Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Young touring  (Read 3536 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

I've been lucky to see NY almost every year at the Bridge Benefit. But have been dying to see him on his own for quite a few years. So when he was coming to The Fox theater in Oakland. I was ecstatic,until I saw the $199 ticket price. I just could not stomach forking out $400 for me and the misses. Not sure why, but this years concert prices are ridiculous, not only Neil's shows

I'd pay it if he came here. I'd have to pay a lot more to travel to to see him in a bigger centre.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »

I've been lucky to see NY almost every year at the Bridge Benefit. But have been dying to see him on his own for quite a few years. So when he was coming to The Fox theater in Oakland. I was ecstatic,until I saw the $199 ticket price. I just could not stomach forking out $400 for me and the misses. Not sure why, but this years concert prices are ridiculous, not only Neil's shows

The price of concert tickets has skyrocketed...guess that's why I don't go to many concerts anymore!

jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »

Not sure why, but this years concert prices are ridiculous, not only Neil's shows

They say that musicians used to tour in order to promote the sale of their recordings (LPs, anyone?).  In this digital age, they tour to make money, as the sales of CDs continue to decline.  I suspect that ticket prices are increasing to make up for the lower revenues from sales of a "hard copy".

jimmy

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »

A $400 plus night out - at some point the masses will push back as that is utterly crazy even for one of the all time greatest NY

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »

A $400 plus night out - at some point the masses will push back as that is utterly crazy even for one of the all time greatest NY

I have to agree. There's only a handful of performers I would even consider spending that kind of money to witness. I paid $9.00 to see Dylan and  The Band in 1974. That was five hours' work as a record store clerk. Today, $400.00 would be three days' work after taxes. Yes, something's wrong.
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »

I remember when Aerosmith wanted $19 for a ticket to see them at the Montreal Forum circa 1976. We all thought they were jaded, bloated sell outs trying to rip us off during their brief period of fame! I love Neil Young. And won't pay $400 (plus service charges) to see him. That's half way to a really good used D-03 that I can play "Don't Cry No Tears" on over and over for a lifetime.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »

OK, OK....I'll pay the $400. Rats.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

I've been a fan since the Buffalo days and own everything thats available plus but $400 is almost a mortgage payment.Nobodies worth that much.Even if I had the money I'd rather save it to get an L05/12 string or an L09FM/12 string with 12 fret neck joint on either.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »

I've been a fan since the Buffalo days and own everything thats available plus but $400 is almost a mortgage payment.Nobodies worth that much.Even if I had the money I'd rather save it to get an L05/12 string or an L09FM/12 string with 12 fret neck joint on either.

You're right and since Young is not likely to return here to play, it's easy for me to say I'd pay up. $400.00? Then again, maybe not.   
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »

I was happy when they released a bunch of his "off" stuff on CD's ...finally  
American Stars and Bars
On the Beach
Hawks and Doves
Reactor
Everybody's Rockin
This Note's for Yoy
Time Fades Away (live)

As he sang.. are there any new matters to discuss?
Yeah, live music is better bumper stickers should be issued
The man said live music is better bumper stickers should be issued....
all those in favor signify by saying aye........AAAYYYYYYEEEEEEEE

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »

At the time, a friend of mine had a bunch of t-shirts made with LIVE MUSIC ARE BETTER on the front. I can't tell you how many times someone tried to "correct" the shirt.   
bigpineapple

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

Neil Young's my favourite artist and I've never seen him live (my age plays a massive factor in that)

This new "Twisted Road" tour seems to be fantastic. Judging from the write ups and looking at his set lists, it looks like it's one of the best tours he's done for YEARS (Greendale sounded great... but I would much rather see Neil Young solo).

I just hope he creates a European leg of the tour before he ends... I would love to see him. It would honestly make my year- And yes, I would actually pay the extortionate price. (well... nothing above £200. That IS a bit over the top)

PLEASE COME TO THE U.K NEEEEILLLLL.

