Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Voodoo Electric  (Read 8922 times)
madoclake

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »

I found a Larrivee Voodoo electric guitar. It is a V shape. Anyone got info?

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »

I found a Larrivee Voodoo electric guitar. It is a V shape. Anyone got info?

Its rare. post a picture...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »

"Found" meaning you purchased it, or that you've seen one for sale? If you haven't purchased it, I'm pertty sure some forumites would be interested in the where-abouts of it.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »

Picture is attached.

Used guitar dealer has possession. I am considering buying it. I just don't know very much about it. I called the seller. He doesn't have any backgound either. Just says he thinks it is mid-eighties. I was hoping someone on the Forum knew a bit about this guitar. Any one know much about the Voodoo?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »

I have it's sister. It's a killer little axe. If it's not too much, I'd snag it.

madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »

Got no point of reference. Not sure about rules. Ducktrapper knows ducks have bills and it needs six. No idea.

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »

Got no point of reference. Not sure about rules. Ducktrapper knows ducks have bills and it needs six. No idea.

Mine cost me four of my bills. It's an Ebaby. I can't tell what kind of pup from the pic. Mine has a hand wound Jean Larrivée model. Nice fast neck. Ebony fb is interesting. Light body. I don't know what it is. Alder perhaps. One pup, one volume pot. Simple as snot. It seemed like a decent deal at the time. The one you show appears to have some kind of Bigsby like thing going on. The V's have more panache, perhaps so they might go for a little more. I couldn't say. All I can say for sure is, if mine is any indication and you favour V's, it could easily be a very nice addition to anyone's collection.  
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »

If you wanted more info on it, you can probably pull the serial number off of it and email it Larrivee. Ask what woods, pick ups, etc are used. It won't give you any help pricing it, but it would define exactly what you're getting.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »

Picture is attached.

Used guitar dealer has possession. I am considering buying it. I just don't know very much about it. I called the seller. He doesn't have any backgound either. Just says he thinks it is mid-eighties. I was hoping someone on the Forum knew a bit about this guitar. Any one know much about the Voodoo?

I'll give you 600 for it - reference enough Don't see too many like that. Don't hesitate

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »

I am no fan of '80s-era pointy-head guitars, but the Larrivees are considered to be very good examples of the genre.  As you may know, the story is that the bottom had dropped out of the acoustic market in the '80s, so Larrivee got into electrics to keep the company alive, and of course they made the kinds of electrics that were popular at the time.  When the acoustic market bounced back, Larrivee dropped the electrics (until the new RS-4 a couple of years ago).  Everything I've read suggests that they put as much care into these electrics as they always did (and do) into their acoustics.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
scuba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:15:34 AM »

Hi, I found this forum while searching for more information on a guitar project that I'd like to restore. It belonged to my son, he bought it used in the '90s and converted it from left handed to right handed. I'd like to restore it to as close to its original condition as I can. Does anyone know what the original pickups were? Any tips on getting stickers off?  whistling

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »

Does anyone know what the original pickups were?

The early ( 82 to about 84) had mainly EMG pickups. Later Larrivée   built a pickup winding machine  and produced in house PUPS.  it became the stock pickup for LS and RS electrics, while the EMGs were offered as an extra cost option.

Replacement pickups were fighting for market share then as well with many samples from companies trying to get OEM business and if those PUPS had acceptable performance, the test guitars were sold with them installed. So you could find a 80's Larrivée electric with pickups other than Larrivée  or EMG. It wouldn't necessarily mean the pickups had been replaced.

Hope this helps some - guess you can't go wrong with EMG installed

The model you have I do not see often and I believe would still have been called an RS ( neck-thru) or LS ( bolt on neck)

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »

The bridge is a Kahler top mount on both no spring mount thru to the back.What pu's I couldn't tell you,More then likely there Schaller tuners.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:52 AM »

scuba

you'll have a devill of a time making it original.....if you plan on playing it go with dimarzio crunch lab and tone zone...nickel strings and take a lesson,,,,,,total cost with wiring and lesson 500 donuts

almost forgot ...see if your son still has his Marshall halfstack,,,if not another 2000 for a Mesa rig and your neighbors will never bother you again...

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
scuba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

Thank you for the information!

It is a set neck, not a bolt on.

I have the original left-handed Schaller tuners and Kahler whammy and will check craigslist for EMG pickups.

He played it through a 100 watt Randall half stack with an Acoustic 6 x 10" bass cab on the bottom. The neighbours were thankful when he moved. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »

scuba ... are you restoring it as a lefty or as a righty?

And ducktrapper - is your Tele-style neck-through or bolt on? Can't tell from that pic...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
scuba

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »

scuba ... are you restoring it as a lefty or as a righty?
It really works best at a Lefty- the controls really get in the way for using right-handed.
Any idea what type of knobs it had?
(the guitar got stripped by my son, he left it in my basement, but doesn't remember what he did with the missing parts)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »

It probably had the black, Gibson style "speed knobs" but I don't know for sure...others here who know these better will chime in.

Do you play lefty?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »

Any idea what type of knobs it had?
)

scuba

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »

It probably had the black, Gibson style "speed knobs" but I don't know for sure...others here who know these better will chime in.

Do you play lefty?
Thanks, I've got some of those style of knobs, though now that I look at it, it only has a Volume, no Tone.
What little I play is right-handed. I'm hoping to get it back into playable condition in order to sell it for him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: