Falling off the Larrivee bandwagon

Started by Mikeymac, July 10, 2010, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just had to toss in a couple more pics in this thread since I've updated the cosmetics with the "right" vol/tone knobs (to my eyes at least).

Now this guitar is perfect!

:arrow

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 28, 2010, 06:43:58 PM

Now this guitar is perfect!

:arrow

HOWEVER ... my RS-4's pickups are 10 times better than these (did some more testing tonight after getting everything soldered back together)...I will definitely be trying some different pickups.

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 28, 2010, 10:02:21 PM
HOWEVER ... my RS-4's pickups are 10 times better than these (did some more testing tonight after getting everything soldered back together)...I will definitely be trying some different pickups.

What type of sound are you looking for Mike ?  And what replacement pickups do you think will be the best to achieve it ?
I've only had experience with after-market replacements once but the Seymour Duncan 'buckers I chose were 1,000 percent better than the Epiphone p'ups they replaced.   I think I used the JB-59 for the bridge and the SH1 jazz pickup for the neck.   I thought that was a good combo.

I have a JB and a Jazz in another guitar, and they sound great. I also like DiMarzio's Air Classics and PAF pickups.

I also have a DiMarzio Moe Joe and PAF Joe set in one of my Holdsworth's, and those are a great set of pickups - slightly more gain than vintage humbucker, but not much; just very articulate and sweet sounding both clean and driven - I'd be real tempted to put a set of those in this guitar, but they're not traditional looking pickups; they have open coils and allen screw slugs. I'll probably go with either a set of DM PAF's, or may try their Norton and Air Norton...

...so many pickups, so little time!

Pickup update...

Put in a set of DiMarzio PAF Classics and this guitar now has some nice tones emanating from it!  It actually sounds close to the RS-4, but just a notch or two below in terms of *boo-teek* tones.  But I can play them side by side and get some very similar tones...some of the differences can be attributed to the different scale lengths, I suspect (25.5" Larry to 25" Carvin). So I'm now a happy camper.

...still, someday I want an RS-2/P-90 model - and after I see pics of Mac's, I know I'm REALLY going to want one!

A couple updated pics of the DC150...

Rev,

That Carvin is really a "Classy Looking" guitar! I have a buddy here in Tuscaloosa that went thru
the "CARVIN PHASE" and had several of them back in the mid 90's! They are well built and very
solid guitars!

Yea! Your gonna want one of these AMBER RS-2's with P90's for sure! :beer

Mac
Mac Baker

Quote from: macsmojado on August 08, 2010, 10:41:30 AM
That Carvin is really a "Classy Looking" guitar! I have a buddy here in Tuscaloosa that went thru
the "CARVIN PHASE" and had several of them back in the mid 90's!

Well, so far my Carvin phase has lasted around 5 years, and has included 7 instruments - currently have 5 Carvins...
...in pics: CL450 (nylon string); AC375 (steel string); Holdsworth Fatboy; Holdsworth H2.

And of course, DC150 above.

So...around the same time I got my RS-2, I also received my latest Carvin, which I had ordered back in August because they gave me a $100 off coupon (for my next purchase over $1K).  I really like the feel of the DC150, so this time I ordered one that really has the "Carvin neck-through persona" - a 5-piece neck with separate body wings and top.  The plan all along was also to mod it and add a middle humbucker (like a Jerry Garcia custom guitar, or maybe LP Custom a la Peter Frampton), and that's now been done, too.

I have a set of DiMarzio pickups on order for it, which should be here next week...from bridge to neck, they will be a Mo' Joe, Humbucker from Hell, and PAF Joe.

Here's a few specs, followed by pics:

Maple neck-through with 2 walnut stripes
Mahogany body wings
Claro walnut bookmatched top
Claro walnut headstock overlay
Ebony fingerboard/no inlays
Chrome hardware
Gloss finish on body
Satin finish on back of neck

And a few more to show the pickup mod (currently has three Carvin Holdsworth pickups in it):

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 19, 2010, 04:00:51 PM
, Humbucker from Hell,

Rev R U allowed to play with those :?  :tongue:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 19, 2010, 06:15:26 PM
Rev R U allowed to play with those :?  :tongue:

Hah! Yeah, but I usually refer to it as the "Humbucker from Gehenna" (another name for 'Hell' that Jesus uses ... although he also just refers to "hell" form time to time...he's not shy about it).