L-09e
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »

I was happy when they released a bunch of his "off" stuff on CD's ...finally  
American Stars and Bars
On the Beach
Hawks and Doves
Reactor
Everybody's Rockin
This Note's for Yoy
Time Fades Away (live)

As he sang.. are there any new matters to discuss?
Yeah, live music is better bumper stickers should be issued
The man said live music is better bumper stickers should be issued....
all those in favor signify by saying aye........AAAYYYYYYEEEEEEEE

I was surprised a little while ago when I read that those albums never made to CD (until recently). Not sure who was the cause. I know Neil has a thing for DVD audio over CD - and basically prefers analogue to begin with ("I heard a perfect echo die/into a wall of digital sound"). Re-Ac-tor and Everybody's Rockin are indeed "off" albums - and they feature some of Neil's best/worst stuff like "T-Bone" and "Kinda Fonda Wonda". But Time Fades Away and On The Beach are not strangers. Time Fades Away followed Harvest and is important if only just for that. Neil wasn't going to stay in the middle of the road. And it's got "Don't Be Denied" - which is still played live.

On the Beach has "Walk On", "On the Beach", "For the Turnstiles" and, of course, "Ambulance Blues". Ambulance Blues has more quotable lines than I can give you here.  On The Beach is the sister album to Tonight's The Night. And Tonight's the Night is usually regarded as Neil highest AND lowest point - in typical Neil Young fashion - and therefore his best recording. Put it this way, it was recorded at his ranch over two or three days with a cast of characters and lots of boozing to all hours of the morning. Recorded live. No overdubs. The record company begged Neil to re-record it. Release was delayed for two years. And he did. But only some of it. The rest stands as-is. Out of key, out of voice, mistakes, fire crackles...wonderful stuff. Even a very, very young Nils Lofgren (currently with the E-Street Band) on "Speakin' Out". I've heard that the original tape still exists. Maybe Neil will release it some day. It has two of favorite Neil songs: "Alburquerque" (which is easy to cover on your Larrivee) and "Tired Eyes" which kind of explains the whole thing.

Anyways, enough for now. All this stuff is available through the many biographies, etc about Neil.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
bigpineapple

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »

Oh, and Bert Jansch is a special guest as well.

I mean, c'mon.... Neil Young AND Bert Jansch. ON THE SAME NIGHT.

That would be a concert to remember...

L-09e
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »

It's not exactly his best stuff except Time Fades Away and On the Beach but there's nuggets in that stream. Having all those records on vinyl has permitted me to have it on CD, for a long time now. Ah the wonder of modern ... wonders!    
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »

It's not exactly his best stuff except Time Fades Away and On the Beach but there's nuggets in that stream. Having all those records on vinyl has permitted me to have it on CD, for a long time now. Ah the wonder of modern ... wonders!    
'Tis a wonder Ducktrapper. I have them on vinyl also, but did not exactly take care of them. It never occured to me that they wouldn't continue to be in print. So I played them, scratched them, spilled beer on them. etc. Do you remember when Re-Actor was in the remainder bins for 3.99? And people stayed away from Time Fades Away in droves. American Stars and Bars was basically a flop (and probably the very first "grunge" album when no one knew what that was - we just thought Neil didn't put very much effort into it!). I do have one really cool album from that "lost vinyl" period: Journey Through the Past Soundtrack. It has the 20 min version of Words (same version appears for six minutes on Harvest but gets cut off). It isn't rare. You can buy a perfect one on e-bay for $20. But I like just for that song. Takes up an entire side. Sometimes it just drones on and I rip it off the turntable. But when you are in the mood for it it really goes.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »

Sometimes having too much money and time on your hands is not a good thing. Greendale comes to mind, as well as Renaldo and Clara.
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 04:15:08 PM »

My wife was going to surprise me with tickets for the Fox shows, when she saw the price she called to see if it was a typo. Didn't go.

How about Burt Jansch, Dennis Wilson, Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor acoustic all on the same stage on the same day all but Trent playing with Neil Young. The Bridge Benefit is not only a good cause but probably one of the bests shows of the year.

The Dude abides.

madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »

Sometimes having too much money and time on your hands is not a good thing. Greendale comes to mind, as well as Renaldo and Clara.

I actually liked Greendale. Saw it live too. But not for the lyrics. I like it for the backbeat from Crazy Horse and Neil's "sound" on guitar. "Bandit" (probably about his brother and the pot problems) is pretty good. But really I just like the way the songs maintain that steady beat with Neil's leads over top it all.

Renaldo and Clara.....

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »

The Bridge Benefit is not only a good cause but probably one of the bests shows of the year.

I have a song from that. David Bowie singing Heroes with some basic acoustic accompaniment. Good stuff. And another one with Neil doing "I am a Child". Did you see David Bowie play The Bridge Benefit?

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: