. Recorded live. No overdubs. The record company begged Neil to re-record it. Release was delayed for two years. And he did. But only some of it. The rest stands as-is. Out of key, out of voice, mistakes, fire crackles...wonderful stuff. Even a very, very young Nils Lofgren (currently with the E-Street Band) on "Speakin' Out". I've heard that the original tape still exists. Maybe Neil will release it some day. It has two of favorite Neil songs: "Alburquerque" (which is easy to cover on your Larrivee) and "Tired Eyes" which kind of explains the whole thing.

Anyways, enough for now. All this stuff is available through the many biographies, etc about Neil.

I love "Borrowed Tune"...but then, I love Lady Jane by the Stones.
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »

Ain't got no T-Bone from Hawks and Doves.

Ducktrapper! Leaves should be turned by now in T-Bay, no? Did you see my earlier bit about Steve Earle playing your "Townes" album live on Austin City Limits the other night? It was a good show.

Pretty sure "T-Bone" appears (nine minutes long) on Re-Ac-Tor. Ever noticed on Hawks and Doves that you practically leap out of your chair at the harmonica opening to "Little Wing"? It has to be recorded 50% "louder" than the rest of the song. I wonder if they just set the needles wrong at the start and Neil liked the take so they went with it. Or maybe it was intentional?

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »

Ducktrapper! Leaves should be turned by now in T-Bay, no? Did you see my earlier bit about Steve Earle playing your "Townes" album live on Austin City Limits the other night? It was a good show.

Pretty sure "T-Bone" appears (nine minutes long) on Re-Ac-Tor. Ever noticed on Hawks and Doves that you practically leap out of your chair at the harmonica opening to "Little Wing"? It has to be recorded 50% "louder" than the rest of the song. I wonder if they just set the needles wrong at the start and Neil liked the take so they went with it. Or maybe it was intentional?

Right you are. Missed it by one. I was at work and unable to do what I just did. Walk over and pull out the vinyl. I guess I could have Googled. Leaves are not turning yet but the heat of the last month seems to have fallen off. Cool at night. I didn't see that ACL but I'll keep an eye out. However, while I like his music, I've seen Earle live twice and wouldn't pay to see him again. The only other act, I can think of, that I liked less after seeing them live was Crowded House.   
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »

Hope he tours this to the UK - saw him last year (reviewed on here somewhere) and was blown away, but the solo thing sounds outstanding (just like Jackson Browne's was).

Can't believe someone in this thread thought American Stars'n'Bars was one of Neil's "off" albums - with Like a Hurricane on it?? Come on.  It's worth the entry fee just for that. 

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 12:47:44 AM »

I've been listening to Neil since After the Gold Rush, but I never saw him live until Greendale -- which I loved.  Somehow the show made me like the album a lot, regardless of all the flak it took.  I saw him again a couple of years ago and liked it just as much.

Re the ticket price discussion, check out Bob Lefsetz's blog at Lefsetz.com. He's been ranting about it for months and arguing that what we are seeing right now is the final collapse of the old music-biz paradigm.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: